Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something must change.

Something must change.

I'm not one to cry about the sky falling when concerning veterans and their trip down the washer, but Hoffman is pretty discouraging at this moment. His ERA for the month must be around 7 or so I'd bet, and everytime he gets out there I'm a bit worried. Now, If asked, I would respond with complete confidence that Trevor is only in a slump; however, I don't know if I'd be telling the truth since I really am worried everytime he goes out there.

Something must change, whether it be within Hoffy's mechanics or whatever. If Hoffman continues to suck, we can't just look past it on our way through playoff contention. I hope he's only in a slump

MLB ERA
    I would bet he is just slumping right now. Either that or Mike Young's 2-run triple in the AS game really messed him up in the head, which considering how long he's been pitching I doubt is the case.

He had 24 saves in 25 opportunities and a 1.03 ERA before the break. Those numbers alone would lead me to believe it's just a slump. Everyone goes through rough times now and then. He'll probably get back on track before too long, but if this carries over into maybe mid-August I would get concerned about him.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.......he'll adjust, if possible, where he locates his fastball and that should take care of it.......Remember this game was in Coors, and that HR he gave up was a pitch out of the strikezone, around the shoulders, and inside......not exactly missing over the middle of the plate at the belt....

My guess is that if we were playing in just about any other ballpark that ball doesn't carry out....but who knows
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Quote Originally Posted by Molina00
    I would bet he is just slumping right now. Either that or Mike Young's 2-run triple in the AS game really messed him up in the head, which considering how long he's been pitching I doubt is the case.

He had 24 saves in 25 opportunities and a 1.03 ERA before the break. Those numbers alone would lead me to believe it's just a slump. Everyone goes through rough times now and then. He'll probably get back on track before too long, but if this carries over into maybe mid-August I would get concerned about him.
    My problem believing this though is that I was still a bit worried throughout the first half as well, considering how many hard hit balls he gave up that seemingly went right to the infielders' gloves.

MLB ERA
    That happens to every pitcher......every single one.......Including Rivera

No sir, you are wrong there.

When Rivera blows games, its because of bloopers that fall just over the infield. Infinitely more frustrating than Hoffman's blown saves.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Ahh......so the blown save, walkoff HR was a bloop now ?

MLB ERA
    Next thing is that you'll say it was a fluke blown save right.....at least Trevor's was given up in a notoriously brutal HR hitting park......What's Mo excuse for his latest blown save ? What the Blue Jays are better? Fluke ? Bloop? yah right

Jeez, dude, calm your tits. I didn't say all of his saves are like that. Shit.

You'd figure I said he's a Nazi or something.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

General, cool the language dude. You have to see the difference between Rivera and Hoffman. Rivera still throws his fastball at the low to mid 90's where Hoffy is only in the mid 80's. Trevor will be fine, there's a reason he's 2nd All Time in Career Saves and he WILL break the All-Time record before this year is out. Would you rather have Linebrink, who's given up 9 HR's this year, closing games for you. Liney's a guy who thinks he can throw a mid 90's fastball by major league hitters.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

I'm not saying Hoffman is bad, I'm saying he tends to get hit hard sometimes.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Fact remains, Trevor Hoffman will break the All-Time Saves record before this season is out. If he pitches another 2 years and averages 40-45 saves a year, I don't think Rivera catches him.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

He's slowing down considerably this year. I doubt he hangs around for 2 more.

MLB ERA
    slowing down considerably?

He's been dominant all year (at least in terms of save percentage, ERA, and WHIP) up until the past couple weeks.

I find it hard to believe father time rushed in on him suddenly overnight.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Well, he's been fairly hittable since the All-star game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast