Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Payroll

AA ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006..._048_22_06.txt

LMFAO........Stauffer wouldn't have even gotten the call up, and his ONE start, but Thompson had already been called up and used .......God you're so off base with your thought process it's really scary....
    The reason why I did not click on your link was because I have read like a hundred articles about this, why would I bother with one more?

First, I will address the one thing that sounds right, the 11:30 call, I was trying to make sure no one could come back and jump all over a second or two wrong, but that sounds right and you go the opposite direction, you have to subtract 3:30 hours from my time line from his call up to taking the mound, so that would be about 8:30 hours from call to first pitch and of course 7:30 hours from call up to being told he was starting, and you say Thompson did that twice, well I'll be damned, I missed that completely, I was under the impression that he had at least 48 hours in between his getting to the team and his start, now I could be wrong here, my math is not what it used to be, but last I checked, 48 hours { and in most cases more} was a lot more time to adjust, than Stauffer’s 8:30, I am pretty sure about that, but I’ll did up my dead math teacher and ask her and get back to you on that.

As for the rest, get off it, compare Stauffer’s numbers in the minors and Peavy's in the majors, you defend Peavy as the ace and now you want to dump Stauffer, even though their numbers are very close, ya right!!! Let me give you a hint, you put the numbers up in the minors, before you put them up in the majors and Stauffer’s has done it twice now and both times it was under extreme direst. True, Peavy was hurt last year, but he still had the second most strike outs in the entire MBL, you judge by the sliding scale you have to with the minors, because the pitchers do not have the same defense behind them, not to mention the ball parks are usually built against them and pro offense, hence will not do as well in a apple for apple season, and Stauffer's is a damn good pitcher. Hell, you can even compare his numbers against the others in the minors, and if you throw out his first few starts down there and last few, he was not only comparable, he was better than they were and you think he was about to drop off the prospect screen NOT, Stauffer’s problem last year came solely from attitude, he was never given a chance and was pissed off about it and it showed in his pitching when he first hit the minors, then he got himself under control and started cruising again, but of course when we hit the end of the year and we were going to the play offs, with him thinking he should be going with us, he got pissed again and his number showed it.

Anyone with eyes can see what happened PFF; justify only 3 innings in preseason? You can't, you had others that flat out did not have a chance and a guy you knew could pitch at that level, but you give them opportunities and not him, why? And then you expect him to go down to the minors and throw perfect games Sure PFF, you drop him off of the prospect list, hell cut him even, and see how fast the Giants pick him up and give him a chance at their rotation and you know what, he will make it.

P.S. I am not saying Peavy was the old Peavy last year, but Peavy and Stauffer both had issues, but I believe Peavy’s were physical and look forward to seeing him get back to being himself this year now that he has had the proper time to heal and has the proper motivation in Maddux being there to threaten his spot as ace, and hopefully soon Wells too to start training now, but Stauffer’s was mental and I can only hope I will like what I see of him next year. If he gets a real chance, you will see a great up and coming pitcher, but if they screw him over again, I am pretty sure he will reciprocate and after he gets his trade explain to you in no uncertain terms why he belongs in the Majors.
    John B.

AA ERA

Padres

Oh and save the dissertation......you're far too long winded especially when you're spewing BS
    You go spastic any time someone disagrees with you, even if they do not know they are and are tell other to save the dissertation, I suggest a anger management course for you, or is this your doctors recommended therapy, take it out in cyberspace, instead of real humans
    John B.

AA ERA

Padres

Stauffers ----2005 Padres 3-6...5.33era...15gms...81.0 IP
    Thompson's --2006 Padres 4-5...4.99era...19gms...92.0 IP
    Hensley's -----2006 Padres 11-12..3.71era...37gms...187 IP

Hensley > Thompson > Stauffer

At least that's why my dartboard says........along with the majority of dartbards
    Now I did it ever occur to you to factor in that Thompson and Hensley kinda had like the eighth best defense in the league behind them and that is the end of season stat, throughout most of the season they were number one or damn close to it? And you can throw CY into that group too, but it goes especially for Thompson who’s call ups and send downs were at the times we were at or near number one in defense, whereas the other two had to take the lumps all year long, if you can call being in the top 8 taking lumps,

On the other hand, good old Stauffer had to prove to you that he was as good or better than they were with the 6th worst, or if you like it better the 25th best defense {you can find that little tid bit in the foxsports stats section} because you are not willing to look at anything but what is put in front of you by the press. Now you don’t think that might have benefited Thompson, Hensley or CY any? Or maybe hurt Stauffer a little? You know in little areas like wins, losses and his ERA, that little thing called defense would never affect those numbers, now would it PFF?

