Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Barry Zito? What are the Padres odds?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    they are not rumors because you haven't produced an article or anything to prove it. It's all wishful thinking on your part. All the rumors I've seen have involved the Yankees, Mets, Angels...show me something.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    They won't respond to you because your not a "Barry" fan

MLB ERA
    I'm a Barry fan...Barry Zito

I won't be heart broken if it happens, but I just don't see it happening unless the A's fall out of the race altogether, which with the way this team plays in the 2nd half is going to be hard to do. I almost guarantee Beane will let him walk and take the 2 draft picks.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    they are not rumors because you haven't produced an article or anything to prove it. It's all wishful thinking on your part. All the rumors I've seen have involved the Yankees, Mets, Angels...show me something.

Stand by I'll link the phone conversation he had with XX Sports radio where he said to the effect .....that there has been no movement with regards to a new contract, and that he welcome a chance to pitch for the Padres this year.....
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    there's rumors that he might be traded, that's all that's needed to validate speculation talk on a freakin internet message forum.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Stand by I'll link the phone conversation he had with XX Sports radio where he said to the effect .....that there has been no movement with regards to a new contract, and that he welcome a chance to pitch for the Padres this year.....
    if Barry Zito actually said, then I think I would have heard about it somewhere else in addition to here because that would be more significant than some of the other speculation I've read.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    there's rumors that he might be traded, that's all that's needed to validate speculation talk on a freakin internet message forum.
    I never said there aren't rumors. I said I never saw anything about him going to the Padres potentially and that I've never seen anything where he said "I'm unhappy in Oakland." don't try to put words in my mouth and try answering some of my questions like:

Why do you think Beane wouldn't let him walk and take the two draft picks when he's done it numerous times before?

Why do you think he would want Barfield when we have Ellis locked up cheaply for the next 2/3 years (he hit .314 last year and led the AL in VORP for 2Bs last year)? And when we have a top 100 spec at 2B?

Why do you think Beane would trade Zito now when all of their off-season moves would indicate that they are trying to make a run since they didn't really lose anyone, but added a few key players? Because the Padres are having some injury problems?

Beane's not going to do anything unless he can benefit from it...he's never done something because someone else had a need. He's gonna do something if it's right for the A's.

MLB ERA
    I never said there aren't rumors. I said I never saw anything about him going to the Padres potentially and that I've never seen anything where he said "I'm unhappy in Oakland." don't try to put words in my mouth and try answering some of my questions like:
    I won't put words in your mouth, and you don't put words in mine. I didn't say you said any of that, i'm simply stating that as long as rumors exsist that he might be traded (which there are) then it isn't crazy talk to speculate about what it might take to get him here on an internet message forum, as another poster would like to imply.

Why do you think Beane wouldn't let him walk and take the two draft picks when he's done it numerous times before?
    That is very possible, and why I think it'd take more than I'd be willing to give up to get him here this year.

Why do you think he would want Barfield when we have Ellis locked up cheaply for the next 2/3 years (he hit .314 last year and led the AL in VORP for 2Bs last year)? And when we have a top 100 spec at 2B?
    I don't follow the A's and wasn't aware of the 2nd base situation. I merely threw out the Barfield/Carillo thing as an example of what I thought it would take going off talent alone. Again, if I was Towers and Beane offered me Zito for Carrillo and Josh Barfield (for whatever reason) I'd turn it down.

Why do you think Beane would trade Zito now when all of their off-season moves would indicate that they are trying to make a run since they didn't really lose anyone, but added a few key players? Because the Padres are having some injury problems?
    If they're out of it before the deadline, it's very possible.
    Furthermore I am not the one spreading the rumors that he might be on the trading block. We're mearly speculating because the rumors are being spread.

Beane's not going to do anything unless he can benefit from it...he's never done something because someone else had a need. He's gonna do something if it's right for the A's.
    As he should, and nobody said he shouldn't.

The fact that we've been disucssing whether or not we should be discussing something is rather assinine and this is probably my last post in this thread.

I've already been on record as stating the chances of Zito wearing a Padres uniform anytime this season is very slim. I just find it monumentally assinine for someone to insinuate others have no right to discuss something just because in their mind Bud Selig would be elected president of the United States before it were to happen.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Providence, rumors are just that, rumors. These posts are for fans to come in and post their thoughts, feelings and ideas about what it might take to get a certain player(in this case Zito) to come to the Padres. I know you don't want to see Zito leave, but Zito is a pitcher that a lot of Padres fans would love to see here. All the talk about Zito being traded and not traded, is nothing but heresay and opinion, nothing more.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    No No No! Towers wouldn't offer Barfield is the whole damn point! Not vice versa!!!!
    wait, are you telling me there's no way Towers would offer a young up and coming position player and a highly talented, but not proven young pitcher for a hometown vet?

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Hollywood, if I'm Towers, I'm not trading Josh Barfield. You can't trade a kid that is going to be a great player both offensively and defensively for years to come.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan
    Hollywood, if I'm Towers, I'm not trading Josh Barfield. You can't trade a kid that is going to be a great player both offensively and defensively for years to come.
    I agree 150%

I said i'd turn that down if it were offered, and i'd be pissed if it were to go down.

I was simply providing the plausible example that was being questioned.

Of course, I later found out that the A's have no need for a 2nd baseman anytime soon, so even if KT were foolish enough ot offer it they'd maybe turn it down anyways.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    wait, are you telling me there's no way Towers would offer a young up and coming position player and a highly talented, but not proven young pitcher for a hometown vet?
    Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Why trade a future allstar and a good prospect who are making pennies compared to Zito? Why try and break up one of the potentially best middle infields for a guy who is going to make at least $10 mil/yr? It doesn't make any sense for Towers to do this when there are som many FA pitchers out there next year. You are not thinking this through. Plus as Providence pointed out the A's have got their future second baseman.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Why trade a future allstar and a good prospect who are making pennies compared to Zito? Why try and break up one of the potentially best middle infields for a guy who is going to make at least $10 mil/yr? It doesn't make any sense for Towers to do this when there are som many FA pitchers out there next year. You are not thinking this through. Plus as Providence pointed out the A's have got their future second baseman.
    I agree with you reasoning, and again I wouldn't want to do it.

I was simply trying to sarcastically allude to the Giles for Bay/Ollie trade

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    if Barry Zito actually said, then I think I would have heard about it somewhere else in addition to here because that would be more significant than some of the other speculation I've read.
    Well clearly you don't hear and know everything, since this conversation did happen, and it was on the radio station I pointed out......it's really ok that you don't hear and know everything, just one more reason to come in here and be enlightened.....sheesh......

I'm sure you've heard every conversation with ever radio talk show host EVER!!!.......LOL.........for all you know he could have done another interview with the Anaheim Angels 2 min. after this one in San Diego and told them he wouldn't mind pitching there.....lol
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast