Thread: Pirates increase offer to Mueller

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Pirates Pirates increase offer to Mueller

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_402919.html

In their effort to land free-agent third baseman Bill Mueller, the Pirates have increased their offer to a three-year deal believed to be worth over $4 million a year. The club had originally offered Mueller a two-year contract.

Mueller, 34, is also speaking with the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Francisco Giants, and is reportedly leaning toward signing with a West Coast team.

Mueller, the 2003 American League batting champion, spent the past three seasons with the Boston Red Sox. In 2003, he was managed by Grady Little, who was recently hired to manage the Dodgers.

Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield has said that upgrading the third-base position is a top priority for the Pirates this offseason. As things stand now, utility infielder Freddy Sanchez would likely be the Pirates starting third baseman, if they do not acquire one through a trade or free agency.
    I'll be surprised if the Pirates sign him.

Rookie ERA
    yeah he probbley wants to go to a well established team and now with Grady in LA they are top dogs at him..nothing we can do but try

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    A 3 year deal to someone who's going to block Jose Bautista? Why? Why?

I'd rather take a look at a former Pirate, Joe Randa on a 1 year deal.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Credit: Rotoworld.com

The Pirates could be closing in on a three-year, $13.5 million contract with Bill Mueller.
    "It looks like something is going to happen soon," a source close to the negotiations told the Beaver County Times. "I'd say it will happen this week and it's looking pretty good for the Pirates." Dec. 13 - 2:36 pm et

Rookie ERA

Free agent 3rd baseman to choose Dodgers over Pirates

Free agent 3rd baseman to choose Dodgers over Pirates

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates will lose out on their bid to acquire free-agent third baseman Bill Mueller, a source close to the negotiations revealed this morning.

Mueller will choose instead to sign a two-year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers. A dollar figure was not revealed, but it is believed the Dodgers' offer was not as lucrative as the highest one made by the Pirates. It was Mueller's preference to play on the West Coast, the source said, that defined his decision. The Pirates and Dodgers were the final two teams in the bidding on the final day. Mueller, 34, was the American League batting champion in 2003, his first year with the Boston Red Sox, and stayed with them the past two seasons. A 10-year veteran and switch-hitter, he batted .295 last season with 10 home runs and 62 RBIs.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05348/622193.stm

well it looks like we're not the team for mueller. i wonder what littlefield will do now for a third basemen?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Another write up...

Bill Mueller has decided to take a two-year deal from the Dodgers rather than a three-year deal from the Pirates, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    Mueller would rather play on the West Coast, and it looks like he'll give up money to make it happen. The Pirates could trade for David Bell, though he hardly seems like an upgrade over Freddy Sanchez. They don't seem to have interest in Joe Randa. Dec. 14 - 1:07 pm et

At least David Bell wouldn't be a canidate to block Bautista. I still don't see how they don't like Randa, especially if he'll take a 1 year deal.

AA ERA
    Randa for 1 seems nice. If you all have a prospect that is about ready that might be perfect.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Rookie ERA
    Joe Randa does not excite me i would rather see Freedy at 3rd then Randa in my opinion he (Randa) will be just like Chris Stynes(ewwww)