Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is me on the acquisition of Todd Walker to play third base.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Sorry......I missed that.....
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

I wonder how many letters the Padres are getting from fans asking for an explination as to why the front office doesn't give a s*&# about making the team better and why they put Todd Walker in a position to fail.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA
    Probably the same # that thought he'd be fine there

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Anyone else think that someone else in the front office was pulling the strings on this one....possibly John Moores?
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

MLB ERA
    Moores has never been accused of micro-managing........so not me

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan
    Anyone else think that someone else in the front office was pulling the strings on this one....possibly John Moores?
    Why would the owner do that?

MLB ERA
    They wouldn't unless they were planning on selling.....and he's not

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan
    I wonder how many letters the Padres are getting from fans asking for an explination as to why the front office doesn't give a s*&# about making the team better and why they put Todd Walker in a position to fail.
    This is the mindset I will never understand.

As stupid a (non) move I think it was to turn down the Linebrink-Betimit proposal.

As even more stupid I'm starting to think that was as Linebrink blew another game.

As stupid a move as playing Todd Walker at third is proving to be.

Nobody will ever convince me that management doesn't care about winning or improving the team.

Call them stupid all you like, call them incompitent all you like, say that you highly disagree with their methods of putting together a winning team, but to say they don't care about having a winning team is just assinine.

They care....they just went about it the completely wrong way at the deadline.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    wrong way at the deadline again.........when was the last time they made a good move at the deadline to really upgrade a starting position on this team....I can't remember......I'm not talking about a stopgap guy, I'm talking about getting a huge missing piece

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    wrong way at the deadline again.........when was the last time they made a good move at the deadline to really upgrade a starting position on this team....I can't remember......I'm not talking about a stopgap guy, I'm talking about getting a huge missing piece
    You're right, but that doesn't neccesarily mean they don't want to win, it just means that they are going the wrong way of going about it.

If Towers didn't want to win he wouldn't have traded his #2 pitcher and one of his best relief pitchers for Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez

if Moores didn't want to win he wouldn't have raised his payroll even more by bringing in two other former GMs. (Think about that one. If the guy didn't want to win what would be the point of adding two more people to his payroll? [DePodesta and Alderson])

(BTW, that part of the post isn't neccesarily directed at you, pff, I know you agree with me in regards to Moores.)

Anyways, I am not really much of a fan of Towers, although I do think he has a knack for finding good pitching on the cheap.
    I also think this was a cluster **** train wreck of a trade deadline...we would've been better off standing pat.

But I don't think that just because management proves to be a bit incompitent that it neccesarily equates to them having no desire to win.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    You're right, but that doesn't neccesarily mean they don't want to win, it just means that they are going the wrong way of going about it.

If Towers didn't want to win he wouldn't have traded his #2 pitcher and one of his best relief pitchers for Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez

if Moores didn't want to win he wouldn't have raised his payroll even more by bringing in two other former GMs. (Think about that one. If the guy didn't want to win what would be the point of adding two more people to his payroll? [DePodesta and Alderson])

(BTW, that part of the post isn't neccesarily directed at you, pff, I know you agree with me in regards to Moores.)

Anyways, I am not really much of a fan of Towers, although I do think he has a knack for finding good pitching on the cheap.
    I also think this was a cluster **** train wreck of a trade deadline...we would've been better off standing pat.

But I don't think that just because management proves to be a bit incompitent that it neccesarily equates to them having no desire to win.

First... I've never said they don't want to win, we're in agreement there....I was expounding on the subject further.....

Second.... Towers didn't trade two pitchers for Young and Gozo....he traded them for Young and Sledge, and Gonzo was the additional player added to make that deal happen....we just got very lucky...yeah us

Third.....I agree with you about Moores..... He's very interested in winning, just not overspending to lose....most people can't figure out the difference there. Moores has raised the payroll every year as he said he would, but fans conveinently forget that .... Do I wish he'd spend a little more, of course, but what I wish, and what fans wish is irrelevant when it comes to the business of the game....and you don't set your team up for failure by aligning one of the best FO's in MLB..... These guys are a collective group of baseball guru's and should be able to twist this team around....and our future is very very bright...

This current trade deadline is my ***** and it makes my ass twitch still.... We had the lead, and needed certain pieces to get us over the top, and the GM failed to get the job done....this is fact, this is undebateable now...and I'm just sad that it took 25 threads and countless arguements for many to finally see this...

Moving Linebrink for Betemit or Fields was a must do......it solves the hole at 3rd base, and since KT is a genius when it comes to building & rebuilding a bullpen, he should have done what was needed to handle the position he's failed to handle for 5 years, and then concentrated on repairing an area of the team he's been great at repairing..... that is what should have happened..... why people had such a hardon for a parttime relief pitcher is beyond me....especially when we are so deep in our bullpen both here and on the farm.....

By the way........how's Linebrink been since the ASB ?

MLB ERA
    First... I've never said they don't want to win, we're in agreement there....I was expounding on the subject further.....
    Noted.

Second.... Towers didn't trade two pitchers for Young and Gozo....he traded them for Young and Sledge, and Gonzo was the additional player added to make that deal happen....we just got very lucky...yeah us
    So he got "lucky" by refusing to do the deal until the Rangers GM folded and said "Ok, we'll throw in Adrian as well"?

Sounds to me like intelligent GMing there.

Third.....I agree with you about Moores..... He's very interested in winning, just not overspending to lose....most people can't figure out the difference there. Moores has raised the payroll every year as he said he would, but fans conveinently forget that .... Do I wish he'd spend a little more, of course, but what I wish, and what fans wish is irrelevant when it comes to the business of the game....and you don't set your team up for failure by aligning one of the best FO's in MLB..... These guys are a collective group of baseball guru's and should be able to twist this team around....and our future is very very bright...
    Agreed.

This current trade deadline is my ***** and it makes my ass twitch still.... We had the lead, and needed certain pieces to get us over the top, and the GM failed to get the job done....this is fact, this is undebateable now...and I'm just sad that it took 25 threads and countless arguements for many to finally see this...
    Agreed.... however....

- it didn't take 25 threads and countless debates for me to "see" this, it took another few games of shitty errors and mediocre hitting by Todd Walker

- also, I never said I was pleased with the deadline moves (or non-moves) I was simply thinking, at first, that it wasn't as bad of a situation as was being made out to be.
    I don't neccesarily agree with that mindset anymore.

Moving Linebrink for Betemit or Fields was a must do......it solves the hole at 3rd base, and since KT is a genius when it comes to building & rebuilding a bullpen, he should have done what was needed to handle the position he's failed to handle for 5 years, and then concentrated on repairing an area of the team he's been great at repairing.....
    Can't say I disagree with this...in fact, I don't think I ever did.

One thing, however. Linebrink-Fields is just pure speculation. Even though it's nice to say we should have done that, we don't know if we could have done that.

Linebrink-Betimit, however, was admitted, by Kevin Towers himself, to being turned down by Kevin Towers himself.

It's that one that pisses me off....especially considering Linebrink's recent play.

that is what should have happened..... why people had such a hardon for a parttime relief pitcher is beyond me....especially when we are so deep in our bullpen both here and on the farm.....
    I have always been a huge believer in the concept that if you have the opportunity to trade a middle relief pitcher for an everyday starter you do it, no matter how good that reliever is.

By the way........how's Linebrink been since the ASB ?
    I would've wanted Towers to make that trade even if Linebrink was doing as good as he did the last two year.

MLB ERA
    Only thing I'll add to this is about Gonzo......yes he got lucky....and everyone has given KT his props with regards to some of the moves he's made.... I'm simply giving him crap for not being able to finish what he starts.....again....

He's made some good move, and some not so good moves in the past, and as I said before.......this deadline is my ***** right now, not what he was able to do last offseason

MLB ERA
    Has anyone ever taken a look at management? No, not KT and Alderson, but Bochy and coaches around him. On paper, this team looks like it could do alot better than it has been, especially on offense. We replace Magadan with Merv and nothing has really improved.

I just dont know what else to say about them. Am I giving up on the team? No way. But, I feel disappointed that they are not playing like a winning team at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    This is the mindset I will never understand.

As stupid a (non) move I think it was to turn down the Linebrink-Betimit proposal.

As even more stupid I'm starting to think that was as Linebrink blew another game.

As stupid a move as playing Todd Walker at third is proving to be.

Nobody will ever convince me that management doesn't care about winning or improving the team.

Call them stupid all you like, call them incompitent all you like, say that you highly disagree with their methods of putting together a winning team, but to say they don't care about having a winning team is just assinine.

They care....they just went about it the completely wrong way at the deadline.
    Management cares for nothing more than to improve the team, but ownership is not the same. I firmly believe Moores cares less about his team than you or I do; I believe he is in this organization more so for the team and it's excitement than the actual money made off the Padres, but I do not believe he cares half as much as you, me, Towers, Bochy, Alderson, Fuson, or any other player or coach on the team does.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast