Link: Pirates notebook: Cole, Taillon to play in Futures Game | TribLIVE

Right-handed pitchers Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon on Thursday were named to the Team USA roster for the All-Star Futures Game. The game is July 8 at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

Triple-A Indianapolis pitching coach Tom Filer will handle those duties for Team USA.

“It’s a great opportunity for them,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. “Every player I’ve talked to said it’s had a dramatic impact on them. It should do nothing but help them moving forward.”

Pedro Alvarez, Andrew McCutchen and A.J. Burnett are among 223 active major leaguers who played in one of the previous 13 Futures Games.

Cole made his Double-A debut Wednesday and pitched five strong innings to earn the win for Altoona. Taillon (4-6, 4.10 ERA) tossed seven shutout innings in his final start for High-A Bradenton, snapping a monthlong slump. He admitted that he was looking ahead to a possible promotion to Double-A.

“I let it get to me a little bit and got too excited,” he said. “It’s part of the learning process. When the call comes, it comes. I can’t control it.”
Good for them. Hopefully Tailon doesn't stink up the joint like he did last year.