Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Offseason Pirates News

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I still think he would've been a better addition, even as a reliever, than Ron Villone for the Marlins.

And to think, the same guy was being mentioned in Redman talks that went for Villone(Bazardo.) Damn it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Pirates are looking to trade for a power hitter and would be willing to part with Kip Wells and John Grabow.
    The Pirates also have pitching prospects, Craig Wilson and Rob Mackowiak that they could trade. Among the players they could target are Hank Blalock, Kevin Mench, Aubrey Huff, Wily Mo Pena, Lyle Overbay, Corey Hart and Ryan Church. Nov. 6 - 1:27 pm et
    Source: Beaver County Times
    -----------------------------------------------------

If Blalock really is a possibility, it'd be real nice to see them try something for him. Personally, I like Mench the best(for his price) on this list. Cross Corey Hart off this list, and everyone there looks good enough to dump Wells for.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Good news for Pirates fans everywhere.

Pirates, Bay reach terms on multiyear contract

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
    November 17, 2005
    PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Jason Bay, coming off two of the best career-starting seasons in Pittsburgh Pirates history, has agreed to a multiyear contract with the club that will cover his arbitration-eligible seasons.

The Pirates called an afternoon news conference Thursday to announce the signing of the 27-year-old outfielder.

Bay made $355,000 last season after failing to reach terms with the team and having his contract automatically renewed. He was not eligible for arbitration until after next season and could not become a free agent until after 2009.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bay and the club have been discussing contracts as long as five years, which would include his arbitration-eligible seasons and his first year of free agency.

"He's performed at a very high level, and we have a great deal of trust in what he's going to be able to do in the future," general manager Dave Littlefield said in September. "He's a fine representative of the Pirates. He's intelligent, courteous, humble, mature, a lot of positive things."

Bay followed his 2004 NL Rookie of the Year season by hitting .306 with 32 homers, 101 RBIs, 110 runs scored, 21 stolen bases and a .402 on-base percentage in 2005 despite playing on a team that lost 95 games. He finished 12th in the NL MVP voting after playing in all 162 games.

In 2004, Bay hit .282 with 26 homers and 82 RBIs in 120 games while becoming the first Rookie of the Year in club history. He won the award despite missing the first five weeks of the season after shoulder surgery.

The Pirates acquired Bay from the San Diego Padres, for whom he played briefly in 2003.

The Canadian-born Bay has a .295 average, 62 homers, 197 RBIs and 28 stolen bases in 312 career games with the Pirates and Padres.

-Link- http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    great move

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Friday's Random Pirates news...Credit: Rotoworld.com

Pirates activated 2B Jose Castillo, LHP Sean Burnett, RHP John Van Benschoten and OF Chris Duffy from the 60-day disabled list.
    Castillo and Duffy are expected to enter next season as regulars. The pitchers will either begin the year on the DL or in Triple-A Indianapolis' rotation. Nov. 18 - 11:53 pm et

Pirates purchased the contract of SS Javier Guzman, INF Yurendell De Caster, RHP Josh Sharpless and 2B Craig Stansberry.
    Guzman is the best bet in this group. As Jack Wilson gets more expensive, Guzman could take over at shortstop in two or three years. De Caster's addition is a surprise. The Pirates must disagree, but he's not a very good bet to make it as a utilityman. Nov. 18 - 11:58 pm et

Pirates signed infielder Jason Alfaro to a minor league contract.
    The Blue Jays were eager to take a look at Alfaro a year ago, but he disappointed in spring training, and his Triple-A line went from .325/.363/.477 with New Orleans in 2004 to .247/.285/.394 with Syracuse. He'll likely begin next season at Indianapolis. Nov. 19 - 12:38 am et

Pirates signed RHP Britt Reames to a minor league contract.
    Reames. 32, struggled in eight days with the A's, giving up six runs in 5 1/3 innings, but he had a 3.31 ERA and an 85/35 K/BB ratio in 93 1/3 IP for Triple-A Sacramento last season. He'll be a longshot to claim a spot in middle relief. Nov. 19 - 12:40 am et

Pirates signed RHP Terry Adams to a minor league contract.
    Adams sort of retired while at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in July, but he's back now. Maybe he has enough left in the tank to contribute as a middle reliever. He's only 32 (33 in March), but his stuff has gone downhill over the last two years. Nov. 19 - 12:43 am et

Pirates designated outfielder Tike Redman for assignment.
    The new fascination with Chris Durry ended Redman's tenure in Pittsburgh. The 28-year-old hit just .251/.292/.332 in 319 AB last season. He'll probably end up as a fifth outfielder elsewhere. Nov. 18 - 11:48 pm et

Pirates designated outfielder Michael Restovich for assignment.
    Won't someone give Restovich a chance to start against lefties? The 26-year-old has earned the opportunity. He is currently tearing up the Venezuelan Winter League. Nov. 18 - 11:47 pm et

Pirates designated RHP Jeff Miller for assignment.
    Miller could be claimed. He wasn't as effective in Triple-A as he was in Double-A in 2004, but he still had a 3.53 ERA and a 62/27 K/BB ratio in 81 2/3 IP. Nov. 18 - 11:45 pm et

I like the Adams and Reames signing from a depth spot, and hopefully Alfaro can become something useful. I was a little afraid that Sharpless was going to go in Rule V, but they made a nice add with him. He's ready enough to help in relief for a season. I can't see why Burnett won't get a chance to start in the majors next year if he's healthy, I'd much rather see him there than a veteran. It's good for Restovich that he's gone, he probably wouldn't have gotten a chance to play here. Miller is an average relief spect that I don't mind losing. I figured Tike would stay around as a 4th outfielder, and I still like him better than Duffy in the short term, but cutting ties with him isn't the worst thing they could've done.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Padres acquired infielder Bobby Hill from the Pirates for a player to be named later or cash.
    This doesn't look like much better of a situation for Hill. Even if Sean Burroughs is shipped off, with Eric Young and Geoff Blum already around as reserves, Hill won't be much more than a pinch-hitter if he makes the team. He does have a career line of .268/.363/.381 in 97 AB as a pinch-hitter, so he's worthy of a roster spot. Nov. 21 - 4:01 pm et

Good move. Bobby wasn't worth keeping at this point, but it really hurts to see the ARam trade look even worse.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Trade today, Tike Redman was traded to the Mets for cash. Can't complain with getting something for him, since he was gone anyway.

Rookie ERA
    for the pirates, cash is always good!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Pirates signed RHP Matt Whiteside to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Whiteside, 38, pitched briefly with the Blue Jays last season and served a 15-game steroids suspension while with Triple-A Syracuse. He's a fine minor league closer, but that's all he is. Nov. 29 - 6:26 pm et

Pirates signed RHP Jason Roach to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Roach, who saw time with the Mets in 2003, went 6-8 with a 5.19 ERA and a 49/36 K/BB ratio in 121 1/3 IP between Double-A Altoona and the Rays' Triple-A affiliate in Durham last season. He won't be a candidate to make the Pirates. Nov. 29 - 6:29 pm et

Pirates re-signed RHP Joe Roa to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Roa, 34, made just six appearances for Triple-A Indianapolis before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery. He'll probably remain with Indianapolis next season. Nov. 29 - 6:31 pm et

Pirates signed RHP Scott Strickland to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    He'll earn $650,000 with a chance to make $150,000 in bonuses if he earns a spot in Pittsburgh's pen. Strickland has struggled to come back from Tommy John surgery, but maybe he'll be closer to 100 percent next season. At the price of a minor league contract, he's a nice pickup.

Roa, Whiteside and Roach are nothing but some minor league depth. Strickland, however, I like. He has the potential to be a setup man if he can get back to where he was in his days in Montreal. It's a free signing, so I can't complain, anyway.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Red Sox are reportedly talking to the Pirates about a trade involving Trot Nixon for either Kip Wells or Mark Redman.
    Nixon for Wells might not be a terrible gamble. Redman would be. The Red Sox should be able to do better in either case. Nixon figures to remain injury prone, but he's still quite a force against right-handed pitching. Dec. 6 - 1:04 pm et

The Phillies are showing interest in Mark Redman, who picked up a $4.5 million player option last month to stay with the Marlins.
    The Daily News suggests that the Phillies could part with Jason Michaels to get him. Michaels has positive trade value and Redman doesn't, but that's really all that would stand in the way of a deal. Dec. 6 - 3:53 am et

