Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Greene for Hall straight up

Trade Greene for Hall straight up

The Brewcrew would gladly take Greene and his multiyear deal (I'm pretty sure he has a multi year deal, doesn't he?) for Hall, who is a BIG free agent next season; I'm talking 50+ million big. Steal Hall, wo would be signed to a huge extension before season's through, then do whatever is humanly possible to aqcuire Ensberg, Beltre, or Ramirez.

I'm beginning to think all these trade talks are completely premature, considering I would never want my franchise's third baseman to leave for some prospects from a real crummy farm system (sad but true) or a guy who's declined the past two years that is supposed to be a future closer. So if it would take a lot to get one of those three, give up a lot; Kotteras + Linebrink + Klesko for one of the three.

Roberts
    Hall
    Giles
    Ensberg/Beltre/Ramirez
    Gonzo
    Piazza
    Cameron
    Barfield

^ Top five offense.

Oh yeah, and we'd still have ten million to work with come next offseason, or probably more if we work into Hall's deal a graduated increase. Either way, Pettite could be easily signed:

Peavy
    Young
    Pettite
    Carillo
    Woody/Park/Hensly/Whoever decides not to suck

That's what you call 'Series bound.

MLB ERA
    replace Ensberg/Beltre with Khalil Greene and I agree with your optomism for next year and therefor don't feel the need to trade Khalil Greene.

And Khalil has yet to break the 1 mil/year barrier, still real cheap.

He's due for a raise in a year or two...
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    replace Ensberg/Beltre with Khalil Greene and I agree with your optomism for next year and therefor don't feel the need to trade Khalil Greene.

And Khalil has yet to break the 1 mil/year barrier, still real cheap.

He's due for a raise in a year or two...
    That's exactly why we can exchange him for the vastly superior (or at least proven) Billy Hall.

MLB ERA
    but the Brewers wouldn't accept that deal anyway.

Hall's a better hitter, he's the same age, he's got more positional flexibility, he's a roughly equal defender. Not to mention JJ Hardy's sitting at shortstop and they like him.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Hall....... .266 / 22 / 52 .......26 years old
    Greene... ..258 / 14 / 53 .....26 years old........fan favorite

Hall has a better slugging pct., but Kahlil has a better OBP go figure...

It appears that it's almost a wash, since Kahlil's RBI total are just as good....the production is the same....same age.....and add to that that KT would get lynched if he delt Kahlil for an unknown ( to most fans ) I'd say there is a snowballs chance in hell of this happening....Hall has also had one more season at the MLB level........so given that I'd say Greene is the better deal, player and value...
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OBBoltsFan
    That's exactly why we can exchange him for the vastly superior (or at least proven) Billy Hall.
    There is nothing vastly superior about Hall.....While hitting for more HR's, he's producing the same RBI count....which means he's probably not hitting will with RISP, and a lower OBP, and that's not something that holds interest for most....it could mean that everytime he comes up to bat there isn't anyone on, but thats highly unlikely.....but I don't have his RISP #'s .....

Hall has also played one more season, and as such has more MLB experience. Kahlil next year could blow up Halls #'s, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Hall....... .266 / 22 / 52 .......26 years old
    Greene... ..258 / 14 / 53 .....26 years old........fan favorite

Hall has a better slugging pct., but Kahlil has a better OBP go figure...

It appears that it's almost a wash, since Kahlil's RBI total are just as good....the production is the same....same age.....and add to that that KT would get lynched if he delt Kahlil for an unknown ( to most fans ) I'd say there is a snowballs chance in hell of this happening....Hall has also had one more season at the MLB level........so given that I'd say Greene is the better deal, player and value...
    A wash? Hall has an OPS of almost .900, currently holding the 8th best slugging percentage in baseball. They aren't even in the same field offensively, though Greene is clearly superior defensively.

PFF, he's hitting less RBIs because he plays for the Brewers and bats behind Lee who does most of the cleaning up himself, a certified RBI machine. He does not only just hit more HRs, he hits a ridiculous amount of doubles, thus potentially scoring a LOT more runs than Greene also. There is absolutely NO comparison to be made here, I'm sorry.

