Thread: A Night to Remember

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

A Night to Remember

Perhaps no single-game accomplishment in sports is as anticipated and celebrated as the no-hitter. A basketball player who scores 50 points will probably miss at least ten shots in the game. A football player who throws for five touchdowns will probably throw around ten incomplete passes in the game. Even a baseball player who hits three or four home runs will probably get out once or twice. In comparison, there is almost no margin of error for a no-hitter. A pitcher must retire 27 hitters without giving up a single hit, and the suspense builds with every inning, every at-bat, and every pitch. Whether it is in the majors, the minors, or even in high school, to be able to say you pitched a no-hitter is to reach the pinnacle of your game. Perhaps the most fascinating part of no-hitters is the people who throw them. Players such as Bobo Holloman, who had 3 career wins, throw them, while players like Grover Cleveland Alexander, who won 373 career games, do not.

The no-hitter was brought back to the center of the baseball world this past April 18th, in a nationally overlooked game, when quick-working lefthander Mark Buehrle opposed a Texas Rangers team that couldn’t have expected what they would encounter on that fateful Wednesday night. Buehrle had been a big question mark for the White Sox coming into this season after an awful ending to the 2006 campaign. He started out 9-4 with a 3.22 ERA last year and was named to the All-Star team…and then it all unraveled quickly. Beginning with his July 2nd start at the Cubs, where he gave up 13 hits and 10 runs in 5 innings for a Game Score of 3, Buehrle blew up. He lost his next 5 starts and 6 of his next 7, posting a 9.37 ERA over that span. With the downward spiral of Buehrle came the downward spiral of the White Sox, as the defending champs began to fall out of playoff contention behind the Twins and Tigers. Buehrle finished up the year 12-13 with an ugly 4.99 ERA, well above the league average for the first time in his career. It was also his first ever year with a losing record. Critics and fans alike wondered what had gone wrong with Buehrle and if he could ever recover to become the pitcher he once was. Buehrle was named Chicago’s #3 starter for 2007 and faced the Cleveland Indians in his first start. It would prove to be a rough one for him, as a second inning line drive back up the box by Ryan Garko knocked him out of the game. However, Buehrle would return for his next start and provide a glimpse of his first six and a half seasons with a 7-inning, four-hit, 3-run performance against Oakland. However, he only struck out one and wasn’t dominant, so nobody could have foreseen what would occur in his next start.

Under their ridiculous new marketing rule with 7-Eleven that all home games would start at 7:11 CT, Mark Buehrle took the mound to face a solid Texas Ranger lineup on Wednesday evening, April 18th, 2007. Kenny Lofton and his near-2300 hits led off the lineup with the second-hottest player in baseball, Ian Kinsler in the #2 spot. Michael Young and Mark Teixeira, two of the game’s best hitters at their respective positions, filled the 3 and 4 holes, while Sammy Sosa’s almost 600 career home runs filled the #5 spot. The Rangers have normally been thought of as a good hitting team, but with the Ballpark at Arlington distorting their statistics their road numbers are certainly not quite as lofty. With an unenviable pitching matchup of Buehrle vs. Kevin Millwood, two good but not great pitchers, it’s safe to say the baseball world’s eyes weren’t exactly focused on this game; although they would be after a few innings.
    [BREAK=The Game Unfolds]
    The first inning started inauspiciously enough for Buehrle. Kenny Lofton grounded out to second, Ian Kinsler skied out to center, and then Michael Young was Buehrle’s first strikeout victim. With two outs in the second, Hank Blalock gave the White Sox a scare by hitting a fly ball to deep right, but Jermaine Dye bailed out his pitcher with a nice running catch toward the fence. The real fun came when Jerry Hairston Jr. stepped up to lead off the 3rd inning. Hairston grounded the second pitch to Joe Crede at 3rd, who made a diving stop, and slid headfirst into a bang-bang play at first, but was called out by umpire James Hoye. Hairston’s protests got him nowhere but the clubhouse after Hoye ejected him for vehemently arguing. The incident didn’t seem to disturb Buehrle, however, who promptly retired Nelson Cruz and Gerald Laird to get through the order for the first time. You can’t get a no-hitter without your team scoring, however, and Jim Thome promptly ended that dilemma with a home run to right in the third. After a nine-pitch 4th inning, Buehrle’s quest for a perfect game would be undone when Sammy Sosa took a 3-1 pitch low for ball four. But incredibly enough, Buehrle promptly picked Sosa off at first before retiring Hank Blalock on a grounder.

Once a pitcher gets through 5 innings without giving up a hit, people start to feel the anxiety a little bit. More than half the game was done for Buehrle at that point and he just continued to mow down Texas bats. Matt Kata and Gerald Laird both struck out, sandwiching a weak flyout to right field by Nelson Cruz. It was 2 times through the order and 1 to go for Buehrle, who seemed oblivious to baseball superstition when he went in the clubhouse and talked to catcher A.J. Pierzynski between innings. (Perhaps A.J. was telling him about the infamous “foul ball” against the Angels in the 2005 ALCS.) But Buehrle seemed oblivious to the pressure when he retired the Rangers in order once again in the 7th. After another Jim Thome homer extended the lead to 6-0, Buehrle came out for the 8th with the anxiety palpable in the stands of U.S. Cellular Field – aka the stadium formerly known as Comiskey Park. First up was Rangers big bat Mark Teixeira who went down swinging on 5 pitches. Next up was the only baserunner of the game in Sosa who popped out weakly to second. And after Hank Blalock grounded out to Juan Uribe at second, visions of immortality had to be flashing through Buehrle’s head.

Matt Kata, Nelson Cruz, and Gerald Laird. It was not exactly Murderer’s Row waiting for Buehrle as he came out to start the 9th inning. White Sox fans were on their cell phones at this point, telling their families “I’m at Mark Buehrle’s no-hitter!” But no mention of it would be heard in the Chicago dugout or the broadcast booth, as everyone within striking distance of the southpaw feared jinxing the game. Matt Kata dug in to start the inning and wouldn’t have to stand there for long. After fouling off two pitches, Buehrle froze him with a beautiful fastball on the outside corner. One out. Next up was Nelson Cruz who looked ugly on two successive changeups before taking two off-speed pitches to even the count on 2-2. However, he swung and missed on a beautiful curveball inside, and although the ensuing ball got away from catcher A.J. Pierzynski he recovered in time to throw out Cruz at first. With one out to go and the entire White Sox crowd on their feet, Buehrle peered in against Gerald Laird, the young Rangers catcher on 1 and 1. And his 104th pitch, another changeup, would be one for the ages…just ask Ken Harrelson. “Ground ball…Crede…YESSSSSSSS! Mark Buehrle, a no-hitter!” The first White Sox no-hitter since 1991 and the first American League no-no since 1992 was a great day for Chicago fans everywhere (except on the North Side). It was just another night to remind baseball fans everywhere how unbelievable a seemingly ordinary game could be.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: A Night to Remember

After watching the archive of this game, I was laughing during teh beginning of it as the broadcasters had no clue what kind of night it was about to become. Buehrle does it big for the Chi Sox and makes it one night to remember for himself and his teamates.

This was an excellent read browntown. You shared the moments that helped make this no-no happen. That was some stellar defense behind him. It reminds me of For Love of teh Game when Billy Chapel's best friend (the catcher) comes out and tells him not to worry. He says; "we are going to be awesome for you right now." And that is exactly how the White Sox defense performed.

It had been a while since we have seen a no-hitter, I am glad we got to see one this year. Perhaps we see more in the season.

Does anyone here think Buehrle was just lucky with some awesome defense behind him, or was it more destined to happen for a pitcher who is still trying to become who many fans believe he still can be?

DIGG, delicious, YB, +rep

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

He did pitch a great game obviously, but there were some decently hit balls and some real nice defensive plays by Crede. Takes both luck and skill but you gotta hand it to the guy for a gem.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I agree, it takes a lot out of you to have to bare down and control your emotions while on that mound where many call the loneliest place on earth. And then still have that type of situation with the crowd chanting your name. Unbelievable doesn't even describe how good you have to be in order to finish in grand style like he did.

I am pretty happy we got to see another no hitter.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: A Night to Remember

Nice article browntown. I think a no-no is a special thing as well. Doesn't matter which player or team that has the no-no, it would be awesome to watch live. I have watched a couple on t.v. though. I watched Wilson Alvarez throw a no-no against the Orioles in the 90's, I believe I watched Andy Hawkins throw a no-no for the White Sox as well, and he lost the game, I believe it was 2-1(I could be wrong, but that is sticking out to me becuase he gave up no hits and lost). Someone can correct me on that though, if I am wrong with the ol' memory.

Anyways, great job!!!

MLB ERA

A no-no is pretty great actually. Marlins no-no last year was debatable. I don't believe that last hitter was out at first. I believe the 1st base ump gave the pitcher the gem.

I didn't get to see Buehrle's no-no but I saw the celebration afterwards. When know when the last perfect game was? The last one I know of is Randy Johnson's perfect game against the Braves. I don't believe I was watching baseball than but Johnson was a great pitcher back than so I wouldn't doubt him for a minute.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The fact that Buerhle isn't a hard thrower like Randy Johnson and A.J. Burnett makes Buerhle's no-hitter all that more special.

I Digg-ed.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Yes it was special because he is not a hard thrower and dominates with the K's, but in the case of Buerhle, he works fast and keeps his defense alert and on their toes. I believe it helps him stay in rhythm as well, which are all good things, especially when things are going your way!!! He has a game plan and is prepared and goes out and does his business, gets it done, and goes home.

MLB ERA

Despite the fact that this happened against the Rangers, a great article browntown.

When I saw the Rangers had been no-hit on the Rangers site, I was not very happy of course, but also quite surprised that someone like Beuhrle did it. You don't really think of the control/finesse pitchers throwing no-hitters. More like the hard throwing, strike-em out guys.

I've always remembered the no-hitter thrown by Cardinals great Jose Jimenez back in 1999. You know, that guy who only spent 1 year as a starter and finished 5-14 with a 5.85 ERA that year.

You just never know who might throw a no-hitter.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Word man, Buehrle's accomplishment in throwing this no hitter is not something that should be underappreciated. Good article Brownie.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It definately was out of nowhere. Looking at Buerhle's ERA rise since his dominant first few years, I personally thought that he was done being a solid pitcher in the majors. And then, here he comes with this.

Hellouva game for Buehrle.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Hellouva, a new word perhaps?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Hey, I am going to try and get this article out there. Thanks for reminding me redsrbetter! I may need an assist, never did that before!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Help, I cant get digg this post to download. I need a pointer to get there folks!