Thread: Stephen Drew likely to go back into draft

Stephen Drew likely to go back into draft

Link

SAN FRANCISCO - Stephen Drew’s time with the Diamondbacks may be over before it began. The D-Backs presented 2004 No. 1 draft choice Drew with what managing partner Ken Kendrick characterized as an "eminently fair’’ final offer April 13, and Kendrick said Wednesday he believes it likely that Drew will walk the same path taken by brother J.D. Drew in 1997 and reenter the draft this June.
    "If I were making a prediction, I think it is unlikely he will sign,’’ Kendrick said Wednesday. "We haven’t ended discussions, other than they have our final offer.’’

Drew signed with the Camden Riversharks of the independent Atlantic League on Wednesday, although he remains the D-Backs’ property until May 31, the week before the 2005 draft.

The D-Backs are believed to have offered Drew a $7.5 million deal, with $5.5 million guaranteed, which would make Drew the richest member of the 2004 draft class. Tampa Bay committed $5.2 million to Rice right-hander Jeff Niemann, the highest so far.

Drew and Angels draftee Jared Weaver are the only 2004 picks unsigned. Both are represented by Scott Boras, who did not immediately return a phone call Wednesday.

I wish more teams are like the Padres, Angels, and DBacks. Just say "F-ck You" to Bora$$ for demanding huge jack up front for his clients

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    all the more reason for Ramon Hernandez to rethink the amount he is asking so we can lock him up

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He'll get his money this time, I have no doubt.