McKain has a point about the Brewers not wanting to trade him, but the fact of the matter is Hall is going somewhere else next season, and they know it. Greene is cheap and can be helf a few more seasons and Hardy could be moved to thirdbase. It helps both teams out, very reasonable I think.

I don't know where you guys are getting this "more experience" argument from, considering Hall's only had a couple dozen more at bats than Greene thus far. In all actuality, Greene has started and held a solid position with more time to become comfortable than Hall has ever even sniffed.

Look at it this way: the only SS in baseball to have an OPS (most telling stat for offense, in my opinion) even ten points higher than Hall's is Jeter. Tejada is about five points higher, but also has protection behind him in the lineup (same for Jeter obviously), while Hall has Lee in FRONT of him. After those three, no SS is even 50 POINTS close to any of them. They are the three premier SSs in baseball at this moment, and guess what? Hall is only 26!

Bill Hall is one of the most valuable players in baseball, and I want him in a Padres uniform.

MLB ERA
    A wash? Hall has an OPS of almost .900, currently holding the 8th best slugging percentage in baseball. They aren't even in the same field offensively, though Greene is clearly superior defensively.

PFF, he's hitting less RBIs because he plays for the Brewers and bats behind Lee who does most of the cleaning up himself, a certified RBI machine. He does not only just hit more HRs, he hits a ridiculous amount of doubles, thus potentially scoring a LOT more runs than Greene also. There is absolutely NO comparison to be made here, I'm sorry.

McKain has a point about the Brewers not wanting to trade him, but the fact of the matter is Hall is going somewhere else next season, and they know it. Greene is cheap and can be helf a few more seasons and Hardy could be moved to thirdbase. It helps both teams out, very reasonable I think.
    -I believe I said Halls slg pct. was better, so that's covered
    -They have the same # of doubles FYI, so therefore by your logic, Greene is a doubles machine also and in the same position to score more runs, no wait
    -since Greene's OBP is higher, he's actually in postition to score more runs....

and the more experience thing is simple.......he's played one more season at the big league level, therefore having one more season of experience........

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    -I believe I said Halls slg pct. was better, so that's covered
    -They have the same # of doubles FYI, so therefore by your logic, Greene is a doubles machine also and in the same position to score more runs, no wait
    -since Greene's OBP is higher, he's actually in postition to score more runs....

and the more experience thing is simple.......he's played one more season at the big league level, therefore having one more season of experience........
    One more season doesn't mean as much as one whole extra year of starting for Greene, in my opinion.

I was not aware that Greene had as many doubles as Hall, but I am aware that both of their OBPs is going to increase considering how young they are. I do know though that Hall's OBP would be higher if he had more talent hitting behind him, unless you feel Jeff Cirillo is a threat at the plate.

Like I said before, Hall's OPS is over 100 points higher than Greene's and right there next to Jeter'sand Tejada atthe very top of baseball, yet he is only 26. There really is no argument to be made for Greene in my eyes, other than that of his defensive skills (that have seemed to decrease as of late).

Hall is an offensive juggernaut, plain and simple. He is in the top ten in baseball for slugging and is only 26, AND PLAYS SS, usually the least offensive position with 2B.

EDIT= And Greene ahs only scored 42 runs to Hall's 63, so the OBP arguement seems to be fruitless.

AA ERA
    Roberts
    Hall
    Giles
    Ensberg/Beltre/Ramirez
    Gonzo
    Piazza
    Cameron
    Barfield

^ Top five offense in the NL West.
    I'll fix your post for you.
    SBSL- Brooklyn Cyclones
    I am a proud member of the Anti-Rocksports Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphictor
    I'll fix your post for you.
    Name four offenses better than that one. If Texas is one of them, I will no longer discuss baseball with you.

MLB ERA
    I was thinking more along the lines of trading those you suggested to trade for the third basemen for Bill Hall instead...and then having Khalil AND Hall on the team, no Ensberg or 1-year-wonder Beltre.

I might prefer Ramierez...but I doubt we'd get him.

MLB ERA
    You should add Khalil to your sig