Thread: Overbay DFA'd

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates Overbay DFA'd

Pirates designated 1B Lyle Overbay for assignment.
    The Bucs acquired Derrek Lee from the Orioles before Sunday's trade deadline and intend to start him at first base down the stretch. That move, of course, made Overbay expendable. The 34-year-old first baseman hit just .227/.300/.349 in 103 games with Pittsburgh.
    I could see the Angels possibly taking a chance.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Overbay DFA'd

Current last name is Overatrocious.

Clint Hurdle did say he didn't start showing something, his job was gone. Then Derrek Lee happened. Good, Overbay wasn't cutting it. Now they need to do this with Cedeno.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA

yeah... a 5 million dollar investment well worth it.

Derrek Lee just hit a home run. 1-1.

What was stopping Huntington from signing Lee in the offseason? I guess Baltimore offered WAYYYY too much.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Lee had two bombs in his debut! Lee cost more than Overbay and Diaz combined so that may be why the Bucs didn't sign him.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 08-02-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Lee had two bombs in his debut! Lee cost more than Overbay and Diaz combined so that may be why the Bucs didn't sign him.
    oh..so you're saying that the Pirates wouldnt spend the money to get Lee in?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, I said that the Pirates got two players for the cost of one injury prone player.

Rookie ERA

No, I said that the Pirates got two players for the cost of one injury prone player.
    So quantity over quality is your thing?

The Injury-prone Derrek Lee????? uhhhhhhhhhh

The same Derrek Lee who has played in at least 141 games in all but two of his FIFTEEN major league seasons (not counting his brief 1st year call-up)?

You mean the Derrek Lee who was a 2009 NL MVP candidate?

That 5 million dollars to Lyle Overbay...the guy whose average and power numbers have plummeted over the last three years? The guy who has NEVER sniffed the kind of career production as Derrek Lee? The guy who played in 28 LESS games than Derrek Lee from 2006-2010?

So...let me get this straight...You'd rather have a declining poor hitting 1st basemen and a left handed platoon player instead of somebody with a proven track record just because of a false perception that he is injury prone????

Yikes.

The Pirates front office spent money on the wrong player...... again. Overbay added nothing that sticking Garrett Jones there wouldnt have done.

"We'll be buyers this offseason" " Okay " - LTR

Hey..I remember Aki Iwumara. Do you?

The Pirates spend less than 10 million dollars on more crap...dont take any wise risks. Sounds like something that I said would happen anyways. but hey...at least they're not holding on to those crappy players like Andy Laroche and Lastings Milledge.

Matt Diaz (.268,.636 $2,000,000 in 2011) is so much better than shitty Lastings Milledge (.277,.712 $452,000 in 2010). He costs SO much less too!

Your boyfriend, Brandon Wood, (.222,.637 $420,000).... Andy laroche (.206, .555 $451,000).

Lyle Overbay (.227, .649 $5,000,000) v. Garrett Jones (.247, .720 $455,500)

SO MAGICALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No Sabu, wrong as usual. I wouldn't want have taken Overbay over Lee but can see why the Pirates filled two holes for the price of one.

The Pirates were buyers and got rid of that loser mentality like I said they should. Seems to be working doesn't it? Keep trying to make some point, I enjoy it! Where were you when the Pirates were in first place? I missed you!!

Rookie ERA

No Sabu, wrong as usual. I wouldn't want have taken Overbay over Lee but can see why the Pirates filled two holes for the price of one.

The Pirates were buyers and got rid of that loser mentality like I said they should. Seems to be working doesn't it? Keep trying to make some point, I enjoy it! Where were you when the Pirates were in first place? I missed you!!
    I figured it wasnt wise to try to say anything as you mindlessly jerked off to the Pirates beating the Astros 18 times.

If the Pirates had the finances, why not sign Lee AND Diaz? Hmm? I wonder why they wouldn't do that????!?!?!?

The Pirates were buyers? Your definition of a buyer is spending 11 million on Lyle Overbay, Matt Diaz, and Kevin Correia? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Do you remember the 2010 Pirates offseason? Here's a refresher

Ryan Church 1,500,000
    Octavio Dotel 3,250,000 (overpaid him because they're awful)
    Aki Iwamura 4,850,000 (overpaid him because they're awful)

Diaz 2,000,000
    Correia 4,000,000
    Overbay 5,000,000

I guess the Pirates got rid of their loser mentality before the 2010 season too.

I guess they got rid of their super duper loser mentality then before the beginning of this season. That could only be the case. That extra 1.5 million PROVES that.

Child, please.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes, that's why. Its not that you are a coward and now only show up when the Pirates fade back to .500. That's couldn't be it!

So you point out that the Pirates spent more than in 2010 but yet weren't buyers? Strange.

No, the Pirates still had their busts in Duke and LaRoche in 2010.

Pirates are still headed in the right direction whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Sorry I do not share your negativity.

Rookie ERA

Drinking game. How many times can LTR say "heading in the right direction" and not back it up with anything.

Magical. Magical. Magical.

YOU ARE A COWARD! !!! THE TEAM WAS IN FIRST PLACE IN JUNE!!! THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD AND I'M CALLING YOU A COWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

If you think a 3 for 3 sample difference of 1.5 million (especially factoring in that a reliever was up against a starter) is such a huge climb...wow. I think ARod uses that in toilet paper rolls lined with 50 dollar bills every month.

No, the Pirates still had their busts in Duke and LaRoche in 2010.
    i dont get the context of this.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't have to back up anything, the record says it all!

The Pirates were in first place in July by the way, not June. How many times have you been able to say that lately as a Pirates fan? Oh not since 1997? You're right, they are not headed in the right direction.

Rookie ERA

I don't have to back up anything, the record says it all!

The Pirates were in first place in July by the way, not June. How many times have you been able to say that lately as a Pirates fan? Oh not since 1997? You're right, they are not headed in the right direction.
    Do they make hats for being in first place in July? The 2006 Pirates were 37-35 in the second half. The first time they had a winning second half since 1992. Yummy.

Hey man...I still look back at the 2006 second half in awe. That finish really signaled the Pirates were heading in the right direction. Jeromy Burnitz. Craig Wilson. Amazing talents.

They followed that season up with an amazing 68 wins. Followed by 67 wins. Followed by 62 wins. Followed by 57.

We're such fools. Damnit. The Pirates were really heading in the right direction in 2006! That's when it all began! That 72 game stretch proves it!