Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Barfield traded to the Indians

MLB ERA

Josh Barfield traded to the Indians

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...9padtrade.html

for Triple-A third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and Triple-A pitcher Andrew Brown.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Yah I added that to the "offical" link
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    anybody know anything about these two guys we got for him?

Witlon?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I gave a link to Kouzmanoff's stats. I cannot believe they traded Barfield for an older (2 yrs) unproven third baseman. According to the article, his defense is questionable as Barfield did a solid job with his defense. Akinori Iwamura might not to comeover to the states and play another position so that could be a turn off and Soriano stinks at second. Kennedy and Loretta make good options toplay but trading more valuable pieces toget a guy like Giles doesn't seem worth it.

Damn it, I thought it was for Marte when I heard "two triple a prospects" on 1090 moments ago.

Either way, I'm very excited because now I am fairly positive we will be trading for Marcus Giles who provides us with a decent leadoff hitter (roids or no roids).

I believe management viewed Barfield the same as I did: decent hitter, Ks too much and walks too little, not GREATspeed, and will enver hit more than 15-20 homeruns, but most importantly, IS AT THE PEAK OF HIS VALUE.

I trust Alderson and Towers' judgement on this one, especially since the Indian's farm system is so deep. Nice job, FO.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OBBoltsFan
    Either way, I'm very excited because now I am fairly positive we will be trading for Marcus Giles who provides us with a decent leadoff hitter (roids or no roids).

I believe management viewed Barfield the same as I did: decent hitter, Ks too much and walks too little, not GREATspeed, and will enver hit more than 15-20 homeruns, but most importantly, IS AT THE PEAK OF HIS VALUE.

Ok Barfield hit 13 homers and stole 21 bases IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON!! To say he could never hit more than 15 is down right stupid. Plus he only struck out 81 times which was 4th on the team. Giles is far from an ideal leadoff man too. He struck out 105 times last year and only hit 11 homers. He did sport a better OBP but isn't nearly as good with the glove or does he possess the speed of Barfield.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Andrew Brown was the third player that the Dodgers received along with Brian Jordan and Odalis Perez in the trade of Gary Sheffield to the Braves. Paul DePodesta later included Brown in the trade for Milton Bradley.

MLB ERA
    Barfield "IS AT THE PEAK OF HIS VALUE" after his rookie campaign..........lmfao that might be the dumbest quote ever posted in a forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Ok Barfield hit 13 homers and stole 21 bases IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON!! To say he could never hit more than 15 is down right stupid. Plus he only struck out 81 times which was 4th on the team. Giles is far from an ideal leadoff man too. He struck out 105 times last year and only hit 11 homers. He did sport a better OBP but isn't nearly as good with the glove or does he possess the speed of Barfield.
    I think it's a bit more stupid to accuse someone of claiming something they never claimed; I said Barfield will never hit more than 15 TO 20 homeruns, which he won't.

And it doesn;t amtter if your leadoff man strikes out, as he has no one to advance anyways; all that matters isif he can ge ton base, which barfield never has been able to do consistently. On top of that, sicne Barfield can't hit leadoff, he has no where else to bat but the 8 hole where EVEN THEN HE CAN'T GET ON BASE WHEN THE DAMN PITCHER IS BEHIND HIM.

Trust me, I am a Padres fan and watch every game, we are not missing out on anything when we're getting a big time 3B prospect in Kouz and a solid prospect in Brown.

In Giles' worst season, it was still arguably better than Barfield's season last year, so you can do the math: Barfield or Giles + stud 3Bman + Brown.

Or perhaps you know more than Alderson and Towers, certainly a possiblity.

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Barfield "IS AT THE PEAK OF HIS VALUE" after his rookie campaign..........lmfao that might be the dumbest quote ever posted in a forum thread
    Please explain how that's dumb? Though a lotof us Padres fans thought Barfield was some big time prospect before entering the bigs, this wasn't actually the reality of his value; a lot of you just thought he was because he was OUR best prospect. Since Barfield posted numbers that he probably won't improve drastically in the majors (something I've been confident of for a long time, considering he's never walked enough or hit for a lot of power), he value has peaked in the eyes of outside organizations. Luckily for us, Alderson and Towers (as well as me) have seen enough to know otherwise.

We have had a HORRIBLE farm system the past decade, hence the out with the old (Barfield, Burroughs, Eaton, three "can't miss prospects") and in with the new (Agon, Young, kouz, Brown). It's a shame you guys don't udnerstand this.

And lastly, there is a heap of 2Bmen to choose from or acquire, and we have now FINALLY realized that this is never the case with solid 3Bmen, particularly this offseason. Good luck elsewhere, Barfield.

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    By the way, I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult me. I come to this forum to debate ideas and viewpoints, so I'd love for you to explain why you disagree with something I've stated, but please don't insult me.

I know it's silly to actually get offended by internet insults, but this kind of upset me, I don't know.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OBBoltsFan
    I think it's a bit more stupid to accuse someone of claiming something they never claimed; I said Barfield will never hit more than 15 TO 20 homeruns, which he won't.

And it doesn;t amtter if your leadoff man strikes out, as he has no one to advance anyways; all that matters isif he can ge ton base, which barfield never has been able to do consistently. On top of that, sicne Barfield can't hit leadoff, he has no where else to bat but the 8 hole where EVEN THEN HE CAN'T GET ON BASE WHEN THE DAMN PITCHER IS BEHIND HIM.

Trust me, I am a Padres fan and watch every game, we are not missing out on anything when we're getting a big time 3B prospect in Kouz and a solid prospect in Brown.

In Giles' worst season, it was still arguably better than Barfield's season last year, so you can do the math: Barfield or Giles + stud 3Bman + Brown.

Or perhaps you know more than Alderson and Towers, certainly a possiblity.
    Ok I find it completely stupid to say this AFTER ONE SEASON!!! Giles is not a good leadoff man so I can't see where you are coming from. That is one of the main needs for the Braves this offseason which is a leadoff man. You said Barfield strikes out too much and Giles strikes out more than him so you aren't making any sense. Giles doesn't even have that great of a OBP. Barfield has more speed, defense and will improve as a hitter but Giles is going in the opposite direction. And saying that you never claimed that Barfield will never hot over 15 to 20 homers is still saying he will never hit over 15 homers. Just because you put "to 20" doesn't change that. Barfield had a great rookie year hitting .280 and 13 homers and playing great defense. He is only 23 and WILL improve.

MLB ERA
    I was simply making sure you got credit for that brilliant thought.....

Saying a player has reached their pinnacle after their rookie season is truly brilliant beyond comparison.....And even suggesting that a rookie who just hit 13 HR's can't hit 15-20, and is "AT THE PEAK OF HIS VALUE" should automatically open one up to being crucified.....Surely you must see how foolish of a statement this was.....you're essentially suggesting that Barfield had a career year as a rookie.......lol.......good god man

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Kouzmanoff doesn't have a lot of tools, but he's been real successful in the minors the last couple years. BBA says below average speed, average D at third, with a good line-drive stroke. Often breaks down his swing and fixes holes that he may find. I'm betting the Padres acquired him for 3B, even though he's playing 1B in the AFL. He doesn't project well, but he's hit the last two years so there is a chance.

Brown was probably dealt because he was out of options, projects a set up man. Fastball runs 92-97, with a hard breaking slider. He was working on a change as a starter, but when he moved to the pen he scrapped it. Fixed delivery problems in 2005, and resulted in him being dominant that season.

Not enough for Barfield though, even if Kouzmanoff can play 3B.

MLB ERA
    Totally agree....unless Kouz turns into another Wright.....and Indians fans say that Brown has a high ceiling but bad control issues.....maybe Balsey can straighten him out, if HE'S still here

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast