Thread: McCutchen's finally extended

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates McCutchen's finally extended

Pirates To Extend Andrew McCutchen: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

The Pirates and Andrew McCutchen have agreed to a six-year extension worth $51.5MM with a club option for a seventh year, according to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The deal is pending a physical, and is expected to be officially announced on Tuesday (Twitter links). Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has the salary breakdown.

McCutchen's contract buys out his final pre-arbitration year, all three arbitration years, and a pair of free agent seasons with a club option for another. All told, the Buccos now control their young superstar through the 2018 season. Given his service time, they previously controlled him through 2015.McCutchen

The 25-year-old Aegis Sports Management client has just two fewer days of service time than Jay Bruce did when he signed nearly the same deal -- six years and $51MM. Likewise, Justin Upton had less than three years of service time when the Diamondbacks locked him up for six years and $51.25MM. The Pirates, like the Reds, were able to secure a club option, which Arizona failed to do in Upton's case. MLBTR's Tim Dierkes examined McCutchen's case last May, noting how he'd played significantly more games than Upton and deserved at least as much money.

Pittsburgh selected McCutchen with the 11th overall pick in the 2005 draft. He debuted as a 22-year-old in 2009, and has since tallied 420 big league games while hitting a strong .276/.365/.458 with 51 homers and 78 steals. Ultimate zone rating hasn't been kind to McCutchen's defense thus far in his career, but he did post a positive mark for the first time in 2011, checking in with a UZR/150 of +3.3.

The Pirates have long been interested in locking McCutchen up, and now should have two-thirds of their outfield set for many years. Last August, the team secured a multi-year deal with Jose Tabata as well, inking a six-year guarantee with club options that run through the 2019 season.
    I am really excited for the Pirates as they just might get to keep one of their star players for a change. McCutchen is one of the more electric players in the league and has many All Star years ahead of him. He's a franchise guy and is now being paid like one. Pirates will have him locked up through his prime which is really all you want. Let's all just hope he stays healthy because this is a great day for Pirates baseball.

Rookie ERA

Re: McCutchen's finally extended

Good. I hate facing McCutchen a million times a year, but he's a great player. Well done, Buccos.
    Last edited by Trendy Bastard; 03-05-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Meh, They'll trade him at the deadline for the likes of Beltran or something.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Last time the Pirates locked up a young outfielder long term(forgetting the Tabata deal, for a minute), he was gone by midseason.(Nate McLouth).

I'm excited for the move, though. Locking him up until he's in his mid 30s was the right move for the future. Now, if only we could develop a pitcher without having them go through Tommy John first...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    Last time the Pirates locked up a young outfielder long term(forgetting the Tabata deal, for a minute), he was gone by midseason.(Nate McLouth).
    Huntington quickly realized that mistake (even though I thought it was a good extension at the time) and made the best of it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It really wasn't the best of it. I would assume someone would've gave us a prospect that actually panned out. (I know, Charlie Morton was decent.) But he had a ton of value, it would've been nice if Gorkys Hernandez or Jeff Locke was established as well.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

McLouth wasn't that good so getting 3 for 1 was making the best of it in my view. Plus Hernandez was a highly touted prospect at the time. I still think Locke has a chance to be a good reliever.