P.S. Mark Twain once said that there are three kinds of lies.
    "Lies, damn lies and statistics" and that is what you posts here amounts to or in my terminology, your statistics that weighted your dart that you are throwing at your dartboard. Give CY, Hensley and Thompson, Stauffer's defense, OR give Stauffer their defense and see who does what, don't just toss that out as if it means something, because it is less than toilet paper, unless you have figured out how to wipe your hinny with binary and bits.

John B.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    LMFAO......you're full of excuses aren't you.....I'm sure Bochy & the FO didn't think of that either, which is why they chose Thompson over Stauffer whenever possible last year....and Hensley over both as a full time starter.....

John....you're dumb.....
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA
    Hey fellas, I hate to break up 6th grade debate class, but we all know Peavy wasn't the same Peavy last season. Stauffer was given his shot 2 years ago, and frankly, didn't impress a lot of people. Yes, Stauffer came in and pitched 1 good game last season and it was at a huge point, but I still think Thompson is the better of the 2.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA
    Yah 6th grade...meet me on the playground at lunch...lol

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Johndbr
    No, I am not insane, Stauffer got screwed and the only way the Pads could have advertised it any better last year would be if they had taped a sign to the back of his shirt saying, we are going to screw thing guy this year, just wait and see.
    You bring up, yourself, later on in this post that Stauffer didn't have that impressive of a ST, and he wasn't that great in AAA either. It appears to me that Stauffer screwed Stauffer.

He only had three innings of work, in one game, no more, that is it, sink or swim on one days work to try and prove himself and he did better than a few of those that they did not send down to the minors, like CY and Hensley, they just never gave him the opportunity to knock the number back down, like they gave them. CY, walked out of preseason with a 9.90 ERA, compared to Stauffer's 12.00, hands down better, right? WRONG, CY had 20 innings to catch his grove and knock this ERA down from whatever god awful spot it topped out at in preseason to the 9.90 that he had when they left preseason and sent Stauffer back to the minors, you give him the same amount of opportunities, where would he have he been when they broke camp? Don't forget, Stauffer started and end preseason with a 12.00 ERA, they gave him no second tries like the others, no second starts, not even a relief appearance to try and knock that down, just one shot in one game, that is it, sink or swim with that, but hey, we will give the other pretty boy more opportunities, just not Stauffer. True, with those opportunities, his ERA might have gone up, but most pitchers, like CY go down as they catch their grove in preseason and if he went like the rest, and do not forget we have Balsley for a pitching coach the odds are in our pitchers favor there to go down, not up, what number would he have left preseason with? 2. Something; 3. Something? We will never know, he had only 3 innings, in one day and then it was sit on the bench and watch the pretty boys pitch. It was not much better with Hensley, a little I grant you, but not much, he left camp with a ERA of 8.25, once again you would think it would be hands down proof of him being better, unless you look beneath the Pads PR bandwagon for the facts, he had 12 innings to work with, keep him at his first three innings and where would he be at? An ERA of 20; 30, 40 or more maybe? Who knows, I do not know where to find those facts, but if you do, feel free to post them, cause I know they are not pretty, just if you do, make sure to post links, I want to analyze the info myself, I find these nice people putting out number like to twist them to what they want them to say, instead of what they do say and I can’t figure that out from just raw data {oh btw, all these numbers are coming off of the ESPN's Padres stats page or I would post the links too, feel free to dissect them too. Would not be the first time I was misled, but I doubt it this time. You just do not give one guy 3 innings and others 12 and 20 and then say he is not as good, when he started out better than they did in the first place. Give them equal opportunities, against equal competition and then I will give you the time of day. Say hey here is three innings, sink or swim with them, while you give others 4 times, plus more innings to do the same and I cry foul and then when you mix in the Dodgers game I not only cry foul, I say you stink, cause that is what those kinds of actions do, stink like a out house in the middle of a heat wave.
    It was hard for me to read through this run-on sentence, but the jist I get out of it is that you're saying Stauffer was apparantly screwed because he wsn't given the shot Chris Young or Clay Hensley were after they, too, had poor spring trainings.

Chris Young had a full season under his belt at the major league level in which he had a great season. Can Stauffer say that?

Clay Hensley also proved himself at the major league level already, albeit not in the starting role just yet.

The fact that you're comparing Tim Stauffer to Chris Young really disturbs me.

Now the one guy in all of this who might be better than I thought is Thompson, I never really paid attention to him till the latter part of the year, way past his call up and preseason, but going back to his preseason opportunity/ies, he too went 3 innings, but got a 5.41 ERA out of it, which is pretty damn good, but can be very misleading. I know Stauffer started, and I know he started against a good team very early in the preseason, I do not know much about Thompson's work. Did he start? Or was that individual clean up innings that he was brought in as relief? Was it early in the year, like Stauffer when our defense was basically the keystone infield or was it in the last few games where they were coming around and starting to show what we came to rely on throughout the year to save the day for us, game after game after game?
    My connection out here is too slow to look up the numbers, but Mike Thompson was doing great at AAA...Stauffer? not so much.

No matter how you twist it, at least for me, that has presented a case for paying attention to him this year to see what he does in preseason, but if you do not think Stauffer is the real thing, after all he has done for the team, then you went to school on the short bus, because the case is as about as clear cut, open and shut as it gets.
    And now you're jumping to the wrong conclusions here.

I'm not saying Stauffer doesn't deserve a chance to bid for playing time, of course he does. I even said I think he can still be good.

I simply took exception in you rating him above Clay Hensley. I further took exception to the crux of your argument being based off a, on your own admission, piss poor spring training performance.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA
    Not to pile on, but we all know ST performances mean JACK. They're a way for pitchers to work on their mechanics, spot the fastball and just get ready for the season. Chris Young was torched in ST, but he had a great season for the Padres. Don't come in here bringing up ST numbers and think that means something, you should know it doesn't.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA
    Stauffer was 7-12 5.53 ERA in AAA
    Thompson was 6-1 3.76 ERA in AAA

Case Closed !

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA
    I can't believe anyone would use a pitcher's ST numbers to prove a point.....
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA
    1B AGon.....................380 k
    2B Giles......................3-4M
    3B Kouzmanoff.............300K
    SS Khalil Greene...........750 k-1.25 mil (arbi guess)
    LF Sledge....................380k
    CF Cameron.................7 mil
    RF Giles.......................9 mil
    C Bard........................700k - 1 mil (arbi guess)
    Bench Branyan.............1.25 mil
    Bench Bowen...............380 k
    Bench PMac.................300K
    Bench Jose Cruz Jr.........650k
    $25.09M

SP Peavy.....................4.75 mil
    SP CY.........................600 k
    SP Hensley..................380k
    SP Maddux...................9M
    SP OPEN D. Wells or Mulder 6M+ incentives
    $20.73M...if Wells or Mulder signs for the above

CL Hoffman 6.5 mil
    SU Linebrink 1.75 mil trade for Pena
    RP Meredith 380 k
    RP Strickland 550 k
    RP Brown 330k ?
    RP Ring 330k?
    RP Brocail 750k
    $10.59M

$56.41M spent....as far as I can tell....please update if you see something missing..... or my math is off ( which is always possible )

MLB ERA
    This was created by someone else......and it's more detailed than mine, so here ya go guys....now you all know exaclty where we stand with regards to money....

2007 estimates

1B Adrian Gonzalez 380 k
    2B Marcus Giles 3.25 mil plus incentives
    3B Kevin Kouzmanoff 380k
    SS Khalil Greene 750 k-1.25 mil (arbitration guess)
    LF Terrmel Sledge 380 k
    CF Mike Cameron 7 mil
    RF Brian Giles 9 mil
    C Josh Bard 700k - 1 mil (arbitration guess)
    Bench/Util IF OF Russell Branyan 1.25 mil
    2B Todd Walker 3-5 mil
    Bench/2d C Rob Bowen 380 k
    BenchUtil IF Geoff Blum 900 k plus incentives
    Bench/OF Jose Cruz Jr. 650 k

SP Jake Peavy 4.75 mil
    SP Chris Young 600 k
    SP Clay Hensley 380k
    SP Greg Maddux 10 mil
    SP OPEN
    CL Trevor Hoffman 6.5 mil
    SU Scott Linebrink 1.75 mil
    RP Cla Meredith 380 k
    RP Scott Strickland 550 k
    RP Heath Bell 380 k
    RP Royce Ring 380 k
    RP Doug Brocail 500 k plus incentives

Subtotals - $54.29-$56.99 million (does not incl. incentives)

Dead Money - unclear whether applied to 2006 or 2007 payroll
    Ryan Klesko - 500 k (for declined option)
    Mike Piazza - 750 k (for declined option)
    Rudy Seanez - 200 k (for declined option)
    Tony Gwynn - 600 k (deferred compensation)

Subotals - $56.24-$59.04 million (includes dead money)

KEY
    Bold - Signed, likely to be on roster unless traded/released
    Italics - Under team control, either via renewal or arbitration if offered
    None - FA or guesses or minor league contracts or dead money or open

AVAILABLE FUNDS - using Payroll Plus High/Low Cost Estimates

70 million payroll - 10.96-15.81 million for 1 roster spot(s)
    75 million payroll - 15.96-20.81 million for 1 roster spot(s)

NOTE: The team only "needs" a 5th starter as of this point. However, if they do not trade any players, and if they sign certain players, I may move a reliever or other player off the projected major league roster.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA
    PFF, where did that information come from? Who posted it?
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA
    That version is from the SOSD forum.......from a source that is very reliable.......why ??

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Doug Brocail? I thought that he's a free agent...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast