Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Payroll

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Now if we go with Sledge/Cruz/PMac/Branyan as our LF platoon, and just promote bullpen guys, and a bench guy from the farm, then we'll have approx. 11M left that was not spent.......at that time OBB, I'll be with you on the rant .... but until then it's clear we're on pace to use up our available payroll....
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA
    It seems like the contract negotiations between the Padres and Marcus Giles are going well. I would expect it to be done by Tuesday/Wednesday of next week, if not sooner.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA
    M.Giles--.280/12/65 ....360obp ........450 slg pct...........ops .810
    B. Giles--.295/22/85 ....400 obp .......470 slg pct...........ops .870
    AGon----.310/28/95 ....370obp ........495 slg pct...........ops .865
    Bard-----.280/22/90......385obp .......495 slg pct ..........ops .880
    Kouz----.305/25/94......400obp ........500 slg pct...........ops .900 ROY
    Cameron-.280/31/88.....380 obp........470 slg pct...........ops .850
    Branyan--.230/35/95....340obp..........540 slg pct..........ops .880
    Greene---.275/25/80....330obp..........480 slg pct..........ops .810
    pitcher spot......

wishful thinking I'm sure........but could this be our possible lineup's output ??

Peavy----15-7.......3.14 ERA.......200+IP........210k's
    CY-------17-7.......3.30 ERA.......190 IP.........180k's
    Maddux---14-6......3.89 ERA.......210 IP.........150k's
    Hensley---14-8......4.20 ERA.......190IP..........140k's
    Wells-----12-10.....4.55 ERA.......190IP..........105k's

How do you all like my dream so far ???

AA ERA

Padres

Hummm, that is your dream team? Man, I would hate to have your nightmares

Your pitching rotation looks ok, but I am not sold on Hensly as a starter yet, he is getting there, but not yet, I would swap him out with Stauffers and I am hoping you are way wrong with your lower part of the rotations ERA, unless Hensly or Stauffer, whoever gets the spot falls flat, I am hoping for the worst of our rotation to be right at 4.0 ERA at the worst and hopefully better. I really think we will sink or swim with them, you knock up that much of a ERA, with last years run production and we are not in it. Come one Balsley,do the magic chicken dance and get these guys career years.

As for your line up, I am not sold on Branyan at all yet and do not know enough about Kouz to form an opinion, I can only hope Kouz lives up to your expectations, cause I do not think Branyan will yet.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    Stauffer blows......Hensley is so far above him in quality of pitcher it's not even funny that this is now being discussed......Stauffer will be lucky to see any ML time in a Padres jersey in 07, while Hensley WILL be our #4 or #5 depending on who else we add to the rotation, Clay earned that right last year, having a damn fine 2nd half.... Thompson is also ahead of Stauffer in the "go to" role as well....Stauffer will be bumped further down when Carillo is "ready".....You should get used to the idea that Stauffer will either be traded, never play, or only play if we have major injuries at the same time in our rotation..

As far as Branyan goes......I don't think anyone is "sold" on him, but take the time to go look up the OPS of all the current candidates, and then tell me what you think ? He's shown the most production at the ML level and that's why I'm suggesting him....Not because I think he's the best player.....due strictly on production

AA ERA

Padres

Lol, the Pads may trade him, I have seen them do stupider things before, but if he blows so bad, how come Bochy did not call on any of your so called saviors last year when he was in between a rock and a hard place, instead of going with Stauffer on less than 10 hours notice, and that is including the plane ride out?

You just want to toss anyone and everyone out for reasons of your own making lol. How do you make your picks, with a dartboard and a poorly weighted dart?

It is just a matter of time before Stauffer breaks into the majors and becomes a key player on a team, you do not succeed under that kind of pressure as a loser and if the players you mentioned were so good, then Bochy would have went with them, but he went with Stauffer because they weren't and because he did we won and you can thank Stauffer for our division title, because we lose that game and guess what happens at the end of the year with that tie breaker.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    Dude you're crazy....... Stauffer had one appearance last year during Aug.....ONE...... Thompson had 16starts and 19 appearances....and when Bochy needed someone on short notice to fill in the rotation last year......IT WAS THOMPSON that got the call up.... What drugs are you taking to think that Stauffer was even a thought on this team last year.....good god

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...20padside.html
    Mike Thompson is not quite sure where his next plane flight will take him. “I could be headed for Brazil,” the right-hander said yesterday after once again dropping by Petco Park on a moment's notice to bail the Padres out of a jam.
    Got that attached to your dart board yet.....I don't throw anyone and everyone out.....suggesting that is just a sign of ignorance....cudo's on that accomplishment.....I toss out the trash, and Stauffer must be since nobody cares but you whether he starts for us again....

Get over your infatuation with Stauffer....he's low man on the totem pole, and soon to be possibly 4th in line of minor league pitchers called up....It WILL soon be Carillo, Wells, Thompson, Stauffer.....and that's if we don't make any moves providing us with more prospect starters....Oh and Stauffer has never succeeded under pressure....lmfao...if he had, he's still be on the team playing at the ML level.....Bochy avoided Stauffer because he failed him many times.....Stauffer is a waste of a roster spot, and didn't even get called up and used when rosters expanded.....LOL.....that should tell you all you need to know about that guy.....

