Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Barfield traded to the Indians

MLB ERA
    If both the guys we traded for don't pan out then obviously it's a bad trade. That goes without saying...

But, likewise, if they both turn out pretty damn good then it's a great trade.
    That, too, goes without saying.

My point is you two are putting Josh Barfield up on a pedistool of which he does not belong on.

Was he good? yeah. Was he so good that we should've only traded him for bonafide superstars? NO.

Yes I was a bit astonished when I learned we traded him for minor leaguers.. I, personally, wouldn't have undersold him that much, but I'm also going to keep an open mind on this because these two rookies were apparantly rated well.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Didn't know if you guys saw this or not.
    Yes I had......Counsell, gross.........Nomar, no thanks I think playing 1st prolonged his health, playing 2nd would shorten it......of the three I'd take Giles I guess......
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    Marcus Giles is only 28, has a career .285 BA, .808 OPS and plays solid defense.

I think i'd rather have Barfield with his higher upside and better potential to get better, but that wouldn't be something for me to foam at the mouth over...especially if Kouz and Brown succeed.

I would love Nomar, although his age would be reason for some concern.

If we got Counsell i'd be pretty steamed.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    If both the guys we traded for don't pan out then obviously it's a bad trade. That goes without saying...

But, likewise, if they both turn out pretty damn good then it's a great trade.
    That, too, goes without saying.

My point is you two are putting Josh Barfield up on a pedistool of which he does not belong on.

Was he good? yeah. Was he so good that we should've only traded him for bonafide superstars? NO.

Yes I was a bit astonished when I learned we traded him for minor leaguers.. I, personally, wouldn't have undersold him that much, but I'm also going to keep an open mind on this because these two rookies were apparantly rated well.
    HWood....I'm thinking that if it had been Marte/Brown for Barfield, that I'd be satisfied with this deal.......do you see what I'm saying......and lets get him off the pedistool.......it's never safe to stand on a stool like that....back on his pedestal where he belongs

MLB ERA
    but Marte's unproven as well...

MLB ERA
    HWood......I've said that if they both pan out this is fine......if not, it clearly wasn't enough to make the trade....thats pretty much all I've been saying about it.....

I have high hopes that Kouz becomes the man at 3rd.......I also think that if we resign Balsey, he can fix Brown....... I hope we're at the winning side of this deal for sure......just concerned

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Superstars is a no but proven talent with no history of injuries, yes. I was dead wrong last year about Gonzalez but the Padres didn't trade near the talent to get him. I hope I am wrong about Kouzmanoff too but Petco might kill his power. I do think he will hit better than Branyan.

MLB ERA
    Yes he is.....but he has more upside, more raw power, and is younger

MLB ERA
    Branyan is what he is..........IMO......if given a real chance, which he has never been given......allowed to have 500+ ABs.......Branyan's #s would rival Dunns....... .230/35+/90......while racking up 150K's, and 100BB.......this is pretty much how his #'s have always projected........but the K's turn off people so much......I'm amazed that Dunn has been given a chance while Branyan hasn't.....funny how certain guys just don't get their shots, while others do.....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    That's true but he has more experience at a higher level of baseball and a better defender.

MLB ERA
    Exactly.......a better two prospects and this isn't even a conversation.....it's just we traded away a guy who proved himself at the MLB level for an unproven guy that is older ? and a questionmark reliever ?

MLB ERA
    Marte/Brown and I don't debate this at all.........plus Marte is MLB ready.....I've heard Kouz might not be......ugh to that thought

You're telling me you REALLY thought it was Marte who was one of the two "AAA propescts" mentioned as the news first broke out on the radio? Come on, dude. I mean, iw as praying and hoping that somehow we had completely tricked them into getting Marte, but I even told my friend on the phone that the chances of that are slim to none. He too was overvaluing Barfield.

Did you know that Barfield wasn't even a TOP 50 prospect coming into his rookie year? Guess where Marte stands on that list. Top 5. Do you think these scouts are paid for nothing? They're usually right, or at least in terms of trade value before thes prospects develop, they are almost always right.

The fact that you all continue to claim Barfield would be ROY in other years is ludicrous. When Aaron Miles had a batting average of .290+ and was in the top ten in baseball in singles his rookie year, he STILL wasn't even in the top three for vote getters; oh yeah, and guess what? He was traded for Ray King after that season. Barfield posted an unimpressive .710 or so OPS, and you guys are crowning him the equivelance of David Wright in waiting.

Let that sink in for a moment... RAY KING. There's a reason 2bman are not very valuable; only about 5 of them post impressive offensive numbers, the others just make contact and take up space. Barfield is a part of this category, and I don't see him getting magical powers anytime soion unless it's through the help of steroids.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Miles played another season at Colorado before being traded. He hit .281 the next season. King caused problems in St. Louis and the Rockies needed bullpen help. The Rockies had Jamey Carroll waiting behind Miles. And Miles' rookie year I wouldn't have had him in the top 3 either. 100% different scenario. And you can't say this
    The fact that you all continue to claim Barfield would be ROY in other years is ludicrous.
    when it isn't a FACT. I said he would have been a candidate.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    That's true but he has more experience at a higher level of baseball and a better defender.
    I was simply pointing out that he's also unproven because the reigning argument was that it's a dumb trade because we traded a "proven" 2nd baseman for two "unproven" players.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast