Thread: Pirates Planned Attack Executed to Perfection

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Pirates Planned Attack Executed to Perfection

The professional baseball team that resides in Pittsburgh is nicknamed the Pirates. Fittingly so, they have attacked the Astros in each of their first three games of the season. Their advanced aggression was manufactured without the approval of many outfits whom call themselves "experts" in tallying the game. The experts expect this baseball team in Pittsburgh to be virtually non-existent. Instead, a series sweep on the road has proclaimed the beginning of what could be a major surprise in baseball’s 2007 season.

Let us take it back to the beginning. Before the season started, anyone who would call himself or herself an expert of the game predicted the Pirates as basement dwellers. During baseball's Winter Meetings, the Pirates did nothing. Their only offseason acquisition was the acquiring of catcher Einer Diaz. This pretty much showed Pirate fans that Dave Littlefield had nothing to spend or else he had a whole lot of faith in their young upcoming talent. Now, three games into the season, the Pirates young talent has transformed a few early judgements. Professional bookmakers did not expect them to complete the sweep tonight as they were played as the underdog at +145. Yet the handicappers did see something after the first two games as 54% of them went with the underdog to complete the sweep. That bodes well for a team not expected to go deep into the season as any kind of contender.

So how did this team get to the point where everyone is already talking about them? They had to start the season off facing what many of those former mentioned "experts" have called the 2007 Cy Young award winner in Roy Oswalt. Oswalt had a pretty nice game, but the Bucs would not go away. Once the Astros sent out their once touted star reliever Brad Lidge, the Pirates took over. It was Xavier Nady’s two out game-tying home run that stunned 42,803 fans at Minute Maid Park. Still the Pirates were not done yet. In the 10th inning Jason Bay came to the plate and blasted a two-run go ahead homerun. What a way to start the season. They were down to their last out and momentarily tampered with Oswalt's chances at the prestigious Cy Young Award. The Pirates won that game in their last at bat and sent the city of Pittsburgh into an uproar.

In game two the Pirates sent out the young hurler Ian Snell. And he delivered big time. Combining his 11 Ks over six innings with five relievers closing it out, the Pirates won it by one run again. Who was the hero at the plate? Once again, it was Xavier Nady to the rescue. For the second straight game, Nady came through in the clutch hitting his second home run of the season and following it up with the go-ahead RBI in the eighth.

In game three, Astro fans were still in their home ballpark craving for a victory. But the Pirates were not impressed by their committed hunger. They sent Astros pitcher Woody Williams packing after 4.2 IP. They charged him for five runs (two unearned) and two BB. It was Jose Bautista and Jack Wilson providing the spark that sent their team to Cincinnati on top of the NL Central standings. Three game sweep, and the Pirates have taken over the baseball world on top of their game.

Again, we are just three games into the season and it is too early to call the Pirates a contender. But we should sit back and praise this team for their immaculate start. Opposing teams have to start paying attention and keep themselves from thinking these guys are an easy team to beat. They are sitting comfortably in first place right now and could quickly separate themselves as the best team in baseball (record wise).

Their young talent has been well received in Pittsburgh and could very well be the ingredient needed to push this team forward. The offense leaves something to be desired, but Sanchez, Wilson, Nady and Bay are a nice start. They definitely have something to work with. Sanchez was the batting champion in the National League last season and we all know what kind of talent Bay brings. Even with those two talents anchoring the middle of the order and decent production around them, the Pirates were still in the bottom portion of the N.L. charts for slugging percentage, on-base percentage, home runs and stolen bases. They just were not patient enough and failed to put the ball in play last season. Yet, this season seems a bit different.

I believe it is the young starting rotation that will bring them to where they want to be. Duke, Snell, Maholm and Gorzelanny are a very talented mix of young hurlers primed to show baseball what they are about. Duke is the staff workhorse and showed a much better second half last season after the poor start. I look for him to get a lot closer to his rookie numbers. Snell is the staff leader with a power arm despite a small stature. Just look at what he did in his season debut. The guy can flat out mow you down. Maholm is a good back end of the rotation guy and could compliment the others very well. And Gorzelanny has the best stuff out of anyone in their rotation. If he can show command of his pitches, he could be the surprise of what already is an intriguing pitching staff. If this rotation can succeed, they will compliment what was one of the best bullpens in the league last season. Salomon Torres will remain unhittable at times and will provide comfort for starters who leave the game with a slight lead.

The best thing about this team could also be the worst. They are very young and their youth could allow them to tap unexpected talent. Yet, that young age could also mean inexperience. Either way, they have done an excellent job opening the season and peeling the eyes of many that did not believe in them.

With the outstanding start, emerging young talent, and their endeavor to prove some "experts" wrong, can these Pirates continue to put teams away and put themselves in a real condition to contend? I have no reason to believe otherwise. Many teams are looking for reasons to be optimistic about their season, and the Pirates have found one. This unparalleled start has created a fire within the team and amongst fans, experts, and media alike. Right now, they are not attached to the cellar and do not even smell the stinky aroma most cellars produce. They are Pirates and have found their map and can smell the gold. It is up to them to find that gold and ultimately seek out what they have desired for so many years.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Pirates Planned Attack Executed to Perfection

Nice first writeup there redsr. I actually believe the Pirates will be an interesting team to watch this year. Whether or not they perform well, this is finally a team with a real future. +rep and I digg this.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Pirates are off to a good start but I'm not buying that the manager, Jim Tracy, is going to do great things with his team.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it's a nice start, don't get me wrong, but after 15 seasons of losing, I'm not sold yet. Now, if we get to the All Star break with a chance...by all means, GO PIRaTES!

Rookie ERA

Did this really happen this year? I can't really remember it. They have sucked so hard since, its hard to believe they started 3-0. Adam LaRoche is the real deal though, .088 batting average, and he calls himself a pro. Yet another stiff on the team.