Thread: That time again.

That time again.

1. Trade Khalil and Meridith/Linebrink for a premier 3Bman.
    2. Sign Julio Lugo.
    3. Sign Barry Zito for a 15 million per contract wich I will continue to argue he will in fact agree to.
    4. Pick up Cameron's option and Branyon's option as a nice bench player.
    5. Sign Juan Pierre to play LF.
    6. Sign Jason Marquis.

Pierre
    Lugo
    Gonzo
    A. Ramirez
    Giles
    Cameron
    Bard
    Barfield

Zito
    Peavy
    Young
    Hensley
    Carillo/Marquis

Hoffman
    Meridith / Linebrink
    Williamson
    Thompson
    Embree

Additions: Amaris Ramirez (chicago paying difference in 1st year of contract), Julio Lugo, Barry Zito, Juan Pierre, Jason Marquis, Other dumpster dove projects

Sbtractions: Klesko, Piazza, Woody, CHP, Wells, Roberts, probably someone else I'm not thinking of.

Anyways, this looks like a 95+ win team to me, and it doesn't seem to far fetched to me either.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    If you trade Meredith........I'll personally shoot you in the head!
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Jason Marquis ... Mark Mulder ... you're all crazy.

MLB ERA
    We need to keep Piazza. He has helped Bowen and especially Bard.

MLB ERA
    I think Mulder is a risk.....but IMO a very good risk...he'll be cheap, and if he does make a comeback and there is no reason to think he wont, he'll be a huge score for this rotation.......plus you wont be asking him to be more than a #3 ever.....possibly a #4

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    I think Mulder is a risk.....but IMO a very good risk...he'll be cheap, and if he does make a comeback and there is no reason to think he wont, he'll be a huge score for this rotation.......plus you wont be asking him to be more than a #3 ever.....possibly a #4
    I don't understand why everyone thinks he will be cheap. Starting pitching is certainly the most desired position by most teams, and Mulder is a career stud coming off one soft year.

Marquis is obviously not a solid pitcher, but would make for a great number 6 pitcher to secure Carillo's spot. I don't see anything crazy about getting ahold of a cheap, reliable security.

And I know it sounds harsh to trade Meridith, and of course I'd much prefer to get rid of Linebrink first, but if you really look at the roster I have proposed, it's easily a world series contender with or without Meridith. And moreover, I highly doubt the league doesn;t pick up on Meridith either this offseason or the next, as a VERY VAST majority of sub mariners are in due time (save a few special ones, of course).

Upon further review, my scenario of roster moves does not seem completely financially possible. I'll try to break it down right now to see if it is: With 37 million to go=

12 = Zito (cheapest year of a five year deal worth 75 million that I am nearly positive he would sign)
    Cameron option = 7
    Branyon = 1.5
    Lugo = 6 (in three year, 25 million contract)
    Marquis = 2 (three year, 9 million contract)
    Pierre = 5 (four year, 28 million contract)
    Ramirez = 4 million (cubs would pay other half of remaining year)

This totals 37.5 million, obviously too much when considering it's already over the salary of this year's team without considering the 3 million or so used on bench players. Of course, if Moores was willing to spend a few million more this would be possible, but nobody expects Moores to raise his salary for the better of the team.

After reviewing these terms, I've changed my mind about Mike Cameron and would prefer to actually let him walk and rather just have Pierre play center, and use 3 million of that 7 option saved instead on Shannon Stewart to play left. So now, with adjustments for Moores, we have:

Pierre
    Lugo
    Gonzales
    Ramirez
    Giles
    Stewart
    Bard
    Barfield

Zito
    Peavy
    Young
    Hensley
    Carillo / Marquis

Make it happen, Towers/Alderson.

MLB ERA
    I don't understand why everyone thinks he will be cheap. Starting pitching is certainly the most desired position by most teams, and Mulder is a career stud coming off one soft year.
    He's not coming off a soft year, he'll be coming off major arm surgery...and that's why he'll be a risk, and very likely cheap

MLB ERA
    Ok guy how 'bout this for a longshot possiblity......Padres trade for ARod.....the Pads would be on the hook for about $8-9M/year and up to about $12M would still be worth it.....that's very reasonable, he would be under far less pressure here, and could shine again....playing SS or 3rd, whichever he was more comfortable playing now. If you plug him back in at SS then could you package up Greene, prospect pitcher and Linebrink for ARod?

If you can get him, and he plays SS for us, and he produces like he can, would Branyan be enough at 3rd ? Would you then just resign DR to leadoff?

LF--Roberts
    2ND-Barfield
    1ST-AGon
    SS--ARod
    C---Piazza/Bard
    RF--Giles
    CF--Cameron
    3rd-Branyan ( be huge for him if he learns to take walks )
    pitcher

Wow at this lineup guys....Is this really even possible ? If it is, it should leave us with money to get Zito, and sign all our players!!!
    My roster fix

MLB ERA
    If we can somehow make that happen......

-Sign Zito don't screw around
    -Sign Mulder for cheap since he should be

Go win a WS

He's not coming off a soft year, he'll be coming off major arm surgery...and that's why he'll be a risk, and very likely cheap
    But I still can't imagine him signing a deal worth less than 5 million per year (a deal that the Yankees will surely take up), and I don't consider that cheap.

MLB ERA
    I think you're close...I'd say 3.5-4M range.....and if he returns to top form, that's very cheap........Zito will get $14+M for instance