Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My take.

My take.

The Padres got better today. By giving up next to nothing, they acquired a solid player and clubhouse guy who will handle thirdbase decently. Unfortunately, the Dodgers bettered themselves to a much higher extent; one high enough to now certainly make them the team to beat in the NL West. On paper, I am damn frightened of the Dodgers; with Drew, Nomar, Kent, Lugo, Betemit... they have a damn near all star lineup when healthy, and their rotation ain't bad either with Penny, Lowe, and now Maddux who could benefit from a change of scene.

All in all, I'm disapointed. Towers claims that the Braves wanted Linebrink for Betemit straight up, and we balked. Betemit is a very solid player at a key position, a guy who will hover in the high 800's OPS wise for a long while, I'd believe.

My stomach hurts over the whole matter, honestly. But, to say the very least, getting Walker for free sure as hell beats trading anything for Lowell.

MLB ERA
    I'm scared of the Dodgers with how they look on paper....but then again it's been that way all year.

Looking at this with a Padres spin, Maddux is old and hasn't been good since his 5-0 start.

They gave up top prospects to get a rental in Lugo

And, even though I think and wish they could've done better, they still improved the team today for virtually nothing.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    LA should resign Lugo. He's better than Furcal. They gave up a pretty good prospect to just keep him around for a couple of months, they must feel they can dish out the cash. He'll be an expensive resign.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA
    Well, I'm still kind of disappointed that we didn't get any help for another starting pitcher or a better 3rd basemen.. I guess Todd Walker will do..

I'm just happy we DIDN'T give up Linebrink.. quality relievers ike that seems hard to come by nowadays.
    Nobody lookin out for nobody
    Maybe we should try and help somebody or be somebody
    Instead of being somebody that makes the news
    So everybody can tweet about it
    And then they start to R.I.P. about it
    And four weeks later nobody even speaks about it.

MLB ERA
    LA will probably resign Lugo with some overpaid contract.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    I'm scared of the Dodgers with how they look on paper....but then again it's been that way all year.

Looking at this with a Padres spin, Maddux is old and hasn't been good since his 5-0 start.

They gave up top prospects to get a rental in Lugo

And, even though I think and wish they could've done better, they still improved the team today for virtually nothing.

Don't be too scared........you can't field a team of SS's.......

I just don't get Walker.....this is a joke of a move......and far from good

Not dealing a setup guy that hasn't performed this year, for what could be a budding star to fill a huge hole was just sheer stupidity IMO..... The one thing Towers does well, is putting together a bullpen.....so why not get the needed EVERYDAY player, and then do what you do well and add the needed guy to the bullpen....unless of course you have a guy to replace him already like we do....Linebrink has been less than good this year, so just about anyone would be as good, and Meredith might be better
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    We'll look back and remember this lack of movement for a long long time....Betemit is going to hound us, haunt us, kill us for years I fear

How do you think I feel?

Actually, no, I love Aybar and Baez ain't bad.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    I think that deal was a win win for you two........ ATL got what they needed to get ........ Chipper has a couple years left, Giles might not go anywhere now....so you're not in bad shape....and your bullpen got stronger....

while the fricken dodgers just keep getting better and better and better....ugh....

and we keep swimming upstream at trade time

MLB ERA
    Or Chipper could retire, Giles could walk and you could be screwed....lol

Doubt Chipper retires after 2007, he's still a very good third baseman. Giles probably will walk, or be traded.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    The Padres improved with Todd Walker.

Perhaps not as much as they could have, but they still improved.

MLB ERA
    Improved how........they are already very good at 1st and 2nd which is what he plays....unless you're talking about their bench improving, and then I agree

MLB ERA
    He will be playing third base.

Even though his glove will probably be questionable there, so are Blum and Bellhorn's gloves.

Todd Walker's bat is better than both of them, (and Vinny's) So there's your improvement.

Of course, if you're going to include Vinny in the analysis, then I'd more label it a wash. Improvement in offense, decreace in defense.

I didn't say I am entirely pleased with the move, but i'm just calling a spade a spade here while trying to find the silver lining.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    well, due to the fact that the CD player in my car decided to shit the bed and eat one of my CDs for some unknown reason...I was forced to listen to the radio this morning so I wouldn't die of boredom on the way home from an interview. I listened to some "sweet" Red Sox sports radio and they had said there were Lowell for Peavy rumors...Lowell even said "Me for Peavy? Then ship me out lol!" I had seen some Red Sox chatter about that "rumor", but next anything in print about a Lowell for Peavy straight up.

What a ridiculous trade idea as Hollywood and I saw on the main forum earlier that included another Red Sox fan gem of Zit and Chavez for Lowell and some other piece of garbage. I can understand trying to get something for Lowell since he is rebounding from last year and may very well suck again, but those are just so out there it's not even funny...it's sad really. Especially when some Sox fans said Lowell for Peavy was shitty for them and Peavy sucks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast