Thread: Why I watch the Game - National League East

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Why I watch the Game - National League East

NL East

Atlanta Braves - The days of Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz in the same rotation are long past, but the tradition of top rank starting pitching remains true. The rotation is 5-deep even without last year's 2nd best pitcher in the NL. Jason Heyward (son of the late Ironhead, who you might remember from the Zest Body Wash commercials featuring the lather "thingie") is a potential true five tool player, and by that I mean in addition to the ability to run, catch, and throw, he can actually hit the ball.

Florida Marlins - So much for winning the World Series every six years. However, two championships in the franchise's relatively short history is nothing to laugh at. What is a joke is the way management has periodically gutted the roster when the Marlins appear to be contenders for the long haul, but on the bright side, mid-to-high salaried players haven’t been dumped for a bucket of baseballs. There aren't many teams in the history of baseball that can say they got a franchise shortstop in exchange for an ace. Also, their player scouting and development guys do a fine job of stockpiling young pitchers so they can unearth a gem in Josh Johnson out of a rough of Anibal Sanchez, Scott Olsen, Ricky Nolasco, etc.

New York Mets - The Mets have ridiculed for megabust acquisitions even before Omar Minaya's tenure as GM. (Does Mo Vaughn and Robbie Alomar ring a bell?) And Oliver Perez isn't so hot, given they could have signed the less upside, but much steadier Randy Wolf. However, give them credit for not being afraid of shelling out top dollar for the top available players, because they understand that far more expensive players aren't always the riskier ones. The Mets got it right with Carlos Beltran, while the Angels and Dodgers have wasted their time and tens of millions on worse options including Gary Matthews Jr., Torii Hunter, Juan Pierre, and Andruw Jones.

Philadelphia Phillies – Remember when this team was so bad that a Florida State hotshot slugger by the name of J.D. Drew refused to sign with them? How about when Scott Rolen questioned the front office’s commitment to winning or the trade that sent Curt Schilling to greener pastures? Or how their fans are loud-mouthed assholes? That's all in the past, except, well, their fans are still loud-mouthed assholes. Now, this is the team Roy Halladay decided he wants to play for. They are already blessed by the presence of Matt Stairs on the bench, backing up a modern era Murderer's Row lineup. And for better or worse, Brad Lidge is an adventure to watch in the 9th inning.

Washington Nationals - Forget about the 100 mph fastball, the nasty breaking ball, or the exceptional control. For Stephen Strasburg to go from being undrafted out of high school, 30 pounds overweight, and unwanted at first by SDSU head coach Tony Gwynn (leave it to him to judge someone on his weight) to being arguably the best college pitcher ever, who are you to throw the Inverted W to his face and doubt he can be a successful major league pitcher?

As a sidenote, I do want a look at a fat Strasburg "before" weight loss pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why I watch the Game - National League East-img324-69-jpg  
    Last edited by missionhockey21; 12-25-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Why I watch the Game - National League East

Wow, I never knew Jason was Ironhead's son. I loved Craig Heyward. He was one of my favorite all-time Saints growing up.

And I agree, that Braves rotation looks extremely solid. Knowing that 3/5 of that rotation hasn't even reached it's ceiling, things look real insane for Atlanta now and in the future.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Why I watch the Game - National League East

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Wow, I never knew Jason was Ironhead's son. I loved Craig Heyward. He was one of my favorite all-time Saints growing up.
    Shit, nevermind. It was false info from wikipedia. His dad is still living and is a Dartmouth alum.