MLB ERA
    SAN DIEGO ---- Regarded at times last season as a future stalwart in the Padres' rotation, pitcher Tim Stauffer had regressed this year to the point that it would take a true emergency for the parent club to call on his services.

A true emergency arose at about 10:30 on Monday morning. Padres general manager Kevin Towers received a call from trainer Todd Hutcheson informing him that Chan Ho Park would unlikely be able to pitch that night against Los Angeles because of a recurrence of intestinal bleeding.

The Padres didn't dare risk using ace Jake Peavy on three days of rest.

The seasonlong fallback option, rookie Mike Thompson, had already been summoned to replace the injured Clay Hensley on Saturday.
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006..._048_22_06.txt

LMFAO........Stauffer wouldn't have even gotten the call up, and his ONE start, but Thompson had already been called up and used .......God you're so off base with your thought process it's really scary....

MLB ERA
    What is your infatuation with Stauffer anyway......do you know this guy personally or something and you're just blinded by friendship or something ??

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Johndbr
    Lol, the Pads may trade him, I have seen them do stupider things before, but if he blows so bad, how come Bochy did not call on any of your so called saviors last year when he was in between a rock and a hard place, instead of going with Stauffer on less than 10 hours notice, and that is including the plane ride out?
    Perhaps the reason is due to the fact that both Mike Thompson and Clay Hensley were already in the starting rotation at the time? Perhaps that's why he was between the perverbial rock and hard place, having lost a pitcher with them two already up?

I still think Stauffer can be good, but you're insane if you think he'd be in the rotation over Clay Hensley right now.

What, exactly, does Hensley have to do to "sell" you on him as a starter?

Post something better than a 3.71 season ERA? Something better than a .250 BAA?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

AA ERA

Padres

PFF, what are you smoking, popping or shooting up? I forgot what the issue was, I think it was the first time Park went down with his intestinal stuff, however I am not sure, but the regular pitcher could not go on a pivotal game in the year, so pivotal that Peavy had not only barged into Bochy's office demanding to be allowed to start, right of being the ace as he put it, but also made it clear to the press later that day {this may have happened the night before, the Pads never rally made the time line clear to us} that he wanted to start early. Everyone wanted to step up and start that night, no one wanted to lose that game, everyone understood that losing that day could mean their season and Bochy turned them down, he told them that he had someone else in mind that he knew could save the day and for them to just concentrate on their normal time to pitch on in the rotation. At about 8 am, during his breakfast {Stauffer’s time line there}, Bochy dropped the dime to Stauffer and simply told him to get on a plane, nothing about that he was pitching that night, just to get to San Diego, or where ever they were at, ASAP and told him the flight number and that a ticket was waiting for him at the Air Port. Stauffer joke it was because he was the only one who had his cell on at that time in the morning, but Bochy made it clear later that he was going with Stauffer all the way from the moment he knew he needed a pitcher. Stauffer got there like an hour before the start of the game and was told at that point that he was starting that night.

I will cut you some slack, I will say I am off by 2 hours and say he was told 3 hours before the start of a game that could make or break our season that he was starting, WHO THE HELL, IN THE ENTIRE PADRES HISTORY HAS STARTED WITH THAT LITTLE OF NOTICE PFF? WHO? Hell, subtracting from people who are on the active roster, who the hell has ever has been called up on that short of notice before, anywhere in baseball for that matter. Now I am not saying that it has not been done before, I just want to know how many others have done it, and how they fared. My money goes on not many and that they did not fare that well, Stauffer on the other hand, not only fared well, but he also posted a 1.50 ERA on his way to WINNING THAT GAME against the ninth best scoring offense in the league. Are you seriously trying to tell me that either Hensley or Thompson came up even close to that fast and responded that well? Hensley, who as far as I can see was with the team from day one, posted a 6.0 ERA on his first start out or how about Thompson, who posted a 5.40 on his first start out and both went against weaker offenses on their first outings, not the best our division had to offer, not to mention a team fighting for a play off berth as well as our division title. I do not have a clue what you are looking at, but Stauffer got screwed last year, he should have been in Hensley’s shoes and wasn't and my only guess is it some how comes down to long term money and that KT wants him here in the long run, but no matter how you twist it, he proved last year and the year before last he can pitch in the majors and if you do not think he will do it one day, you are simply deluding yourself, but you seem to be good at that.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    short notice award goes to Thompson last year......not Stauffer.....Thompson had to do it twice....Stauffer was given a charity start as the last man on the 'go to' list....he's bottom of the barrel.....dregs.....etc...

and why don't you click on the articles I posted, and educate yourself....I posted the article talking about Stauffers ONLY ****ing appearance, and the circumstances surrounding it.....THE ONLY REASON HE WAS CALLED UP, WAS BECAUSE HENSLEY AND THOMPSON HAD BEEN USED........he was the last man available.....LAST.....in other words had there been another alternative, he wouldn't have been used.........and yes he had a great game......who has said otherwise ? Oh yah...nobody.....you however have an endless boner for this guy.....

I've never said Thompson was good s you dolt....I've said that he's above Stauffer on the 'go to' list, and guess what.......HE IS....LOL.....

Saying I'm delusional is funny coming from a guy that thinks Nady is better than Cameron, or dumping Burroughs was a mistake, or that Stauffer was an impact or would be in this rotation........that's delusional....

MLB ERA
    Oh and save the dissertation......you're far too long winded especially when you're spewing BS

MLB ERA
    Stauffers ----2005 Padres 3-6...5.33era...15gms...81.0 IP
    Thompson's --2006 Padres 4-5...4.99era...19gms...92.0 IP
    Hensley's -----2006 Padres 11-12..3.71era...37gms...187 IP

Hensley > Thompson > Stauffer

At least that's why my dartboard says........along with the majority of dartbards

AA ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    Perhaps the reason is due to the fact that both Mike Thompson and Clay Hensley were already in the starting rotation at the time? Perhaps that's why he was between the perverbial rock and hard place, having lost a pitcher with them two already up?

I still think Stauffer can be good, but you're insane if you think he'd be in the rotation over Clay Hensley right now.

What, exactly, does Hensley have to do to "sell" you on him as a starter?

Post something better than a 3.71 season ERA? Something better than a .250 BAA?
    No, I am not insane, Stauffer got screwed and the only way the Pads could have advertised it any better last year would be if they had taped a sign to the back of his shirt saying, we are going to screw thing guy this year, just wait and see.

He only had three innings of work, in one game, no more, that is it, sink or swim on one days work to try and prove himself and he did better than a few of those that they did not send down to the minors, like CY and Hensley, they just never gave him the opportunity to knock the number back down, like they gave them. CY, walked out of preseason with a 9.90 ERA, compared to Stauffer's 12.00, hands down better, right? WRONG, CY had 20 innings to catch his grove and knock this ERA down from whatever god awful spot it topped out at in preseason to the 9.90 that he had when they left preseason and sent Stauffer back to the minors, you give him the same amount of opportunities, where would he have he been when they broke camp? Don't forget, Stauffer started and end preseason with a 12.00 ERA, they gave him no second tries like the others, no second starts, not even a relief appearance to try and knock that down, just one shot in one game, that is it, sink or swim with that, but hey, we will give the other pretty boy more opportunities, just not Stauffer. True, with those opportunities, his ERA might have gone up, but most pitchers, like CY go down as they catch their grove in preseason and if he went like the rest, and do not forget we have Balsley for a pitching coach the odds are in our pitchers favor there to go down, not up, what number would he have left preseason with? 2. Something; 3. Something? We will never know, he had only 3 innings, in one day and then it was sit on the bench and watch the pretty boys pitch. It was not much better with Hensley, a little I grant you, but not much, he left camp with a ERA of 8.25, once again you would think it would be hands down proof of him being better, unless you look beneath the Pads PR bandwagon for the facts, he had 12 innings to work with, keep him at his first three innings and where would he be at? An ERA of 20; 30, 40 or more maybe? Who knows, I do not know where to find those facts, but if you do, feel free to post them, cause I know they are not pretty, just if you do, make sure to post links, I want to analyze the info myself, I find these nice people putting out number like to twist them to what they want them to say, instead of what they do say and I can’t figure that out from just raw data {oh btw, all these numbers are coming off of the ESPN's Padres stats page or I would post the links too, feel free to dissect them too. Would not be the first time I was misled, but I doubt it this time. You just do not give one guy 3 innings and others 12 and 20 and then say he is not as good, when he started out better than they did in the first place. Give them equal opportunities, against equal competition and then I will give you the time of day. Say hey here is three innings, sink or swim with them, while you give others 4 times, plus more innings to do the same and I cry foul and then when you mix in the Dodgers game I not only cry foul, I say you stink, cause that is what those kinds of actions do, stink like a out house in the middle of a heat wave.

Now the one guy in all of this who might be better than I thought is Thompson, I never really paid attention to him till the latter part of the year, way past his call up and preseason, but going back to his preseason opportunity/ies, he too went 3 innings, but got a 5.41 ERA out of it, which is pretty damn good, but can be very misleading. I know Stauffer started, and I know he started against a good team very early in the preseason, I do not know much about Thompson's work. Did he start? Or was that individual clean up innings that he was brought in as relief? Was it early in the year, like Stauffer when our defense was basically the keystone infield or was it in the last few games where they were coming around and starting to show what we came to rely on throughout the year to save the day for us, game after game after game?

No matter how you twist it, at least for me, that has presented a case for paying attention to him this year to see what he does in preseason, but if you do not think Stauffer is the real thing, after all he has done for the team, then you went to school on the short bus, because the case is as about as clear cut, open and shut as it gets.
    John B.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast