Thread: Craig Wilson for Clement?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Craig Wilson for Clement?

By Rob Rossi
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, March 18, 2006

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Craig Wilson's days with the Pirates could be numbered.
    According to a major-league source, the Pirates are trying to trade Wilson, their 29-year-old outfielder/first baseman, for a veteran pitcher that would shore up their rotation. One target could be Boston Red Sox right-hander Matt Clement, a Butler High School graduate.

At least four clubs are believed to be interested in acquiring Wilson before the start of the regular season.

In return for Wilson, a bench player they profess to deeply covet, the Pirates are hoping to snag an experienced pitcher who would replace Kip Wells in the starting rotation.

Wells, 28, is expected to miss at least half the season after earlier this month undergoing a vein graft procedure to correct a circulatory condition in his throwing arm.

General manager Dave Littlefield reiterated Friday that he would be comfortable beginning the season with a rotation consisting of mostly younger, inexperienced pitchers. But he followed that vote of confidence by hinting -- for the first time during spring training -- that he might be looking outside the organization for rotation help.

"You're always trying to get stronger anywhere that you can get it," Littlefield said.
    When asked about the interest in Wilson, Littlefield said: "We talk to general managers every day, and the good news is that people are interested in our players.''

In light of the uncertainty surrounding Wells' return and in an effort to end a streak of 13 consecutive losing seasons, the Pirates are pursuing a veteran to join young left-handers Zach Duke, Paul Maholm, Oliver Perez and right-hander Ian Snell in the rotation.
    In Duke, Maholm, Perez and Snell, the Pirates would be stocking their rotation with four players under the age of 25.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_434540.html

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This could be a very interesting trade. As a Reds fan, I fear something like this happening because I believe Clement would be a great addittion to this staff. They are already scary with all the young talent and to add Clement would be a bigger impact on opposing bats.

How possible do you guys think this is? And do you Bucs fans like this idea?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I suppose it's not too bad. Wilson is just a bench player right now, and he'd probably get the first base job if Casey got hurt(Thus blocking Eldred more). So getting a #2-3 starter for him may not be bad news.

He'd probably be moved again at midseason, too, so if it nets us more spects in the long run, I'm all for it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think Wilson is asking very little for Clement to be honest. Like you said, he is a bench player right now. Although he could start if he needed to and he has a nice powerful stroke, I don't think he is enough for Clement even after his fallout last season.

I think that is a deal the Red Sox would be willing to think about

A) The Sox have too many pure SPs. Sure, Papelbon and Arroyo could pitch relief, but they don't want to stunt Papelbon, and Arroyo, well...I like the guy. Still, that's one too many.
    B) Clement is a guy they'd like to deal, as he costs 7,000,000 and he's surplus at this point.
    C) Wilson could fill some good roles for the Sox. He could be a COF backup to rest Manny or Nixon if needed. He can also be a backup in case Youks/Snow gets hurt and they need a platooner/rest.

I kind of like the idea.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Horacio Ramirez for Craig Wilson, works for me.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Horacio for Craig?

Done.

In a second.

As for this deal, the rumors should end now that the Red Sox got Wily Mo, so no worries about adding salary here(hopefully).

I'd give you HoRam for Wilson any day of the week.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic