Thread: 2006 MLB Draft- Padres Version

MLB ERA

2006 MLB Draft- Padres Version

For some, you know Tuesday is an important day for baseball. For those who dont know the significance of Tuesday, its the annual MLB draft. What's different about previous years is that we, the Padres have 4 first and second round draft picks.

17th overall
    35th overall (from Balitmore taking Ramon Hernandez)
    53rd overall (see 35th)
    61st overall

Can anyone guess or suggest who we should pick up? Below is a list of players I believe are worthy of drafting :

Tim Lincecum/ UWashington/ RHP- An undersized right-hander, turned down going pro as a draft-eligible sophomore and it's paid off. He's skyrocketed to the top of the first round thanks to a dominating junior season. The PAC-10 career leader in strikeouts, he has an unorthodox delivery, leading some to worry about durability. He's got a plus fastball and plus, plus curve, leading some to compare him to Roy Oswalt. If put in the pen, he could help a big league club out this season. This guy should be our first pick.

Colten Willems/ HS John Carroll High/ LHP (FL)- He's got three above-average pitches -- fastball, curve, slider -- and a projectable body. Curve hasn't been as sharp, though he took his game up a notch over the course of the season.

Christopher Parmelee/ Chino Hills High (CA)/ 1B- A smooth left-handed swing provides line drives now and presents the kind of power potential scouts like. His arm may play in right field and he's a good baserunner, but the bat is what will get him drafted.

Cedric Hunter/MLK High (duno which state)/ CF- Raw athlete who has hit close to .600 his last two years in high school. Good swing creates consistent results. A tweener defensively in the outfield.

This draft doesn't seem to have many top college prospects out there either.

MLB ERA
    well, I hear nothing but good reviews for Sandy Alderson/Grady Fuson's first draft (last year) so hopefully we have another good one.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    I like Lincecum for our first pick and Hunter for our second. For some reason Lincecum reminds me much of Mark Prior.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    well, I hear nothing but good reviews for Sandy Alderson/Grady Fuson's first draft (last year) so hopefully we have another good one.

I agree with this.....I'm looking forward to seeing what the Towers/Alderson combo comes up with....
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    So who did the Padres draft for the 93rd pick?

Huh? Huh?