Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Tracy is your new manager

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jim Tracy is your new manager

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2187256

This want do much but it is a change. Time for the GM to step up and get some pitching.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Won't help much? Anybody is better than Lloyd. As for getting pitching, I'll stick with the kids, and you can waste money on another Mark Redman.

Another link: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_382934.html

Jim Tracy, the top candidate since the interview process began nine days ago, will be named the Pirates' next manager today, according to multiple baseball sources.
    Tracy, 49, interviewed with general manager Dave Littlefield on Monday in Houston, but it was not immediately known whether he and Littlefield returned to Pittsburgh last night or headed to Bradenton, Fla., site of the team's organizational meetings.

Either way, sources said the Pirates will announce Tracy as their manager today.

The length and terms of Tracy's contract were not immediately available. Tracy, however, is believed to have gotten a raise above the $700,000 he was scheduled to make next season with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Reached in Houston early last night, Littlefield said he had not hired Tracy, who was the last of three candidates to interview for the managerial position.

Littlefield also said he wouldn't be in Pittsburgh until "the latter part of next week," but his plans may changed after he finalized his contract with Tracy.

Tracy, who was unavailable for comment, beat out former Oakland Athletics manager Ken Macha and Atlanta Braves third base coach Fredi Gonzalez.

Macha said he spoke by phone with Littlefield last night. Asked whether Littlefield had given him a decision, Macha declined comment and referred all questions to the general manager.

Tracy had a 427-383 record in five seasons with the Dodgers. His teams won 92 games in 2002 and 93 games in 2004 when the Dodgers won the National League West title and their first playoff game in 16 years.

"He has a very strong resume," Littlefield said.

Tracy was considered the front-runner because of his long association with Littlefield. They were employed by the Montreal Expos in the 1990s when Tracy was the team's bench coach.

"I know him and have a comfort level with him," Littlefield said. "It also has been a few years since we've worked together. I wanted to get up to date to make sure we still share the same ideas and philosophies."

Littlefield interviewed Macha, a Murrysville resident, at PNC Park on Sunday, then met with Tracy yesterday in Houston. Tracy's agent, Alan Hendricks, is based in Houston.

Littlefield said the location also was chosen because of geographical reasons.

"It's common ground," he said. "It's halfway for him, halfway for me."

Tracy and Macha also interviewed for the job in 2000 when Lloyd McClendon was selected to replace Gene Lamont. McClendon was fired Sept. 6, and Pete Mackanin managed the team on an interim basis for the final 26 games.

After spending five seasons with the Dodgers, Tracy parted company by mutual agreement with general manager Paul DePodesta one week ago. That decision came on the heels of a 71-91 record. DePodesta inherited Tracy as his manager, and the two did not see eye to eye on personnel decisions.

That does not figure to be a problem with Littlefield, with whom Tracy has enjoyed a strong relationship.

Macha also brought impressive credentials to the interview process. He had a 275-211 record in three seasons with the Athletics and reached the playoffs in 2003. He became available Wednesday when he and general manager Billy Beane could not reach an accord on a three-year contract.

Gonzalez is a candidate for the Florida Marlins job.

Interesting hire and one that was expected. Tracy is a good manager who just couldn't get the Dodgers to the next level.

Hopefully, Tracy gets the most out of the Pittsburgh team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Tracy will not do better than Lloyd.

What do you have to back up that statement?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The fact that the Pirates have done nothing since 1993 and don't have the pitching. Lloyd at least had some life in him and fought for his players out on the field. Tracy is a laid back type of guy and will not get in anyone's face. If the Pirates GM gets him some really good pitching to go along with that potentially good offense then maybe Tracy will do well.

Understandable. Teams react to different styles, and maybe the Pirates may just play better under Tracy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This team has to develop pitching, not go out and spend millions on average players. It's alot better Tracy than a manager with no expirience. I'm not getting high hopes that this guy is a saviour, but we have alot of nice young pitching that could make Tracy look good.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Getting a couple of veterans will help. I know this team isn't going to get the "top tier" pitchers but some vets to go along with this developing pitching will help. Perez needs to get in shape and stay healthy and get his mechanics back.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    We've tried that. Veterans have not helped this team in the last 3 years. Mark Redman, Kenny Lofton, Matt Lawton, Reggie Sanders...

Perez is a big key, if he stays healthy and reaches his potential as a one, then we may be set. Duke is very nice as a 2, and I expect Burnett to be a solid 3 if he comes back strong.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I meant veteran pitchers. Tracy is talking up Wells as though he wants him to come back. Redman did have a good first half but couldn't be found in the second. Perez and Duke would be a good 1-2 combo if Duke can repeat what he did which I see him doing. The kid is filthy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I meant veteran pitchers. Tracy is talking up Wells as though he wants him to come back. Redman did have a good first half but couldn't be found in the second. Perez and Duke would be a good 1-2 combo if Duke can repeat what he did which I see him doing. The kid is filthy.
    Wells can come back if he stays around his '05 salary. As for signing more veteran pitchers, if we're not getting a number one, why not go with the kids? I'd rather lose with young players that are getting key expirience, than veterans that are just taking spots on a losing team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Let the young guys get experience in Triple A and show you and the rest of the fans paying to see games that they want to win. Why else go to games than to see your team win? If they are out of it, then call your young guys up.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That's just a waste of money. When you don't get a key free agent to put the team over the top, why even bother not letting the kids do the job? Why deny the inevitable? If this team could come through and get a prospect or two for a free agent signing, fine, but they haven't shown that they could do that yet(Bobby Hill for ARam and Lofton, not dealing Redman, ect.).

MLB ERA
    I hate the whole "spend money to 'show that you want to win' "

I'd much rather my team make a move that makes baseball sense and actually improves the team's chances of getting better each year than to spend money just for the sake of spending money.

That concept landed Phil Nevin and Ryan Klesko with long term contracts because they had a couple good years in Padres uniforms.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast