Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: official offseason news, rumors, and discussion thread.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    ESPNNews is saying that the Cubs have some serious interest in Bochy and for good reason. I cannot see Bochy going from a winner to complete shit but who who knows.
    "Sources say the Cubs will seek permission from the San Diego Padres to interview manager Bruce Bochy, who has one year left on his contract. And sources in San Diego indicate the Padres' answer this time will be yes... Sources say the Padres also would grant permission for the Giants to interview Bochy."
    I wouldn't mind it

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    sources also say we have the inside track on Zito......but that's a long ass shot also
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    How 'bout trading for Teahan of the Royals......Linebrink, Pmac + prospect for Teahan ?

AA ERA
    "BURBANK, Calif. (AP) -- A private jet, carrying Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez and six others, overran a runway at Bob Hope Airport on Friday and was brought to a halt by an arresting system.

"I spoke to Alex. He's fine," agent Scott Boras said.None of the seven people aboard were injured, federal officials said. "

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

I think the spakee's should take a page out of Madden's book and start taking the bus, while they still have the chance.

John B.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Well I think part of his issues this year were due to him trying to "do it all". Everytime he took the mound he tried to strikeout 27 batters....He appeared to get away from pitching and revert to throwing more often than not. I think that was because he thought it was all on his shoulders, when it just wasn't.....that IMO is from him being called the "ace" and the pressure that accompanies that title....IMO if we had someone here to take on that role it would allow Jake to come from a more relaxed mental place and I think that would do nothing but benefit him, and the team.....
    I think you're right....but I think that had more to do with him realizing he's not getting any run support than it did him realizing he's the "ace"

He had the same role last year and did just fine.

I think he felt he "had to do it all" because the team didn't score for him, not because he was the "ace"
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    How 'bout trading for Teahan of the Royals......Linebrink, Pmac + prospect for Teahan ?
    If you had made that offer to the Royals last year, the Royals might have taken it, considering Linebrink was an elite setup man and Teahen was a AAAA third baseman.

MLB ERA
    I think they still might......they need help in multiple areas.....and the right deal could help them out

AA ERA
    Well KC is in a great position whereas third base is concerned, they have Teahan there now and the top ranked third baseman in the minors all but ready to come up, this guy Gordan, http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=381&p=9...87&rc=4&pid=53

The issue is not going to be, will they give one of those two guys up, it is going to be who will cough up the most for who they are willing to give up and that is where I think it will fall through for us, to many teams needed third base help at the All Star break and all of them except the Giants had to settle for second best or worse for the pick up. There is going to be a bidding war for the Royals extra player and we do not do so well in bidding wars. I think you will see the Pads go for one of these three,

Wes Helms http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=6080

Jeff Cirillo http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=5231

Rich Aurilia http://baseball.espn.go.com/mlb/play...e?statsId=5523

All three of these guys are third basemen, all of them batted over 300 last year and all of them are listed as free agents this year. http://www.mlb4u.com/freeagency.php?field=position

I hope they go for Helms, he is by far the youngest, so the least riskiest, coming off of the Marlins so hopefully he is flying under the radar of most teams and it should not take much to out bid the Marlins, they have redefined the term cheap, http://baseball.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=fla
    John B.

MLB ERA
    I like the ideas, but for me this is how I see those three, and sure hope we're setting our sites far far higher.....

Cirillo.......pass.....old Padre retread
    Aurilia......pass ....old Padre retread

Helms for me is also a pass.... he's a lifetime .268 hitter, who has only had more than 400 ABs in a season once......why would he be any better than Branyan who at least possesses raw power ? In the season Helms had more than 400 AB's he K'd 131 times......so he's a windmill also.....

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    I think you're right....but I think that had more to do with him realizing he's not getting any run support than it did him realizing he's the "ace"

He had the same role last year and did just fine.

I think he felt he "had to do it all" because the team didn't score for him, not because he was the "ace"

I think it's both actually.......I think he thinks its expected of him to be the "ace" and I think he's pressing because of the lack of run support.....

So we get some offense, and another solid arm in here and we're golden right

AA ERA
    I like the ideas, but for me this is how I see those three, and sure hope we're setting our sites far far higher.....

Cirillo.......pass.....old Padre retread
    Aurilia......pass ....old Padre retread

Helms for me is also a pass.... he's a lifetime .268 hitter, who has only had more than 400 ABs in a season once......why would he be any better than Branyan who at least possesses raw power ? In the season Helms had more than 400 AB's he K'd 131 times......so he's a windmill also.....
    Well whoever they pick up will simply be a stop gap if they stick to their MO, they simply want to buy a year or two more to season Chase Headley, who is looking promising in the minors right now, so in their minds, any of them will do.

John B.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    Tehan would be a very good option for the Padres. He is very young and talented. What it would take to get him is a puzzler, however. The Royals need pitching, and the Padres have some arms that are nearly ready for the bigs. I would keep Cla Meredith (of course) but someone like Dewon Brazelton or Mike Thompson, plus a prospect from Class A, may get the deal done.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Headley does look good, but he isn't ready, just yet. It may take him a couple of seasons.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Johndbr
    Well whoever they pick up will simply be a stop gap if they stick to their MO, they simply want to buy a year or two more to season Chase Headley, who is looking promising in the minors right now, so in their minds, any of them will do.

John B.
    I couldn't disagree more with this.......07 should find a complete team in place, no more waiting, no more wondering.....we have only a couple glaring issues on this team, and the FO is abundantly aware of them....3rd being one of those.....I feel strongly that they will attempt to address the long term aspect of this. Now whether they succeed is another question, but I think that they will mark this as one of the top three things to deal with....They will continue to groom the farm system, but don't be surprised to see players traded to fill in areas we have need of now....it's part of what a farm system is for....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by catman
    Tehan would be a very good option for the Padres. He is very young and talented. What it would take to get him is a puzzler, however. The Royals need pitching, and the Padres have some arms that are nearly ready for the bigs. I would keep Cla Meredith (of course) but someone like Dewon Brazelton or Mike Thompson, plus a prospect from Class A, may get the deal done.
    First off, Teahen wasn't in AAA last year realmofo. He was playing 130 games for the Royals. Secondly, it is going to take more than Dewon Brazelton to get the Royals to part ways with Teahen. They have already been talking about moving Gordon to the OF becuase Teahen imporved so much at third this year. You could throw Brazelton, Thompson and a Class A prospect and I wouldn't do it. They need real pitching and they need to keep their inexpensive, good players.

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast