Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just feel like I have to say this.

I just feel like I have to say this.

Nothing new here, I just feel as if I should throw this out on the table before we begin offseason shopping:

There is absolutely NO reason why we should NOT sign Aramis Ramirez. He is right handed, young, powerful, and plays thirdbase. If Aramis Ramirez is the only player we upgrade / acquire this offseason, I will be almost satisfied.

Seriously, I don't care if it costs us more than 10 million per year and a fat 5 year contract, I completely expect us to at the very least get Aramis Ramirez.

When you A) need a third baseman, B) need power, C) need a right handed bat, and there's D) All the above, you snag option D as fast as possible. Hopefully management agrees.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I would love it if we signed ARam......however it's not going to happen, and I don't think it's because we "wont", it's because we'll be outbid by far.......the team that is going to sign ARam is looking at 5/75 likely.....and while I would love it if the Padres would pony up for that, with this kid Aki between their sights it's not going to happen......

I think there is a better chance of us signing Soriano than ARam.....but I agree with you......if we can find a way to sign him under $14M/year for 5years, get'r done
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    I would love it if we signed ARam......however it's not going to happen, and I don't think it's because we "wont", it's because we'll be outbid by far.......the team that is going to sign ARam is looking at 5/75 likely.....and while I would love it if the Padres would pony up for that, with this kid Aki between their sights it's not going to happen......

I think there is a better chance of us signing Soriano than ARam.....but I agree with you......if we can find a way to sign him under $14M/year for 5years, get'r done
    It would be impossible for us to be outbid if management had the same mindset as I did; we have over 30 million to spend, I do NOT care if it costs us OVER 15 friggen million, do the damn thing.

MLB ERA
    Well if it heads upwards of 15-16M....then we'll simply be outbid.....we're not signing him for that....it wont happen.....that's just not realistic.....I would LOVE him here....but with Aki avaiable for $4-5M there is NO WAY this FO will overspend for ARam.....

If we got Soriano, would that satisfy your craving ? He does post bigger #'s, plays a hole we need filled, and is fast......He going to cost around 5/80 also, but if we got Aki to play 3rd, and Soriano to play LF, would that do ? It would for me is why I'm asking......

I'm in the same boat as you, just stuck knowing that the Padres wont get ARam....

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever

If we got Soriano, would that satisfy your craving ? He does post bigger #'s, plays a hole we need filled, and is fast......He going to cost around 5/80 also, but if we got Aki to play 3rd, and Soriano to play LF, would that do ? It would for me is why I'm asking......

You're damn right, that would do. But I was under the impression that Aki was already asking for at least a 8+ per year contract, and in all reality I don't see us going for Soriano anyways considering he's even more expensive.

MLB ERA
    Nope......Aki will likely command $4-5M......$5-6 tops in contract salary....the twist is the team has to pay for the rights to even talk with him......now that money is 100% refunded if we don't come to an agreement, so I guess in a sense it could be as high as $8M if you amertize (sp?) it out that way.....but probably more like a $4-5M/yr salary +2M/yr spread out over the length of the contract, making him a $6-7M/yr player......does that make sense ? But in reality he's only making $4-5M......

And from what I've heard.........ARam and Soriano will likely get paid damn near the same amount....with ARam being the hotter commodity due to being what 4 years younger, and the huge shortage of 3bags ?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OBBoltsFan
    It would be impossible for us to be outbid if management had the same mindset as I did; we have over 30 million to spend, I do NOT care if it costs us OVER 15 friggen million, do the damn thing.
    If someone hands you 1 million bucks do you immidiatley go and spend it on 6 sports cars and a couple Harley Davidsons, or do you find a way to invest that money wisely, while getting some "goodies" here and there?

Just because they have the money does not mean they should spend "whatever it takes" to get one guy.

And i'm not saying they shouldn't spend it, but I won't want them to throw it all at Aramis (Please, let's get away from the riddiculous "First letter of first name, first three letters of the last name" nicknames here...) if some crazy team wants to pay him three times what he's worth.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    If someone hands you 1 million bucks do you immidiatley go and spend it on 6 sports cars and a couple Harley Davidsons, or do you find a way to invest that money wisely, while getting some "goodies" here and there?

Just because they have the money does not mean they should spend "whatever it takes" to get one guy.

And i'm not saying they shouldn't spend it, but I won't want them to throw it all at Aramis (Please, let's get away from the riddiculous "First letter of first name, first three letters of the last name" nicknames here...) if some crazy team wants to pay him three times what he's worth.
    Considering our humongous need for a 3Bman, and a right handed power bat, I really would give him a 15 million per year contract, and I can't imagine any team giving him more than that. We'll see, obviously ownership knows what's best for us a lot better than I do.

MLB ERA
    HWood....shortening names will never go away.....

Signed -
    PFF

MLB ERA
    whatever you say P-Fan

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Soriano is likely to make more than Ramirez so I don't know what you guys are thinking. Soriano is a better all around player than Ramirez so to say you have a better shot at Soriano than Ramirez doesn't make too much sense to me. I think the Pads have an equal shot to get both but with so many teams looking at Soriano it will be tough to outbid the other teams.

MLB ERA
    I think the Padres have a good shot at landing Aramis.

I was merely stating that in the event someone does way overbid for him I would be reluctant to throw all the money at one guy.

MLB ERA
    I don't.......we now have Kevin Kouzmanoff to be the future at 3rd base according Tom Krasovic

MLB ERA
    Soriano anyone ?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I think the Pads have as good of a shot as anyone to land Ramirez but someone thought they had a better chance of landing Soriano than Ramirez which I cannot see. More teams need a corner OFer than a third baseman.

What do you make of some of this BS Peavy trade talk?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast