0 0%
  • Other (Please list)

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 NL MVP: You Decide

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by albbla2000mu
    Saying he had the lead in HR and RBI when he came back just greater illustrates how much more dominate Howard was at the plate in the 2nd half of the season than Pujols.
    No it illustrates how much more dominant Pujols would be over Howard had he stayed healthy. Howard having more plate appearances allows him to lead over Pujols.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    No one's stated this argument...

While the Cards have pretty much cruised to another division title (I know that the Reds gave them a run until about August, but the Cards have pretty much put it away), Howard single-handedly has helped the Phils stay in the hunt for the wild card after the Phillies ownership sold off a lot of parts at the trade deadline, thinking they were out of it.

Howard's driven in more runs and created more runs than Pujols has. Therefore, he should win the MVP.
    Pujols is hitting near .400 w/RISP as Howard is hitting just under .300. Howard having played more games allows him to more runs driven in. And the Cards have not cruised to anything yet and as a Reds fan you should know that. Cards have yet to clinch the Central.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    love_that_pujols
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    No it illustrates how much more dominant Pujols would be over Howard had he stayed healthy. Howard having more plate appearances allows him to lead over Pujols.
    more plate appearances = more production
    more production = helps the team more
    helps the team more = more valuable

Cards are 6.5 up in the Central with 11 left, Phillies are half a game back in the wild card. It's much harder to produce when every game means something when you are the man who needs to produce like Howard is. And yet he keeps on producing and really has carried them through the race. But then again the Cards wouldn't be anywhere close to a division title without Pujols. But the fact of the matter is Howard has produced more with the season on the line, and despite the Phils looking like their season might be over in May hung tough for the long haul, relying almost solely on Howard for run production.

And seriously, projected stats if Pujols had been healthy don't mean shit. The award is based on how much you produced and helped the team. Being injured should hurt his chances because he wasn't in the lineup when the team needed him. Maybe he would have had the greatest season ever, it doesn't matter when it comes down to who was more valuable to the team.

PAs matter. Howard's 60 extra PA or so do matter, pretty significant and a 1.000 OPS with 600 PAs is that much more valuable than the same OPS with 540.

However, I still like Pujols defense enough to make up for it.

And let's be serious, are we really going to be biased against a player either because his team is inferior enough to not make the playoffs or his team is superior enough to make the playoffs comfortably? Come on.

I have an idea, let's just automatically elminate from the MVP race any player whose team ends up 3 games ahead or behind of the second place team or leader (respectively). And what the hell, let's eliminate any team who doesn't win the WS either. And if that WS team is dominant enough to win by more than three games over their next best competitor, no one gets MVP!
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Was he healthy when he came back? Yes. Was he leading Howard in HR and RBI when he came back? Yes. Howard has outperformed him in the 2nd half, Period.
    Howard.....July until Present.... 31 HR and 75 RBI
    Pujols.......July until Present.... 20 HR and 62 RBI

Pujols:
    July . .361 .441 .691 1.132
    August .315 .379 .568 .947
    September .375 .464 .722 1.187

Howard:
    July .267 .411 .593 1.004
    August .348 .464 .750 1.214
    September .415 .576 .923 1.499

This isnt brain surgery.....Howard has been the best player in the 2nd half and overall EASILY. Your argument only holds water if your promoting Pujols for first half MVP.

1st Half: Pujols
    2nd Half: Howard
    Overall: Howard

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

the MVP award is for an enitire year... Consistency and production, So Pujols must be the MVP.. He produces for the entire year!!! Not just half of the year!!!! MVP is an award for your production through the entire year, not just one half of the season... Not taking anything away from Howard, he is having a special second half. If they gave out the awards for each half, then I agree Howard would deserve the second-half MVP, but they don't!!!!! The same goes for every other award, Cy Young, Rookie, Manager...

REMEMBER IT IS AN AWARD FOR THE WHOLE YEAR FOLKS.....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This isnt brain surgery.....Howard has been the best player in the 2nd half and overall EASILY. Your argument only holds water if your promoting Pujols for first half MVP.

So Howard can win based on one half but not Pujols? Look at the record of the Cards when Pujols was out. They were .500 and they really started to struggle. To say Howard is better OVERALL is nuts. I cannot believe you people think the Cards have had an easy season.

Pujols is hitting .398 with RISP, Howard is hitting .239
    Howard has 170 SOs, Pujols has 45!!!
    Pujols has a better BA, OBP, is a better fielder and baserunner, more GW or game tying RBI and everything else Mission has already stated. Pujols and HOward are equally as important to their teams and if so you have to go with the better player which is CLEARLY Pujols but I guess chicks love the long ball

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I second reefer's post about PUJOLS!!!!!

I love how reefer blatantly ignores the fact that Pujols has missed 20 games this season. When Howard wins the MVP trophy in REALITY this year that will be why.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I alwys thought the MVP should go to the best player... Pujols is proven and consistent year in and year out. This is where I feel Howard is going to loose votes. Again this is just like when Pujols was young, his numbers may have been just as good or better than Bonds, but Bonds got the award. Reputation and experience helped Bonds then, and it will help Pujols now..

Pujols does more than just hit HR's. He is quickly becoming the new era Bonds. Teams are not taking a chance as often when the game is on the line. Hence he gets intentionally walked more. That my folks is a little thing called RESPECT by his peers and opponents.

Another reasons or argument in favor of Pujols for NL MVP!!!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I love how reefer blatantly ignores the fact that Pujols has missed 20 games this season. When Howard wins the MVP trophy in REALITY this year that will be why.
    How did I ignore it when I have mentioned it in about every post? Please learn to read. Howard won the ROY while only playing a third of the season so looks like kharma. I love you ignored my first question

Your first question was giving him the award based on half the season. I never said that. I simply said Howard played better in the second half and better overall. IE, Howard has better overall numbers. And if you didnt ignore the fact he missed 20 games then you wouldnt be shocked when Howard is hoisting his MVP trophy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Again,how have I ignored when I mentioned it multiple times? And this whole post is you saying that Howard was better in one half of baseball hence giving him the award.

Was he healthy when he came back? Yes. Was he leading Howard in HR and RBI when he came back? Yes. Howard has outperformed him in the 2nd half, Period.
    Howard.....July until Present.... 31 HR and 75 RBI
    Pujols.......July until Present.... 20 HR and 62 RBI

Pujols:
    July . .361 .441 .691 1.132
    August .315 .379 .568 .947
    September .375 .464 .722 1.187

Howard:
    July .267 .411 .593 1.004
    August .348 .464 .750 1.214
    September .415 .576 .923 1.499

Howard only has better HRs and RBI and that's it and has not been better OVERALL so quit saying Howard has better numbers. Even in your post you point out that Pujols has a more well rounded second half.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast