Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The AL Central is Appealing

AA ERA

The AL Central is Appealing

Over the years, writers and fans mock the AL Central as “Comedy Central” with the Cleveland Indians dominating the division from 1996 to 2001 and the Minnesota Twins dominating the division for three straight years in 2002 to 2004. There was no competition in that division since the division was created in 1994. That could change this year with teams getting stronger and better. The White Sox has had plethora of talent over the years and this year is no different. The Twins are the Twins. The Indians have a very good core of young hitters and pitchers. The Tigers have spent lot of money in adding accomplished veterans to complement their young core players.

The Twins are a chic pick to win the World Series this year because of an improved offense and great pitching. They have had problems with the offense in recent years which is one of the big reasons why they lost to the Angels in the ALCS three years ago and to the Yankees for two years in a row. With the presence of Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer in that lineup, Minnesotans are expecting those two to get the big hits and home runs this year if they get to the playoffs. Twins also got some pretty good hitters besides those two. Torii Hunter, who had a great playoff series against the Yankees last year, is expected to have an MVP year. Jason Bartlett, who is expected to be a candidate for the AL Rookie of the Year, can be a presence in the lineup this year with his ability to hit. Lew Ford, who has made a name of himself last year, is expected to have even a better year than last year. Michael Cuddyer is supposed to break out this year as a hitter with playing time everyday. Twins also have the pitching to do well with a good starting rotation and a very good bullpen. Brad Radke and Johan Santana will form a good 1-2 duo punch and they are expected to have a big year from their second-year starter, Carlos Silva. Joe Mays could make the rotation even better with him being healthy. Scott Baker could be the wild card in this starting rotation. Twins are expected to call him up later this season or even early if Kyle Lohse struggles. A championship team always has a very good bullpen and the Twins have that. They have one of the best bullpens in the majors which features J.C. Romero, Jesse Crain, Matt Guerrier, Terry Mullholland, Juan Rincon, and one of the best closers in baseball, Joe Nathan. The Twins have the intangibles and the makeup of being a championship team. With that said, the Twins are going to have some big competition in the division this year so they are going to have to earn it this year.

White Sox are playing very good so far as they are off to a very good start. They have the best record in the majors at 22-7 heading to today’s game with the Toronto Blue Jays. They always had the talent to be a championship team with a very good offense and very good pitching. For whatever reason, they never seemed to play to their potential over the years. So far, everything has clicked thanks to great pitching and their usual timely offense. White Sox starters have been fantastic. Mark Buherle and Freddy Garcia are two of the top pitchers in baseball. El Duque has always been a big-time pitcher going back to his Yankee days. Jose Conteras has been solid. Jon Garland is finally having his breakout year as he is 5-0 with a microscopic 1.71 heading to today’s start against Toronto. They got this kid, Brandon McCarthy waiting in the wings in case Conteras and Garland struggles. McCarthy is a lot like Mark Buherle in which they work fast and they throw strikes. Chicago’s bullpen has been solid. They are getting contributions from Damaso Marte, Dustin Hermanson, and Shingo Takatsu. Those three relievers have formed a perfect setup for the seventh, eighth, and ninth inning. The White Sox have always been a good hitting team so there is no reason to expect that to change even with the departures of Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez. That team has a chance to do something special if everything works out.

There are some writers and lot of fans who picked the Indians to dethrone the Twins this year in the AL Central. There is a good reason to that. Indians got the players that are ready to take the next step. They have done a great job of rebuilding in a short time thanks to Indians GM Mark Shapiro who has established himself as one of the best GMs in baseball with smart trades and great drafting in a short span of time. Indians lineup can mash the ball as well as anyone with Travis Hafner, Grady Seizemore, Casey Blake, Ryan Ludwick, Coco Crisp, and Victor Martinez. They have a good core of starters in C.C. Sabathia, Jake Westbrook, and Cliff Lee. Their bullpen is a question mark especially their closer. It hasn’t been bad as last year so far thanks to the performance of Scott Sauerbeck and Ken Howry, but they got to improve their situation with their closer. Bob Wickman either has to do better or the Indians have to find a guy who can get the job done. Despite the problems with their closer, the Indians are a team that could contend in the division with the pieces they have. Right now, they are not where they want to be, but they are not going to struggle forever. They might have turned the corner a little bit by beating the Twins in a three-game series this week at the Metrodome.

The Tigers have made tremendous strides since they had a forgettable season couple of years ago as the Tigers had the record of 43-119. Last year, they improved their win total by 29 games as they finished 72-90. They are expected to contend for the division thanks to their owner, Mike Illitch spending his Red Wings money on signing a very good hitter in Magglio Ordonez and a very good closer in Troy Percival. They have some good core players that are coming on their own like Carlos Pena, Craig Monroe, Nook Logan, and Marcus Thames. Tigers have surrounded those guys with good leader. They got a good trifecta of starters. Jermey Bonderman is supposed to have a breakout year. Mike Maroth is solid. Wilfredo Ledezema could be the pitcher to watch this season for them. Their bullpen is pretty darn good with the trio of Kyle Farnsworth, Ugueth Urbina, and Troy Percival. They got themselves a good team and they are led by a darn good manager in Alan Trammell. They will be in the race this year as they will eventually heat up this season.

With the struggles of the Yankees and the fact the Red Sox has been so-so so far, there is a good chance that the AL wild card could come out in the AL Central this year. It should be a very good race this season despite Chicago’s sizzling start. Chicago will eventually going to slump so there will be opportunities for the Twins, Indians, and the Tigers to catch up. This is the division that baseball fans should keep an eye on this season.

MLB ERA
    very nice article

man you should show that one to a sports network, outstaning work

AA ERA
    Thanks, 777. I am glad iyou liked it. I know most posters here will disagree and that's fine, but from watching these teams daily, I have a good grasp and knowledge on these teams.

I think Saber and Wally, who have submitted their work, has done a very good job with the free agents that signed with the new teams this season.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Great article Steak. I like how you broke all the teams down, very good analysis.

AA ERA
    Thanks, ABG. I am glad you liked it.

I think that division is going to be good for years to come. If that division is not a tight race this year, it will be next year and in the coming years. Detroit, Cleveland, and Minnesota has loads of pitching in the minors.

I really like what Cleveland has done. I thought it would take four years for them to field a very good team, but those kids as I mentioned has panned out quickly above their time schedule. Mark Shapiro has done a very good job as their GM.

Detroit got a solid team. They play everyone tough. Dave Dombrowski, the Tigers GM, has done a great job in spending Mike Illitch's money to get the right veterans to teach their youngesters how to play the game and how to win. Keep an eye on Wilfredo Ledezema. That guy can flat-out throw strikes. Some people compare him to Johan Santana. He has to be very good to be compared that way. He will be in a long list of the great young pitchers in baseball. I could see the Tigers get hot the way the Angels got hot late in the year in 2002 as they had that great playoff run.

AAA ERA
    yea ill applause your work as well, i also like how you broke the teams down....great job.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Few comments on your Twins section:
    Twins also got some pretty good hitters besides those two. Torii Hunter, who had a great playoff series against the Yankees last year, is expected to have an MVP year.
    I think to say Torii Hunter is expected to have an MVP year is quite generous to Torii. Hunter is now 29 and his strongest year in terms of BA and OPS was back in 2002. I don't doubt that he will have a good year as indicated by his offensive numbers thus far, but not MVP like. Obviously though he brings more to the Twins than just a bat; tremendous defense out at CF and an increased stealing rate. All of which make him a solid contributor to the Twins.

Michael Cuddyer is supposed to break out this year as a hitter with playing time everyday.
    Cuddyer is struggling right now but I really think he will pull out of that funk and begin hitting. He has quite a lot of potential, I just hope he is able to realize it soon so he can be a big contributor along with the Twins other talented young players.

Now onto the White Sox:
    Jon Garland is finally having his breakout year as he is 5-0 with a microscopic 1.71 heading to today’s start against Toronto.
    Just like with Cuddyer, I have been pulling for Garland to have a good season for a while. And while his ERA did jump with the start against the Blue Jays, he is still having a solid 2005. I do expect him to return to earth to some degree, but one thing that is quite encouraging for him is his low homerun total thus far, only 2 through 44.1 IP (versus last year's 34 in 217 IP.)

The White Sox have always been a good hitting team so there is no reason to expect that to change even with the departures of Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez.
    Their offense has struggled but they have a lot of talented batters not performing to expectations (Konerko, Rowand, just to name a couple) so I imagine they'll bounce back a bit from being in the middle of the pack in offense.

Next, the Indians:
    They have done a great job of rebuilding in a short time thanks to Indians GM Mark Shapiro who has established himself as one of the best GMs in baseball with smart trades and great drafting in a short span of time.
    Shapiro is a great GM. From one Reds fan's point of view, things are a lot brighter on the other side of Ohio. Shapiro is really building a solid core in Cleveland and his willingness to sign his young, talented players to LTC is showing the fans that he believes in that core of players and their talent to win.

Right now, they are not where they want to be, but they are not going to struggle forever.
    I agree with this Steak. The Indians as a whole are a young team, it's going to be a bumpy ride sometimes with them. Case in point, their collapse late last season. But then again with their youth and energy, I can also see them going on a big winning streak when the cards are in their favor. If not this year, the whole AL Central will need to watch out for them next year.

Quick opinion on one of your Tigers notes... :
    Jermey Bonderman is supposed to have a breakout year.
    I've been singing the praises of Bonderman for quite some time, this kid is going to make a name for himself over the next few years. Only 22 years old and with terrific stuff. His control has been improved this season and if he contines to refine his skills, he will be a bigtime strikeout pitcher in baseball for years to come.
    ----

Great job Steak, I really enjoyed reading this analysis on the AL Central. I think the White Sox and Twins will compete down to the end for sure and I have Cleveland as the darkhorse (for either the WC or the division, just depends on how (and if) things come together for them.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You cant count out the Tigers as at least a darkhorse. They could put it together and make a run potentially. but i generally agree with Mission with most of analysis.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I agree. Overall I think it will be a close race in general between those teams. My bias for Ohio does play a bit into my hope for the Indians I suppose. But the Tigers are a much improved team with talent, so I am not writing them off for sure.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Tigers have made tremendous strides since they had a forgettable season couple of years ago as the Tigers had the record of 43-119. Last year, they improved their win total by 29 games as they finished 72-90. They are expected to contend for the division thanks to their owner, Mike Illitch spending his Red Wings money on signing a very good hitter in Magglio Ordonez and a very good closer in Troy Percival. They have some good core players that are coming on their own like Carlos Pena, Craig Monroe, Nook Logan, and Marcus Thames. Tigers have surrounded those guys with good leader. They got a good trifecta of starters. Jermey Bonderman is supposed to have a breakout year. Mike Maroth is solid. Wilfredo Ledezema could be the pitcher to watch this season for them. Their bullpen is pretty darn good with the trio of Kyle Farnsworth, Ugueth Urbina, and Troy Percival. They got themselves a good team and they are led by a darn good manager in Alan Trammell. They will be in the race this year as they will eventually heat up this season.
    You might with to add Jason Johnson to that list of starters, when hes on hes one of the better pitchers out there.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    you guys are great at writing these articles...and i love it. good read
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Great job Steak!

My pick for this divison is goign to be the Twins. Not to kiss up to the Twins fans here, but their bullpen and starting rotation is something to be aware of. They have phenomenal pitching to say the least. This team has a talent all around the diamond and I like their chances.

But the team to get past right now is the White Sox. These guys have been my surprise team of the year so far. I just cannot believe how well their starting pitching has put it together. So, only if they keep it up, will they be able to stop the Twins. Good article Steak. I cannot wait to hear more from all of you guys.

AA ERA
    mission: Thanks for responding and adding quality insights. I really think Torii's playoff series will mean a breakout year. Obviously, he hasn't done as much as damage as Justin Morneau has done, but I think he will have a good year. I like the fact Torii is seizing the leadership role and he is doing the little things. I like how he has added stealing bases to his game going back to August of last year.

As for Michael, he will be a good player. I think as he gets lot of playing time, his confidence will increase and he will start playing well. He made a name of himself in the ALDS hence why he got playing time.

Here's a link of Mauer, Morneau, and the rest of the young players in the minors in today's Strib:
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5391401.html

Here is an article on Brandon McCarthy:
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5390211.html

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    You cant count out the Tigers as at least a darkhorse. They could put it together and make a run potentially. but i generally agree with Mission with most of analysis.
    As I told ABG, I think the Tigers could get hot later in the year and have that run the Angels had in 2002. They got the pitching and a good bullpen to get it done.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfan30
    yea ill applause your work as well, i also like how you broke the teams down....great job.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast