Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AJ Burnett Trade Talk

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates AJ Burnett Trade Talk

The Yankees and Pirates continue discussing a possible A.J. Burnett trade, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. The Yankees are willing to pay a substantial portion of the $33MM remaining on the right-hander’s contract through 2013, but the teams are still a few million apart. The Yankees first offered to pay less than one third of Burnett's salary, Heyman tweets.

The Yankees want to create payroll room for a designated hitter and appear to be leaning toward Raul Ibanez, perhaps because they prefer his ability to play the outfield. Johnny Damon and Eric Chavez also intrigue the Yankees as possible free agent additions, according to Heyman. The Pirates rejected the Yankees’ request for Garrett Jones, Heyman writes.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Burnett’s no-trade list includes all of the teams on the West Coast (Twitter links). Sherman expects the Yankees to trade Burnett before Spring Training and suggests the team is waiting to see if the Pirates or another club offers to absorb more money.
    This rumor has been floating around for a bit now but now it seems to be picking up more and more steam. Huntington has to just say no! I don't care how much money the Yankees are willing to eat, no reason for the Pirates to make this deal. They are better off staying in house than trading for a wildly inconsistent pitcher who has posted ERA's over 5 the past two seasons. He also doesn't help the future of this team going forward. As of right now, the rotation looks like (in no particular order) Bedard, McDonald, Karstens, Morton, Correia with guys like Locke and Lincoln as depth. I can see the all doing better than Burnett which should tell you a lot about Burnett. If the Pirates want to make a trade for a pitcher, they are looking at the wrong team in the AL East. The Rays have Wade Davis who would be a better choice in every way. No need for the Pirates to bail the Yankees out of a bad contract.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

re: AJ Burnett Trade Talk

So they're not willing to pay more than a third of his awful contract, AND they want players in return? I think Burnett could be a fine pitcher outside of the division, the ballpark and the city of New York, but if they really want to trade him, they better lower that asking price.

And he's better than Bobby Hill and Brant Brown, so they Pirates shouldn't have intrest anyway.

MLB ERA

I might cream my pants. Go Cashman, go!
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So glad to see the Pirates sticking to their guns and only offering $10 million for Burnett. Very glad a deal has not been made and I will be ecstatic if Huntington realizes how bad a deal this will be.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The word now from MLBNetwork seems to be 13 mill for us. Figures to be two-non 40 man roster prospects going back. I could see him as a semi-bargain at 6 or 7 mill each over the next two in a down division, so, as long as we give up nothing, there are worse guys to gamble on. (How much did we take on in the Matt Morris deal? Aye.)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This would be exactly like the Matt Morris deal which set the Pirates back! Don't get me wrong, as a Giants fan I loved the Morris deal but no Pirates fan should have. Huntington is getting this team going in the right direction and Burnett ruins all of that. Sit on the money or invest it more wisely in the team (McCutchen extension) but don't waste it on Burnett. This is a pitcher that was hit harder away from Yankee Stadium and now 35 years old. $13 million and two minor leaguers is just too much for a team that shouldn't be giving any minor leaguers away.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well, the two players are agreed on. Burnett recently blocked a trade to LA of Anaheim, so it's the Pirates or one other unnamed team. Oh well, it's not like we didn't need pitching help, I guess.

I probably would've rather had Ross Ohlendorf on a minor league deal, though.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Or hell, bring back Tim Wakefield for one last hoorah.

MLB ERA

Brett Tomko was available

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    So I guess pirate fans are clueless then? Even as bad as hes been Burnett would still be your best starter based on k/9 and hits/9 . AJ has problems with the longball but PNC would suppress that

Huntington would be a genius to get Burnett and flip him in July to a contender

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Whats that? Cy Young going to the pirates???

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It looks like the Pirates will pay $13 million and give two low level minor leaguers to get Burnett. If any of those minor leaguers make the big leagues, this deal will look even worse. Pirates should be stockpiling minor leaguers, not giving them away for 35 year old, diminishing pitchers who get hit hard wherever they go. PNC is not going to save Burnett from giving up the long ball and being crushed! Sure Burnett can still strike some guys out but he can also walk a ton of batters plus get hit hard and often. Burnett makes his own bad luck. That's not going to change because of the park he plays in or the uniform on his back.

What's really sad is a small market team helped bail out the biggest market team.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Meh, the money we're taking on for Burnett is technically paid by the Yankees through the luxury tax, anyway.

Hard to believe the Pirates haven't had a 195 inning pitcher since 2009, but I guess it's true.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Luxury tax money that should be spent more wisely. Looks like the Yankees will receive Double-A reliever Diego Moreno and Low-A outfielder Exicardo Cayones in the deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast