Thread: Pirates Prospects

MLB ERA

Pirates Pirates Prospects

In recent years I've noticed a trend: The Pirates, Devil Rays, and Royals always suck. If this isn't strikingly obvious to you, then you probably don't watch a lot of baseball. The one advantage of having the terrible streak of depressing play is the Amateur Draft.

It is finally a chance for these teams to shed the tag of mediocrity and hopefully start anew. In two or three years that is. The one problem is when teams squander their picks on worthless players, like Tampa on Josh Hamilton.

But the Pirates don't often waste these picks. In fact, their forty man roster is loaded with their own draft picks. The Pirates have stayed pat for several losing seasons, not dealing their top prospects often, and when they do it is only for sure investments (Sean Casey).

Here are the Pirates homegrown prospects:
    Bryan Bullington: Oft injured pitcher, still deemed a top talent. (1st Round, 2002)
    Sean Burnett: Lefty pitcher who hasn't produced in the Majors yet. (1st Round 2000)
    Matthew Capps: Pitcher who was moved to Relief, and is now looked upon as a formidable future middle relief option. (7th Round, 2002)
    Zach Duke: Lefty, Top Pitching Prospect. (20th Round, 2000)
    Mike González: Lefty, Candidate for Closer Job this Year. (30th Round, 1997)
    John Grabow: Yet another Lefty, decent middle reliever. (3rd Round, 1997)
    Mike Johnston: Another solid Lefty middle reliever. (20th Round, 1998)
    Ian Oquendo/Snell: This righty could be a major contributor to either the rotation or bullpen. (26th Round, 2000)
    John Van Benschoten: Kent State Power Hitter/Closer, drafted and put in system as pitcher. Has missed past 2 seasons, but still recognized as Top Prospect. (1st Round, 2001)
    Ryan Doumit: Catching Prospect, split time between AAA and the MLB last year. (2nd Round, 1999)
    Jose Bautista: Outfielder/3B who has bounced around the ML, and is now back on his original drafter. (20th Round, 2000)
    Jose Castillo: 2nd Baseman, one of best fielders in the game. (Amateur FA, 1997)
    Brad "Big Country" Eldred: Top Prospect, who played 1st but will most likely move due to the acquistion of Sean Casey. (6th Round, 2002)
    Chris Duffy: Outfield Prospect, who hit .341 in 43 games. (8th Round, 2001)
    Nate McLouth: Good Young Centerfielder, expected to compete for a job this Spring. (25th Round, 2000)

These are all quality prospects. The Prates should be feared in the next few years.

(Sites used: Wikipedia, Baseball Reference)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Somewhere along the way, I'll be posting the Baseball America scouting reports for most of these guys. It's certainly an encouraging sign to see all of those guys being home grown(Even though Gonzalez was from Boston).

Another thing, I highly doubt Eldred could play any position but first base with any kind of average defense. He's probably just going to play in the minors until midseason, and if we're not in the race, Casey will be moved to a contender to make room.

And I disagree with Josh Hamilton being a useless pick, as well. Dude's baseball talent is impossible to despute, his decision making is his flaw.

Rep+

MLB ERA
    Actually, Gonzalez was drafted by the Pirates, he was in their system, then traded for Brandon Lyon, then the Pirates traded Lyon back again for Gonzalez. Here's Gonzalez's profile @ baseballreference.

Transactions
    June 4, 1996: Drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 17th round of the 1996 amateur draft, but did not sign.

June 3, 1997: Drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 30th round of the 1997 amateur draft.

July 22, 2003: Traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates with Scott Sauerbeck to the Boston Red Sox for Brandon Lyon and Anastacio Martinez.

July 31, 2003: Traded by the Boston Red Sox with Freddy Sanchez and cash to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Brandon Lyon, Jeff Suppan, and Anastacio Martinez.
    Mike Gonzalez

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    ****, that is right.

Lyon was hurt so we sent him back to Boston and took Gonzalez back. Man, I'm just out of it this afternoon.

MLB ERA
    Yeah well it ended up being a terrible deal: Scott Sauerbeck and Jeff Suppan for Freddy Guzman and cash. But you guys got to hold on to Gonzalez, and now he's the closer.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it was horrible deal.

It was about dumping cash in that one. Suppan did nothing for Boston, and neither did Sauerbeck. Anastacio turned into a bust-spect, too. Gonzalez has the closer role right now, and Freddy is our top utility man at this point. I can't complain with that.

The deal that still gets me is Lofton and Ramirez for Bruback, Hill and Hernandez.

MLB ERA
    Oh yeah that deal hurt, more from the vantage point of losing Ramirez, then gaining those busts. And Martinez is only 28 and his stuff is decent, he may be a solid reliever/starter if the BoSox could find room.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Martinez has always had good stuff. He was available as a minor league free agent last year, nobody wanted him, and he was available in the Rule V draft this year.

He's unlikely to be anything.

MLB ERA

Eldred?

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon
    ...I highly doubt Eldred could play any position but first base with any kind of average defense. He's probably just going to play in the minors until midseason, and if we're not in the race, Casey will be moved to a contender to make room. ...
    Wait, this makes me think, why trade for Casey when you have a highly touted ML-ready prospect at his position?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He's not major league ready, at this point.

His strikeout number last year was way too high, that why they didn't just give him the job this year. Plus, we only gave up Dave freaking Williams for him, it's not like it was a young-cheap-valuable-good pitcher for Casey.

MLB ERA
    I guess, but if Eldred is tearing through the system and Casey is having an All Star year what are the Pirates gonna do?

Rookie ERA
    if that happens the Pirates will probably keep Casey at first and let Eldred do his thing in the minors as wilton said he is not MLB ready YET but will be soon