Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Another NL Central Championship in the Cards?

MLB ERA

Is Another NL Central Championship in the Cards?

Is Another NL Central Championship in the Cards?

By CincyRedsFan30

Strike3forums.com

Status quo. More of the same.

Nothing describes the way the NL Central division has gone so far this year more than that.

In a division full of ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’, the Cardinals have the hitting, they have the pitching and they most certainly have a fairly comfy early season lead in the National League Central division.

There is nothing new about that though. The Cardinals have won the NL Central division in four of the last five years. To other NL Central teams, they have almost become the Yankees. They are the team to beat. The only difference is they don’t have an owner that spends at will like George Steinbrenner.

They spend the money they do have on the right players though. GM Walt Jocketty has done an incredible job over the last couple of years of piecing together a rotation, which had been considered the one thing that was holding the team back from a potential World Series Championship. After just missing the playoffs last year, Jocketty struck baseball Gold during the offseason by adding ace Mark Mulder to the team’s starting rotation. After a shaky early start, Mulder has been good, posting an ERA of 2.70, to go along with a 1.08 WHIP, a .235 opponent’s batting average against, and a strikeout to walk ratio of nearly 3:1. Throw in Jason Marquis (3.26 ERA) and Chris Carpenter (4.02 ERA) and you’ve got the foundation to a strong rotation.

Many of the players in their everyday starting lineup have become household names and consistently let the statistics do the talking for them: Albert Pujols (who some believe has the potential to break baseball’s all-time HR record), Scott Rolen and Jim Edmonds (who is also known for his dramatic over-the-shoulder catches) lead the charge offensively, along with Larry Walker.

Things aren’t nearly as rosy for the other teams in the division:

You have the Pittsburgh Pirates, who have been a bottom feeder for over 10 years, after having such storied years in the earlier days of the franchise. They have a lot of talented pitching on their staff, with Oliver Perez and Kip Wells leading the charge. Unfortunately for them, those two have struggled for most of the season so far, and while Mark Redman, Dave Williams and Josh Fogg can be serviceable bottom of the rotation guys, they are going to need Perez and Wells to step things up if they want to compete in the division. Oh, and you have their biggest problem of all, which is their lineup, which is still questionable, despite the addition of Matt Lawton. Sure it has last year’s NL Rookie of the Year in Jason Bay, but they are going to need to add some bats in Pittsburgh if they want to compete annually in the coming years.

Then you get to the Milwaukee Brewers. What can you say about the poor, hapless Brewers? Sure they are in 2nd place in the division right now, but with Victor Santos and Doug Davis helping leading the charge on the pitching front (despite having Ben Sheets at the top of the rotation when healthy); it is unlikely that they will be able to hang around. Their lineup has the underrated and dangerous Lyle Overbay (.337/.480/1.122), but there are still a lot of holes in it. If the Brewers ever want to become a respectable franchise, they are going to have to start developing their own players. They have done a better job of that lately, so hopefully for Brewers fans, good news is right around the corner.

Of course there is then the old and worn down Houston Astros, (managed by the often confusing Phil Garner, known for his odd starting lineups where leadoff hitters bat eighth and eighth hitters leadoff). The Killer B’s have lost some of their string due to injury concerns, although the careers of Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio have been very admirable. The team blew their chance at winning the World Series last year when they still had Carlos Beltran. The team still has great starting pitching with Hall of Famer Roger Clemens leading the charge, along with Andy Pettitte and Roy Oswalt, to go with lights-out closer in Brad Lidge. The lineup is so bad though that Clemens (despite his microscopic 1.10(!) ERA, 0.96(!) WHIP and 9.18 K/9 IP ratio) has recorded only two wins in seven starts, despite pitching shutout baseball in four of his seven starts. The lineup is bad, and the team is rebuilding. Houston, we have a problem.

The Chicago Cubs. The loveable losers. What more is there left to be said about the franchise that is known more for their futility than anything else? The team has a great starting rotation, anchored by Mark Prior and Carlos Zambrano, but Kerry Wood appears to be collapsing, Greg Maddux’ strike zone given to him by umpires continues to get smaller and smaller as he gets one year older(how old is he now, fifty?) and their fifth spot is a mess. The team has hit well for most of the year, led by Derrek Lee (.383/.476/1.209), but their heavy reliance on hitting Home Runs is bound to hurt them as the year goes on. The bullpen is so bad it almost receives as many ‘booooos’ as Steve Bartman did when he played into the Billy Goat’s latest scheme to continue cursing the poor Cubbies. Although hope has continued to spring eternal over the last few years in the Windy City, that hope is quickly dying away as the year of the team’s last World Championship gets closer and closer to being a Century in the past.

Last, but certainly not least is the Cincinnati Reds. Baseball’s first franchise. The Big Red Machine. Five World Championships. A proud and storied tradition. The only team that celebrates Opening Day with a parade through downtown that causes everything to shut down. An obsession with and free pass given to Pete Rose that is inexplicable considering the city’s overall contempt for anyone who lies and cheats. Oh yeah, the baseball team has pretty much stunk for about 10 years now. Sure, they had a near-miss with the playoffs in 1999, and a couple of other exciting seasons during that time, but the front office, led by Scrooge reincarnate Carl Lindner, hasn’t shown much of a desire to field a winning team, despite ousting former GM Jim Bowden (who was known for his off-the-field antics as much for his big trades and inability to draft good starting pitching). New GM Dan O’Brien is as exciting as John Kerry, and even Mr. Kerry should be offended by hearing that. He has also shown a propensity to favor veterans who don’t produce over young talent (Rich Aurilia being the biggest example). The team still has plenty of offense with Adam Dunn (considered among the favorites to break baseball’s HR record and with numbers this year of (.264/.426/.1.087). The starting pitching is the team’s big problem. Paul Wilson has been awful and might be injured, Eric Milton is on a record-breaking pace in allowing HR (on pace to give up 70(!) on the year) and although Aaron Harang has been very good, the rest of the rotation has questions for sure. The bullpen has also been poor thus far, with “Closer” Danny Graves leading the charge with is non-closer-like stuff. If this team wants to return to the Glory Days, the team must add and develop talented starting pitching.

Ultimately for this year though, if the Cardinals keep playing like they have so far, they will have the fans of the other teams in the division saying “wait ‘till next year” (again) by the time we hit the Dog Days of Summer. That’s the sad but true tale in a division that clearly distinguishes how a team should be run, versus how a team shouldn’t be run. Until something changes, that will likely continue being the case for the next several years.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Yup. Good article. I know it technically isn't over, but I don't see how another team is going to be able to overcome the Cards. The only team that has anywhere near the talent to do it is the Cubs, and they would need to be completely healthy and get production out of everyone. Two things that aren't going to happen for them this year. It is only the beginning of May and they are already 4.5 games up, and the 2nd place team is the freaking Brewers.

AA ERA
    Great article, CRF. Love your breakdown on the NL Central. I also loved your writing style.

Tony and Walt rocks.

Walt finds a way to get guys that don't make headlines and Tony finds a way to make them succeed. Tony LaRussa should be at Cooperstown when you look at what he did last year in Stl. He is one of the best managers I ever watched. The guy is a winner. Whatever Tony does, it turns to gold. It's been an honor for me watching this man manage even if he did not manage my favorite team.

Cardinals rotation could be better than last year. With Carpenter and Marquis having a year in their belts and with the addition of Mulder in that rotation, Cardinals can go back to the World Series and might win it all. I thought the pitching was good, but not good enough to win the WS as you saw against the Red Sox. Are they the team to beat in the NL? I pick SD to win it all and I will stand by it. With that said, Atlanta has a chance to go to the World Series this year so the road to going to the WS won't be that easy for the Cardinals this year.

I think the Astros are going to be okay, but they gotta start winning and they are more than capable of winning more than 1 game on the road. They will contend for the wild-card at best

I like what the Brewers are doing. Here's hoping they can finish the year above .500. They historically always do well in April and May.

How sad are the Cubbies. Cubs have lot of talent, but they can't seem to put it together. Their pen is brutal. Dusty Baker has been brutal as the Cubs manager. I think the Cubs and him may need to part ways when the season is over. If Tony LaRussa was the manager, Cubs would win the division because Tony knows how to put his players to succeed. If the Cubs are intrested in a new manager, they should hire Tony Pena as the manager.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Great article CRF. I knew you were learning to be a writer, but dang man. Real impressive. A very good breakdown of the NL Central and a wonderful look at what we should expect from the teams that inhabit baseball's largest division.

I have to agree that Walt has put together a good team to watch. These guys are really unstoppable in terms of talent. And not only is the team and management a great part of this franchise, but the fans could very well be the best in baseball as well. Whats not to like about the Cards? Oh ya, they are division rivals against my favorite team. Other than that, they are amazing.

Good article CRF, I am really looking forward to this great reading to continue. This writing team has been a great asset to this forum so far. I love it, so thanks.

AA ERA
    I always love watching the Cardinals play during the years of Whitey, Torre, and LaRussa. I had no idea why Cards fans hated Torre back in the day, but he did a good job with what he had to work with over there.

Cardinals have lot of class acts in that team. I don't hate anyone on that team.

MLB ERA
    nice article, i enjoyed reading it

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    I always love watching the Cardinals play during the years of Whitey, Torre, and LaRussa. I had no idea why Cards fans hated Torre back in the day, but he did a good job with what he had to work with over there.

Cardinals have lot of class acts in that team. I don't hate anyone on that team.
    As far as hating a player on that team. I do I do. Edmons is a nemesis to the Reds and he just looks like a guy that thinks he is awesome. He is awesome, but don't show that you know it. Helton is another player that looks that way to me. But Edmonds just kills the Reds offensively and defensively. He is the last guy that I would want to see win the game for the Cards.

MLB ERA
    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

I will have more focused articles coming up soon. I expect to do some on players who stand out or something along those lines. Human interest/commentary type situations.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    GM Walt Jocketty has done an incredible job over the last couple of years of piecing together a rotation, which had been considered the one thing that was holding the team back from a potential World Series Championship. After just missing the playoffs last year, Jocketty struck baseball Gold during the offseason by adding ace Mark Mulder to the team’s starting rotation.
    I know this isn't uncommon knowledge but I really think Mulder is the missing piece to the puzzle. Yeah they have had the big bats for awhile but like the old saying goes, good pitching beats good hitting. Even if it is as amazing as Cards offense is. But now they finally have that ace who can essentially matchup with nearly any top pitcher in baseball and I really think that will be huge for them this postseason.
    Their lineup has the underrated and dangerous Lyle Overbay (.337/.480/1.122), but there are still a lot of holes in it. If the Brewers ever want to become a respectable franchise, they are going to have to start developing their own players. They have done a better job of that lately, so hopefully for Brewers fans, good news is right around the corner.
    The Brew Crew has some pretty talented players waiting in the wings. They're going to get real good over the next few years if their spects plan out like they expect. Also, glad to see Overbay get some props. I think it's great he finally got his chance to play and he'll be a big time contributer to that lineup for quite awhile.

The team still has great starting pitching with Hall of Famer Roger Clemens leading the charge, along with Andy Pettitte and Roy Oswalt, to go with lights-out closer in Brad Lidge. The lineup is so bad though that Clemens (despite his microscopic 1.10(!) ERA, 0.96(!) WHIP and 9.18 K/9 IP ratio) has recorded only two wins in seven starts, despite pitching shutout baseball in four of his seven starts. The lineup is bad, and the team is rebuilding. Houston, we have a problem.
    I pay so little attention to pitcher's and their win-loss record that I didn't even realize this. I knew full well how much the rocket was dominating but to only have two wins? Jeez. Anyone know what he is getting in runs support? I am curious.

If this team wants to return to the Glory Days, the team must add and develop talented starting pitching.
    How many years have we heard/said this about the Reds? Other than Homer Bailey, we got about nothing. Pauly is injured. Gruler (a longshot at that) is injured as well. And Gardner is getting bombed last I checked. It sure would be nice to have Dustin Mosley back. Wanna trade back Anaheim?
    ---

Great article CRF. You got a real gift for writing, I see a similar style to that of Hal McCoy's style through out.

Keep it up.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    As far as hating a player on that team. I do I do. Edmons is a nemesis to the Reds and he just looks like a guy that thinks he is awesome. He is awesome, but don't show that you know it. Helton is another player that looks that way to me. But Edmonds just kills the Reds offensively and defensively. He is the last guy that I would want to see win the game for the Cards.
    There are lot of critics think that way of Edmonds. His former teammates with the Angels felt that way and Lloyd McClendon publically ripped Edmonds couple of years ago for what you cited about how he thinks he is awesome. I for one don't feel that way. I never considered him a hot dog or anything.

AA ERA
    mission: I hope you are right on Mulder. The thing is though Mulder fell apart last year and that was the reason why the A's did not make the playoffs. I just question his durability. As for Clemens, it's not just him that has problems with run support. Oswalt and lot of Astros pitchers are having problems with the run support. I knew the Astros offense would miss

MLB ERA
    Thanks for the great comments mission! (And all of the others)

I really appreciate the kind words too. Thanks a lot

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Great Article, I agree with Mission to say that Mulder is the final piece of the puzzle. The needed a top flight starter and they got it. Now this team is very dangerous.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Porter: I am worried that Mulder will break down. There has to be a reason why Beane was ready to dump him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Porter: I am worried that Mulder will break down. There has to be a reason why Beane was ready to dump him.

I dont think he will break down and Beane was really stupid to deal him.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast