Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next years line up ?

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Next years line up ?

Ok everyone is toying with the idea of who to get in the offseason and what positions to fill..... since all things are possible, however unprobable some might be....what is your line up for next season, keeping in mind we will have money to spend, and according to Alderson we can expect to spend a little more than this year.....So assuming that what is being said is actually true what would you do ?

Me.....I resign Roberts asap and move him to RF, and pick up Cameron's option. I would then talk to the Cubs about how serious they are about moving Rameriz, and if they are I do my best to package up Giles for him. This opens up an OF position, and since we have money to spend, I make a big move for Carlos Lee to play LF. I would resign Piazza for a two year deal and avoid his $8m option if possible, he might take 5M/ year for two years, further saving you money for this next season. I would pick up Branyans option, try to resign Walker & Blum to solidify our bench. Then I would make a move to get the fresh off surgery Mulder. He should be cheap, and since many guys comeback 99% from these shoulder surgeries now, I think a very good risk.....that will give you a solid #3 arm....and shore up any contracts I've forgotten.....I'm not sure about contracts for Young, Bard, guys like that, if they are up sign them...... so my 25 man roster would look like this...

Roberts
    Barfield
    Cameron
    Lee
    Rameriz
    Piazza/Bard
    AGon
    Greene
    pitcher.....

Bench - Walker, Branyan, BJ, Blum, PMac

Peavy
    Young
    Mulder
    Hensley
    Carillo / Thompson

Hoffman, Meredith, Linebrink, whoever, whoever

WS run IMO

Ok crusify me
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Rameriz can opt out of his contract after the season so I would try to talk him into that rather than giving up your best hitter for him. Roberts in RF would be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Ok everyone is toying with the idea of who to get in the offseason and what positions to fill..... since all things are possible, however unprobable some might be....what is your line up for next season, keeping in mind we will have money to spend, and according to Alderson we can expect to spend a little more than this year.....So assuming that what is being said is actually true what would you do ?

Me.....I resign Roberts asap and move him to RF, and pick up Cameron's option. I would then talk to the Cubs about how serious they are about moving Rameriz, and if they are I do my best to package up Giles for him. This opens up an OF position, and since we have money to spend, I make a big move for Carlos Lee to play LF. I would resign Piazza for a two year deal and avoid his $8m option if possible, he might take 5M/ year for two years, further saving you money for this next season. I would pick up Branyans option, try to resign Walker & Blum to solidify our bench. Then I would make a move to get the fresh off surgery Mulder. He should be cheap, and since many guys comeback 99% from these shoulder surgeries now, I think a very good risk.....that will give you a solid #3 arm....and shore up any contracts I've forgotten.....I'm not sure about contracts for Young, Bard, guys like that, if they are up sign them...... so my 25 man roster would look like this...

Roberts
    Barfield
    Cameron
    Lee
    Rameriz
    Piazza/Bard
    AGon
    Greene
    pitcher.....

Bench - Walker, Branyan, BJ, Blum, PMac

Peavy
    Young
    Mulder
    Hensley
    Carillo / Thompson

Hoffman, Meredith, Linebrink, whoever, whoever

WS run IMO

Ok crusify me
    There's no way the Cubs will take Giles for anything, nor do I think any team will at this point. I also see no reason why the Cubs would want to get rid of Ramirez anyways; I think any talks of him going somewhere is produced purely by talking sports heads. But, if it were actually possible, it would take Linebrink and Carillo at least (a trade I would do).

Now, with Ramirez on board, our team's available money would already go down to about 25 million. I'd imagine at least 6 of that would go to Cameron (AT LEAST 6 if we were to lock him up), and perhaps we could snag Carlos Lee for 11 million per year (too much, in my mind). To attain Roberts it would probably cost us a contract around the range of 4 million per year, dropping our salary to only 4 million left. This would leave us with too many starting outfielders anyways, so I'm going to cancel the Lee signing and replace it with the same contract for Zito, one that I personally believe he would sign. Now we have:

Roberts
    Barfield
    Gonzales
    Ramirez
    Cameron
    Giles
    Greene
    Bard / Bowen

and a rotation of

Peavy
    Zito
    Young
    Hensley
    Whoever we can sign for 4 million.

and a shaky bullpen of

Hoffman
    Meridith
    ?
    ?
    ?

Additions: Zito, Ramirez, 4 million number 5 pitcher
    Subtractions: Ryno, Piazza, Park, Woody, Linebrink

All in all, I honestly don't think this really makes us that much of a better team (especially since while Greene, Gonzo, and Barfield will improv ewith age, Giles, Cameron, and Roberts will most likely get worse), so even my best hopes aren't too positive. Still, this is the best (and most logical) I can think of.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Zito for only 11 million? Remember that Boras is his agent and that Zito is wroth more than that.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Rameriz can opt out of his contract after the season so I would try to talk him into that rather than giving up your best hitter for him. Roberts in RF would be hilarious.

Understanding that these are all "IF's" which is what this is about.......but if the Cubs are really looking at moving Rameriz while they still can get somethign of value for him, and since they need OFers, they might move him for a Giles package, it's a salary swap.........and if we can resign Rameriz great, if not and he walks in '08 we have unloaded 10M which can now be spent in the '08 FA market for a 3bag.....that was my line of thinking, which of course could be off, but seems like something that could be looked into....

MLB ERA
    there have been whispers that Boras wants in the neighborhood of 5 years 100M for Zito....lol....I'm hoping this is just a pipedream....but if not it's a far cry from 11M

Understanding that these are all "IF's" which is what this is about.......but if the Cubs are really looking at moving Rameriz while they still can get somethign of value for him, and since they need OFers, they might move him for a Giles package, it's a salary swap.........and if we can resign Rameriz great, if not and he walks in '08 we have unloaded 10M which can now be spent in the '08 FA market for a 3bag.....that was my line of thinking, which of course could be off, but seems like something that could be looked into....
    Again, nobody involved in major league baseball enough to actually make a living is going to trade anything for Giles. Giles is a sub .800 OPS guy who is also very old and making 7 digits a year.

there have been whispers that Boras wants in the neighborhood of 5 years 100M for Zito....lol....I'm hoping this is just a pipedream....but if not it's a far cry from 11M
    Zto has made it clear his entire career that he would love to play for San Diego. If we offered him a five year for 75 million, he would sign. The payout could be as such:
    2007= 11 million
    2008= 13 million
    2009= 15 million
    2010= 17 million
    2012= 19 million

Make it happen.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OBBoltsFan
    Again, nobody involved in major league baseball enough to actually make a living is going to trade anything for Giles. Giles is a sub .800 OPS guy who is also very old and making 7 digits a year.
    Guess moving Nevin is out of the question also then........oh wait.......

Giles OPS #'s would likely go up if he were able to escape Petco....while nobody can predict the future, I would think this is a reasonable thought process.... but then the other side to that is that you're right and we're just witnessing the digression of a player due to age....not too sure about that though....

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OBBoltsFan
    Zto has made it clear his entire career that he would love to play for San Diego. If we offered him a five year for 75 million, he would sign. The payout could be as such:
    2007= 11 million
    2008= 13 million
    2009= 15 million
    2010= 17 million
    2012= 19 million

Make it happen.

I don't think that will ever happen.......while Sandy is at the helm I'm not sure there is any way any one pitcher is getting a long term high priced contract....but I like the direction of the thought.....

Guess moving Nevin is out of the question also then........oh wait.......

Giles OPS #'s would likely go up if he were able to escape Petco....while nobody can predict the future, I would think this is a reasonable thought process.... but then the other side to that is that you're right and we're just witnessing the digression of a player due to age....not too sure about that though....
    Nevin was going into the final year of his contract and was traded for another overpaid headcase. It's kind of silly that you'd even begin to compare a junk exchange in Nevin for Park (both in final years of contract) to Giles (beginning of monstrous contract) for Ramirez (young stud).

MLB ERA
    Just pointing the obvious that large contracts are moved......

And it's probably less "silly" than thinking the Padres would give Zito $75M

I hope they trade Giles for a 3bag.......you hope Zito is signed for 75M....both are probably not going to happen......but it's fun to explore these ideas.....so just enjoy it......good god....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Why not keep Giles and pick up Feliz in the offseason? Seriously, moving Giles for Rameriz might not be that bad of a deal but having Roberts in RF is a bad idea. Why not save your money on Cameron, who is not worth the $7 mil option, and Roberts and get some real help in the OF?

MLB ERA
    I like Cameron in CF greatly.....yes he's a windmill, but he posts some pretty good #'s otherwise, better than what we've had for years..... The reason I suggested Roberts in RF is because of that crazy porch....speed is needed....the only other twist I would use is not to resign DR and play Ben Johnson in RF..... I just didn't want Lee patrolling that crazy porch out there...he's better suited to not having to dink with quirks.....

No thanks on Feliz....how old is he ? 150

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Lee I think will be a DH somewhere. Cameron hs put up decent numbers but is he $7 million worth? As for Feliz, I don't want him but for some reason the Giants do. I hope they fianlly wake up to the fact that he isn't good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast