View Poll Results: Which of the big three will have the biggest season in 2007?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Smoltz (Braves)

11 64.71%
  • Greg Maddux (Padres)

6 35.29%
  • Tom Glavine (Mets)

0 0%

Thread: The Big Three: Now and Then

The Big Three: Now and Then

NEW YORK CITY, New York (Strike3Forums.com) -- On December 9th, 1992, the Atlanta Braves signed former Cubs pitcher and Cy Young winner Greg Maddux, assembling the most effective starter trio of all time. Maddux, Tom Glavine, and John Smoltz combined for 453 wins and 65 saves (All for Smoltz) between 1993 and 2002, when Glavine departed for the Mets. Arguably the best 10 year stretch for any starting rotation, they were joined along the way by the promising Steve Avery, whose career was cut short by injury, Jason Schmidt, Denny Neagle (who won 20 games in 1997) and Kevin Millwood. However, it was clear to everyone even remotely interested in baseball that Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz were the core of the team and contributed heavily to the 14-year division winning streak that ended last season.

Almost 15 years later, it is interesting to try and predict the kind of seasons which each of the original Big Three members have. Let's start with the final remaining Brave, John Smoltz.

John Smoltz

Bats Right
    Throws
    Right
    Height 6' 3"
    Weight 210 lb.

After a healthy 2006 campaign, Smoltz will hopefully fight off the injury bug which has plagued him throughout his career. A vastly-improved bullpen will contribute heavily to his win totals, but I have a feeling that he will not be able to avoid a trip to the disabled list.

Prediction: 17-5 in 31 games started, 3.94 ERA, 150 Ks.

Greg Maddux

Bats Right
    Throws Right
    Height 6' 0"
    Weight 170 lb.

Joining the Padres in the offseason on a 1 year deal worth $10 million dollars and a player option for 2008, Maddux will surely benefit from playing in Petco Park. Look for him to post similar totals to last season, although a hot start like last year's is not guaranteed.

Prediction: 18-11, 3.84 ERA, 103 Ks. Mad Dog makes every start.

Tom Glavine

Bats Left
    Throws Left
    Height 6' 1"
    Weight 190 lb.

Tom only needs 10 to join the prestigious 300-win club, something which he dearly wants to do and makes no bones about. Winning 15 games last year, Glavine is a lock to achieve his goal barring injury, which he has been avoiding to this point in his career. Along with 300 wins, Glavine is also sure to get his 2500th strikeout of his illustrious career.

Prediction: 14-8, 4.12 ERA, 110 Ks.

"Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    It's really a hard choice really but Smoltz has been the Braves ace for a long time now. Which a much improved bullpen Smoltz will be able to get more wins than last season.

Maddux has declined slightly over the past few years but Glavine would be a top choice also. I know he will get his 300th career win this season. Wish it was with the Braves and I'm sure he does to.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I liked Smoltz in this contest. I am no expert on any of these guys, but that was one heck of a run they had, wasn't it? To this day, their rotation is compared to any of the greats. Clemens, Oswalt, and Pettitte? Oh man, that is nothing compared to the Braves of the 90s.

As for the poll, Smoltz is still a killer and will strike batters out on a steady pace. All three are on the downside of their careers, but Smoltz just seems to bring it. Hopefully the injury bug doesn't play him.

I honestly believe that Maddux will have a strong start again and then will fade out as he did last season. I think he is at that age where he is effective in the beginning, then just gets too tired to bring his greatness.

Glavine? I honestly think we will see he is done this year. I truly hope he lands his 300th win, but that Met offense is going to have to help him out on a few of those.

Of course, this is all my opinion but it is just how I see it playing out.

MLB ERA
    Maddux was pretty dominant after the trade to LA.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    I like Maddux more
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Was he? I didn't notice it. I remember he struggled with the Cubs after his hot start. I guess he did end the year with a 4.20 ERA, that isn't too bad for an aging vet. Maybe I was just biased on account he didn't continue his greatness all season. He started and ended on a great note.

Good for Maddux. He surprised me from what he did last season, just now.

MLB ERA
    IIRC, Maddux flirted with a no hitter in either his 1st or 2nd start as a Dodger.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Have to go with Smoltz. No real signs of slipping too much. Braves just need to score runs for him which might be a problem. Glavine is the only one who won't have a problem with run support but he is that pitching staff with no real support behind him. Smoltz is my pick.

The biggest problem Smoltz has had the past 2 years has been the bullpen. I can't find the stat anywhere, but he was robbed of a large amount of wins, particularly early last season.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    IIRC, Maddux flirted with a no hitter in either his 1st or 2nd start as a Dodger.
    against the reds
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    It'll be Smoltz. His slider is still alive and deadly.

MLB ERA
    I think it will be Smoltz, too. But Mad Dog proved last year he still has some gas left in the tank.

MLB ERA
    I like Smoltz also, since there bullpen has been improved.

Smoltz-Maddux-Glavine had a great run with ATL, like someone said its probably one of the best trio starters of all time. But the only unfortunate part of that run was that ATL only has ONE WS to show for it.