Thread: Bay 1st step...what next?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Pirates Bay 1st step...what next?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05323/609190.stm

Now that Jason Bay is taken care of contractually for the next four seasons, who might the Pirates next consider locking up, long-term?

Pirates management probably can't answer that question. For sure, though, some Pirates player can. And will.

"I think that player will come to the forefront," owner Kevin McClatchy said.

"They sort of [separate] themselves. Jason's play sort of dictated he was the one we had to do. And I think the next folks, their play is going to help dictate who should be next."

In 2005, some Pirates did separate themselves ... negatively.

Remember when there was some clamor after the 2003 season that the Pirates should sign right-hander Kip Wells to a multiyear deal? Wells was 10-9 with a 3.28 earned run average that season.

In the next two years he was 5-7 (4.55) and 8-18 (5.09).

How about left-hander Oliver Perez, who had a breakthrough season in 2004, going 12-10 with a 2.98 ERA and 239 strikeouts in 196 innings?

In 2005, injured and/or ineffective for most of the season, Perez finished 7-5 with a 5.85 ERA.

Outfielder/first baseman Craig Wilson hit a team-high 29 home runs and had 82 RBIs in 2004.

But in 2005, battling hand injuries, Wilson played in only 59 games and managed only five home runs and 22 RBIs.

The hesitation to sign any of those three long-term proved wise.

Bay, though, was different.

He followed a solid rookie-of-the-Year season in 2004 with a better 2005. He hit .306 with 32 home runs, 101 RBIs and 110 runs scored.

He cashed in on that production Thursday by signing a four-year contract worth $18.25 million that buys out his salary arbitration years through 2009.

"It sends a message to our players that, 'Listen, you go out there and do good things on the field, you perform, you take care of yourself, you play, we're open-minded to [thinking about long-term],' " general manager Dave Littlefield said.

"It's like the lineup or the starting rotation. If you force our hand for you to bat first, you're going to bat first.
    click the link for the rest...but seriously, I can understand their hesitation, but you gotta do something, right?

Rookie ERA
    well being us Mcclathy will wait till the last minute but it will probley be.....Oliver Perez signed for a few years