Thread: Mesa would love to return in '06!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Mesa would love to return in '06!

Pirates Notebook: Mesa likely to return as closer in '06
    Friday, August 05, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Signs are pointing to Jose Mesa staying on as the Pirates' closer next year.

Mesa wants it to happen, and the team apparently does, too.

"No question about it, I would love to be here again," Mesa said yesterday in his first interview in nearly a month. "But that's up to them. If I'm here, I will be very happy again."

Mesa, 39, is in the final guaranteed year of a contract with a salary of $2 million. He has a 2006 team option worth $4 million. If the team declines the option, Mesa is owed a $500,000 buyout.

The Pirates have not fully determined their plan for Mesa, but management is leaning toward bringing him back for another year. The team is not likely to exercise the $4 million option, though, and could seek to negotiate a lower salary.

Mesa has been wobbly at times this season, allowing opponents to bat .288 against him and posting a 3.76 earned run average, but he has nailed down 26 of 29 possible saves. His save total is seventh highest in Major League Baseball, and his three blown saves are second fewest among those with 27 or more opportunities.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05217/549104.stm

AA ERA
    Yea I would try and sign him for less. 4 million is a bit much when you don't expect to contend. He's only going to be around for one more year so it's not too big of a deal if you don't keep him.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Rookie ERA
    nooooo Mesa needs gone out of the door I want to try Mike Gonzalez some young blood Mesa Time has expired

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by go_bucs2000
    nooooo Mesa needs gone out of the door I want to try Mike Gonzalez some young blood Mesa Time has expired
    I agree. Mesa's time as a closer in Pittsburgh has passed. I don't know that I'd mind seing him in the 7th inning though, with Torres in the 8th and Gonzalez in the 9th...

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon
    I agree. Mesa's time as a closer in Pittsburgh has passed. I don't know that I'd mind seing him in the 7th inning though, with Torres in the 8th and Gonzalez in the 9th...
    yea I agree that would be good Mesa as a MRP his closer days ended when he blew two in a row verus the cubs this year