Not only will Josh Fogg get an offer, but Pirates GM Dave Littlefield said he'll tender contracts all eight of his arbitration-eligible players.
    The group also includes Ty Wigginton, Craig Wilson, Jody Gerut, Rob Mackowiak, Oliver Perez, Kip Wells and Ryan Vogelsong. We assume things still could change, especially if Bill Mueller is signed. The Pirates can't put Mueller at third base, back him up with Freddy Sanchez and still carry Wigginton and Mackowiak as $1 million-plus backups. And the idea that the Pirates could pay Fogg $2.5 million-$3 million is mindblowing. Some of these players really hit the jackpot to be acquired by a team with such a high tolerance for mediocrity. Dec. 6 - 3:29 am et

The Pirates are believed to have joined the Red Sox in pursuit of Sean Casey.
    We can't believe the Reds are getting Kevin Youkilis or Bronson Arroyo from Boston for Casey, but maybe they can pick up Kip Wells from the Pirates. If so, it'd be worth doing. The Reds could then put Adam Dunn at first base and start both Wily Mo Pena and Austin Kearns in the outfield. Along with Casey, the Pirates are looking at trading for Lyle Overbay or signing Olmedo Saenz for first base. Dec. 6 - 12:17 am et

Pirates signed LHP C.J. Nitkowski to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    He'll make $500,000 in the majors or $72,000 in the minors. Nitkowski spent a couple of weeks with the Nats last season and gave up three runs in 3 1/3 innings. Even if Mike Gonzalez closes and the Pirates decide to carry three left-handed relievers, Nitkowski shouldn't make the team. Dec. 5 - 8:08 pm et

Thoughts:
    Ugh, 2.5 million for Josh Fogg? What the hell are they thinking? Nitkowski is an okay pickup as a 14th-15th pitcher, and I'm not too intrested in Casey for his price and lack of pop at first. Nixon, however, I'd love to see in right at PNC.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Pirates selected RHP Victor Santos from the Royals in the Rule 5 draft.
    So much for the pitching depth that the Royals had picked up. This looks like a response to the Pirates' losing Dave Williams and Mark Redman. Santos, who went 4-13 with a 4.57 ERA in 24 starts and five relief appearances for the Brewers last season, could compete with Josh Fogg for the fifth spot in the club's rotation. Dec. 8 - 12:38 pm et

Pirates acquired RHP Clayton Hamilton from the Padres to complete the Bobby Hill trade.
    The Pirates selected Hamilton in the 21st round of the 2003 draft, but he chose not to sign. The Padres then took him in the 18th round in 2004. He went 11-8 with a 3.30 ERA, 140 H and 104/45 K/BB in 150 IP at two levels of A ball last season. Dec. 8 - 2:57 pm et

Pirates acquired RHP Chad Blackwell from the Royals to complete the Mark Redman trade.
    Blackwell, who turns 23 next month, had a 2.23 ERA and 74 strikeouts in 68 2/3 IP for low Single-A Burlington last season. There's nothing exceptional about him as a prospect, but it's possible he'll reach the majors someday. Dec. 8 - 2:59 pm et

Nothing there with the PTBNL's, but picking up Santos is another good move. I think he's a better bet at his price than Josh Fogg and I'd love to see Fogg get NT'ed and just go with Santos as the 5th starter.

Rookie ERA
    yeah I just read all this on Pirates.com but yeah good deal for us we have a good realiver coming in Damaso Marte but had to cut ties with Mackowiack still Wiggy is now gone who I never liked at 3rd and Santos will be a better fit then Fogg i think so too so lets see what happens we need a 3rd baseman now for sure

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Pirates continue to have discussions with the Rangers about outfielders Kevin Mench and Laynce Nix.
    The Rangers are believed to be asking for either Paul Maholm, Ian Snell or Tom Gorzelanny. The Pirates can't give up a member of that trio for a player who would be mostly a defensive upgrade over Craig Wilson. Dec. 14 - 3:53 am et

I don't like giving up a member of that group, but Mench IS an upgrade over Wilson offensively and defensively. He's the bat that we need as the #2 power guy.

Rookie ERA
    yeah we will have to give up alot to get something in return but i'm not sure they will pull this off without loseing anybody that could be good in the future...but I would like the trade THIS YEAR..but long run im not sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12