Thread: Pirates ink Hernandez

Rookie ERA

Pirates Pirates ink Hernandez

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NA...=.jsp&c_id=pit

PITTSBURGH -- According to published reports, the Pittsburgh Pirates have reached an agreement with free agent pitcher Roberto Hernandez on a one-year contract.
    Hernandez, 41, was 8-6 with four saves and a 2.58 ERA in 67 appearances with the New York Mets in 2005. The veteran right-hander has a record of 64-65 and a 3.33 ERA in 892 games over his 15-year big league career, which has included stops with the Mets, Phillies, Braves, Royals, Devil Rays, Giants and White Sox. He ranks 10th all time in big league history with 324 career saves.
    he has surley been around the MLB but we can use another righty in the bullpen to lead so I like a good arm in the pen

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ugh, he's going to get a chance to compete for the closer job. Didn't we just get over having an aging closer that Gonzalez and Torres were both better than? The fact that this guy is getting 2.5 million is mindblowing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I don't see Hernandez closing for the Bucs. He had a good season in '05 and will join Marte as the new guy in the pen. Not too shabby!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Are you saying that a 41 year pitcher that, outside of last year, hasn't had a good season since 2000 is a definately worth 2.75 million for a team that's not going to compete this season?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I am saying that signing a guy with a career ERA of 3.33 who had a good year last year making that much (which isn't much) will help improve your bullpen and will not be closing for the Bucs. That is what I am saying if you were even talking to me.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hernandez is 41, and the last time he had an ERA under 4 was 2000(before last year). He is no better of a bet than a minor league free agent that we could sign for 500K and a younger age.

I'm sorry, I'm not betting on a 38 year old pitcher with one good season in the last 5 to help a last place team this season.