Thread: Pirates ink McLouth, Morales

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates Pirates ink McLouth, Morales

Per MLBTR and rotoworld
    The Pirates have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with Nate McLouth, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). The deal is pending a physical. It's a big league deal worth $1.75MM, tweets Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The deal represents a reunion for the Pirates and McLouth, who was drafted by Pittsburgh in 2000 and spent nearly a decade in the organization before being traded to the Braves in 2009. After a disappointing two and a half year stint in Atlanta, the Braves declined McLouth's option for 2012, making him a free agent.

MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported earlier today that the Pirates were getting close to a deal to bring back McLouth.

Pirates signed C Jose Morales to a minor league contract.
    The deal includes an invite to spring training. Morales, who turns 29 in February, batted .267/.352/.317 with a .699 OPS over 71 plate appearances with the Rockies this past season before fracturing his right thumb in June. He'll compete for the backup catcher job behind Rod Barajas.
    Pretty solid deals for the Pirates. They get a backup OFer who can draw a walk and has a little pop when healthy. Being a backup should help him stay healthy. McLouth returns to the Pirates where he had bis best years so maybe the homecoming will do some good. Morales seems like a decent fit on a minor league deal. He has good numbers at the big league level though on a very limited basis but his minor league numbers back them up.

There are also rumors that the Pirates are close to signing Wilson Betemit which would be a good insurance policy if Alvarez struggles again and can't stay healthy.

Rookie ERA

Re: Pirates ink McLouth, Morales

Pirates ink McLouth, Morales-12051347-jpg

Rookie ERA

Pirates pay almost 5 million to erik bedard

I can't wait until they make a late bid on someone who kind of was good but had his labrum explode. The overspending will be lovely. The results will be terrible. The PR campaign around this player hilarious. - Sabu last season
    Bédard only played the first four months of the 2009 season before landing on the disabled list due to a torn labrum in his pitching shoulder
    New year...same dance.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

There's nothing solid about McCanthittheballanymore.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    There's nothing solid about McCanthittheballanymore.
    If Reefer says it's a solid signing it is....

Hey all the Pirates on the team are losers....Huntington is doing his best to get rid of those players. You see, he got rid of McClouth because he didn't fit into their plans....The reason he came back was...oh....

....oh.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

To ensure Jose Costanzo still gets at bats in Atlanta?

Yay. Thanks Neal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Sabu88 View Post
    If Reefer says it's a solid signing it is....
    ...a solid signing!

Terrible job bringing up McLouth. Pirates traded him away, freed up money, got good players in return and now signed him for $1.75 million. Yeah, man. What an awful situation!

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    ...a solid signing!

Terrible job bringing up McLouth. Pirates traded him away, freed up money, got good players in return and now signed him for $1.75 million. Yeah, man. What an awful situation!
    Hey I guess they'll just sign Aramis Ramirez now after freeing up money, getting....well getting players in return, and now will get him back for much cheaper.

Good logic on that one.

Mcclouth wasn't part of the "core" group of players. He was just the type of piece of shit you said the Pirates should get rid of because they wouldn't win with those players. They bring him back in...bring him back in when he's actually regressed to a terrible degree and you call it a solid signing then try to shelf it off by saying "they got players in return for him herp derp and have him back".

So....
    Matt Diaz v. Nate Mcclouth...who you got in a steel cage match?

Looks oddly..familiar....hm...how...does it..?

No ! No way!

Logic. Use it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hey I guess they'll just sign Aramis Ramirez now after freeing up money, getting....well getting players in return, and now will get him back for much cheaper.
    If only that made sense.

Mcclouth wasn't part of the "core" group of players. He was just the type of piece of shit you said the Pirates should get rid of because they wouldn't win with those players. They bring him back in...bring him back in when he's actually regressed to a terrible degree and you call it a solid signing then try to shelf it off by saying "they got players in return for him herp derp and have him back".
    Again, you aren't making any sense. McLouth is nothing like the players I said Huntington should have gotten rid of last year. The Pirates traded him when his stock was high, got good players in return while freeing up money. It was a smart play by the Pirates. I guess by "try to shelf it off" you mean stating facts. McLouth is coming back as a 4th/5th OFer, nothing more. If you want to cry over getting good depth for not a lot of money, go right ahead.

Logic. Use it.
    I suggest you take your own advice. I'd also start by making some sort of sense.

Rookie ERA

OH! I know why you like Mcclouth! He hit under the mendoza line last year. Forgot your (special) needs.

Hey remember when the Pirates found a good 4th/5th OFer last year in Matt Diaz who was supposed to be a good depth signing?

Different turds, same results.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

McLouth hit .228 last year with a .344 OBP. Wrong again! I already explained why I like McLouth. He's cheap and can draw a walk, something the Pirates sorely need off the bench.

Diaz was a platoon player. McLouth won't be. Try harder next time!

Rookie ERA

blah blah blah blah blah

19 losing seasons. Nate Mclouth.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Clever