Thread: For the love of the game...wait...what game?

MLB ERA

For the love of the game...wait...what game?

For the love of the game...wait...what game?
    ghettochild
    01/02/07

For those of you who have been reading my columns, you'll know that my Father and I are, not only die-hard Reds fans, but baseball fanatics. We live for Spring Training, the sounds of batting practice when we are first in line, the smell of the concession stands and spilt soda.

I guess you could say we "live for this".

Lately though its been we "lived for this".

Two days ago I took my brother to what I consider the "slums" of Allen. The original city of Allen, the houses nearly seventy years old. But they've got a baseball field over there that hasn't been used in nearly seven years. My brother and I are hitting pop flies, and suddenly we're surrounded by a group of about six or so kids, nearly ten. They're all standing around watching us, and I get this feeling like these kids want to play, but they're too scared to ask...I mean i've been there, done that before at their age. So I ask them, and the "ringleader" as I dubbed him told me he's never owned a glove before. Astonished, I go down the line. Only two of them, out of six, have ever attempted to play baseball.

So what do I do? I tell these kids to stay put, and if they leave I'm not going to buy them ice cream, and leave them a baseball to begin and throw around.

I head up to the used sporting goods store and buy these kids gloves. Not expensive ones, but just something to get the job done. My salesman skills and I got them for two bucks each. Right on. I also decide to get them a whiffle ball/bat. There's no way they could use a drop eleven bat.

I head back with four gloves and a box of Bomb Pops, cause lets face it folks, Bomb Pops, or BP's for short, are the shit.

Sure enough these kids are still here, to my amazement. I guess you can get kids to stay put anywhere for ice cream.

They all get their gloves and I proceed to teach them the game of baseball. Basic throwing, keeping the eye on the ball, great stuff.

I have never seen such great joy on a kids face before when these kids hit the whiffle ball for the first time in their life. The hours that we spent until dusk hitting the ball and attempting to run the bases was such a great time for not only them, but also for me.

We've got another "date" tomorrow.

---

I don't know what it is these days. Why I can't find that kind of joy in a baseball game like I had teaching those kids the necessities of baseball. Why can't some players these days remember that not only is baseball their job, but its their passion. Their love. The reason they wake up in the morning is to play the game their father taught them, and grew with such a love and passion that they're playing it for a job. I mean, how many people get to say that they get to do what they've aspired to do since they were a kid for a living?

These days baseball is a dying sport. Overrun with scandals, money-ridden egomatistical players, and more great stuff like that. Today I sat here wondering why I still love baseball the way I do.

To me, baseball has been that relationship that your spouse abuses you, but then later on the next day apologizes, but then abuses you again. And yet you still stay with it...Why? Because you think one day it's going to change. That one day, baseball will become that sport we all once grew up loving.

No one knows how to run the sport of baseball. The commissioner, owners, general manager's, and players have all lost their vision.

What vision you say?

The vision Hall of Famer's such as Hank, Mr. Cub, Lou, Johnny, and others had. Play the game it was meant to be played.

Day in and day out, the teams of baseballs past went out and played the game they loved, for little to no money, no grudges, and the scandal making the headlines back in '38 was Hank Greenberg falling two home runs short because pitchers kept walking him because they didn't want a Jewish player to beat Babe Ruth's record. Yet here we are nearly seventy years later waiting every day break to see if the 100 names of the cheaters have been released.

---

I asked those kids why they've never got their fathers to play baseball with them before. Why they can't have the simple game of catch Ray and Shoeless Joe finally got to share. Their response was that their fathers never bothered or would rather play football or soccer (OK soccer I could understand since about 75% of them were Latin).

I can guarantee that's going to change.

[[sorry if this seems to have a lot of rambling and be all over the place...i'm really sick and i'm on like 3 or 4 different meds that make me really incoherant. i just felt like this had to be shared]]
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I've seen the same phenomenon with young kids and baseball which is a shame. There is something just indescribable about the feeling you get when you play catch. It could just be some of us, but I have a few friends who agree with me that when you play catch for the first time in a long time that it is impossible to keep that smirk happy grin off of your face. It's almost like its contagious because it really can change the moods of the people who are playing. Because for me, baseball represents quite a bit in life and is just something that is great for any kid to learn how to appreciate. Like so many other things in life, it's a game that seems simple from the outset and one you can enjoy with that simplicity... throw the ball, hit the ball, field, run, repeat. But once you learn the intricacies, you learn to love it even more. From just the way the game is played, to the history, to the statistics, to seeing your first truly memorable game and watching every at-bat or inning pitched from your first baseball idol. It really is a game that grows with you unlike any other I believe (from my experience.) If the MLB got a bit more intelligence on their side, they would take all the effort they need to bring the game to as many youths as they can since it's not just a benefit to the MLB in the future but to those kids that they bring it to.

MLB ERA
    I remember when I was a kid, I wanted to play baseball not for the money because I was young I didn't know how much they got paid. I just wanted to be a professional baseball player. I loved the game, I wanted to play it everyday.

That love faded when I got to junior high and high school. The coach usually has a son on the team and he is always in the game no matter how good he is. The egos is another thing, I can't stand people with big egos. It's bad enough that I have an angry problem but if I would of kept playing my baseball bat wouldn't be for hitting baseballs. Sometimes I do regret quiting to this day, wondering what could of been if I did not quit and did everything I could to make it. I wouldn't have much of a shot since I'm only 5'6 and 110 lbs but anything is possible.

If there is one thing my kids will learn from me is to never give up.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I agree with speaking from one purist to another. I think we both feel the same way about the game of baseball. IMO, part of the problem with the youth of today is that baseball does not have enough excitement and holds their interest. If you drive around in neighborhoods and parks, you just don't see kids playing outside as much in todays world!!!! It is too easy to watch t.v., play video games, and be on a computer then be outside playing. In baseball you need patience to learn the ins and outs of the game. Startegy and overall knowledge require patience and practice.

But I really enjoyed your story and God Bless you for reaching out and intorducing the game and giving those children a gift that they probably never would have received or even asked for.

Rookie ERA
    The world of baseball needs more people like you. I'm going to be 21 years old in February and me and my buddy are planning to coach a little league team this summer.

We are going to have some major hurdles to overcome with patience and playing time...

Any suggestions?

MLB ERA
    http://www.strike3forums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16701

btw...the games are going great. they're all having great fun heh
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Hey Mo Reds Fan:

Suggestions: (IMO)-

1.) What are the ages of the players?

2.) Some little league have specific guidelines/rules about playing time. Just follow those.

3.) If you playing in a lot of tournaments league games, whatever, communicate with the players and most imprtantly the PARENTS!!!!! They are usually your biggest headaches!!!

4.) If your team is a little older and expeienced or talented, play your "weaker"-bench players in the entire game against the lesser talent and that will keep them interested and the parents off your back! (Usually, you have to play everyone and follow your substitution rules and all should be fine!!!)

5.) ALSO, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE KIDS. TEACH THEM ALL ASPECTS OF THE GAME. POSITIONS, PLAYS, SKILLS AND THE TECHNIQUES OF THOSE SKILLS, RULES OF THE GAME, COUNSEL, POSITIVE RE-INFORCEMNET, TEAMWORK, CHEMISTRY OF A TEAM, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY SPORTSMANSHIP!!!!

6.) As the coach, be loyal, dependable, and just be there, if you catch my drift!!!! the players look forward to being there, don't cancel for unimportant reasons!!!! Most importantly, you are a role model, act like one. Be a good sport and set examples so the players have good models. Many kids in today's society, do NOT have a role model!!!

7.) HAVE PATIENCE!!!!!!!

8.) Oh Yeah, Communicate!!! I know I mentioned it, but it is a key. Parents will back and support you more this way!!!!

I hope these pointers help you!!!! These are some of the key points that I could think of the top of my head

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX
    I remember when I was a kid, I wanted to play baseball not for the money because I was young I didn't know how much they got paid. I just wanted to be a professional baseball player. I loved the game, I wanted to play it everyday.

That love faded when I got to junior high and high school. The coach usually has a son on the team and he is always in the game no matter how good he is. The egos is another thing, I can't stand people with big egos. It's bad enough that I have an angry problem but if I would of kept playing my baseball bat wouldn't be for hitting baseballs. Sometimes I do regret quiting to this day, wondering what could of been if I did not quit and did everything I could to make it. I wouldn't have much of a shot since I'm only 5'6 and 110 lbs but anything is possible.

If there is one thing my kids will learn from me is to never give up.
    Well I told you that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. But I know it was your dream to become a baseball player, and of course I didn't know you back then. And it is also good to know that you will teach are kids never to give up.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Something else to tell kids is the following:

IT IS O.K. TO DREAM. IT IS O.K. TO WORK HARD AND STRIVE TOWARDS THAT DREAM. IT GIVES THEM A GOAL AND HELPS BUILD CHARACTER AND SET THEIR MIND ON A GOAL. DREAMING IS WHAT FUELS US!

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by MO reds fan
    The world of baseball needs more people like you. I'm going to be 21 years old in February and me and my buddy are planning to coach a little league team this summer.

We are going to have some major hurdles to overcome with patience and playing time...

Any suggestions?
    What level of Baseball are you going to start coaching in?

1. keep it fun

2. Every parent thinks their little Johhny is going pro, so they will not have to sit around and watch practice. Keep the kids occupied.

3.keep it fun

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I agree with the Raider Hater! KEEP IT FUN!!!

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    I have been involved with Youth Baseball as an Umpire, Manager or Coach for the last 12 years now.

If you keep it fun the kids will listen as they will want to continue to learn.

It is once you make it a grind, then they start to lose interest.

MLB ERA
    That is the point of a sport/game, is it not? To have fun? If your not having fun than what is the point to play it?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Yup!Thats a pic of Rickey websoulsurfer's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    A number of years ago, the Houston Astros were in San Diego to play the Padres at the Q.

Before the game Dave Smith's (the Padres pitching coach) kid was pitching off the mound to his dad.

Before long a couple of Astros, Jose Lima and Jose Cabrera, were over at the Padres bullpen mound with Lima catching and Cabrera calling balls and strikes. Soon Cabrera was catching and Lima was ghost "batting".

Everyone including the fans who came early to the game were having a blast.

I came away from that experience a Jose Lima fan for life.

THAT is what baseball is all about.

Too bad more MLB players do not have that joy for the game.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Not only has Jose Lima had a decent career, but he is always the clown and just a good guy to have on your team. He keeps things loose and is always entertaining or practical joking with the camera, teammates, fans, whoever!!!

A good guy to have involved in baseball. HE always has a smile on his face. But you can also tell that when it is time to play, it is all business too!