Pirates Q&A with Dejan Kovacevic
Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Submit your question about the Pirates.

Q: Dejan, a lot of positions are coming together for the Pirates. One exception is third base. What do you think the Pirates will do to address this problem?

I would prefer the Pirates trade some of the pitching prospects for a quality and proven third baseman such as Eric Chavez from Oakland. Dave Littlefield has said since he got here that he was going to use the minor-league pitching depth -- which is finally here -- for some proven position players.

Freddy Sanchez is a good backup middle infielder, but not an everyday third baseman. Rob Mackowiak is a tremendous supersub but, once again, not an everyday third baseman. Ty Wiggington and Bobby Hill have shown they are not everyday third baseman. The only other guy is Jose Bautista. My problem with him is that he is only in Class AA and lost an entire season last year because of the Rule 5 debacle. I would prefer he spend at least another year in the minors.

With the All-Star Game coming, it is time to get a proven All-Star, and third base seems like the perfect position.

Paul McGrath of Shaler

KOVACEVIC: No question, all vacancy signs on the Pirates' diamond point to third base.

If you are of the mind that Jason Bay is in left, Chris Duffy in center, Craig Wilson in right, Jack Wilson at short, Jose Castillo at second, Brad Eldred at first and Ryan Doumit behind the plate, then you can see only one hole among position players.

The only one who would appear to be iffy in that group is Craig Wilson, and that would only be if his salary soars way above the current $3 million through the arbitration process. Given that he has not played almost all season, that seems unlikely. As a result, the Pirates could get 25-30 home runs and 75-80 RBIs from the right field spot by keeping him, a very good value for that price.

It comes down to third.

There is not much in the way of free agency at the position, certainly not from the Pirates' viewpoint. The only reasonable targets would be Bill Mueller and Joe Randa, and the Pirates essentially have those players already.

A trade is the only realistic route. And, as you point out, the only commodities the Pirates can spare are pitchers.

That said, the idea that they can give up prospects for a proven -- or, as you seek, All-Star -- third baseman is to give up experienced pitchers. Not prospects. Rare is the occasion on which a player with no major-league experience can net a top-flight everyday player. Same with the package deals, another popular misperception. Teams do not give up one excellent player for a pile of mediocrity, no matter how high that pile is stacked.

I know nobody enjoys entertaining the idea of giving up a pitcher they would rather keep, but that probably is what it will take to get this type of performer.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05236/559097.stm