Thread: #1 pick in the 2011 Draft is....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates #1 pick in the 2011 Draft is....

MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo has confirmed that the Pirates will draft Gerrit Cole first overall Monday night.
    The 2011 MLB Amateur Draft kicks off at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, and all signs point to Cole being the No. 1 overall pick. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound right-hander from UCLA throws a high-90s fastball that has occasionally been clocked in the triple digits. He also has a developing slider and changeup. Cole, 20, projects as a front-line major league starter and could move quickly through the Bucs' minor league system.
    Pitchers are always tricky but I think this is the right play for the Pirates. I have liked everything I've read about him and I love the fact he is not a high school pitcher. Cole is a Scott Boras guy but the Pirates have spent on the draft the past couple of years and look like they will again and for good reason.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: #1 pick in the 2011 Draft is....

They need to just bust out the cash to sign the guys, even if it's Boras. No more reach picks or drafting relievers that early...
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Trevor Bauer > Gerrit Cole

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bauer doesn't use his legs all that much and see arm and back problems in his future.

Banned
    Rookie ERA

First and foremost the Pirates have to get this done and sign him. It may be tough, but they have to pony up the cash. Next the kid has to pan out. If he doesn't all hell may be breaking loose in Buccos Nation.

Rookie ERA

Bundy is the best talent in the draft. He doesn't want to play for the Pirates without a heavy price tag.

So they take Cole.

Sounds about right for this organization. Cole's fastball is too straight line. Very hittable. We'll see if he turns it around...his mechanics arent what they were when he played for the US. The Pirates have to work on him...The Pirates havent developed a pitcher in their system who would be considered an ace on any club since ..I dont even remember when. They have had some okay pitchers, but they acquired these guys through trades or other means. The draft record for Huntington's crew is incomplete. Nobody from their minors has developed into a quality starter drafted by Huntington.

We'll see what happens. I'm glad they didn't get Rendon at this point at least.

Bundy was the sexy pick and they person they should have went for.

Banned
    Rookie ERA

Maybe Bundy will fall to the Nationals. That would be quite nice. I highly doubt it since they have the 6th pick.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Pirates selected high school outfielder Josh Bell with the first pick in the second round.
    Bell is one of the top high school hitters in the country and might have been a Top 10 pick if not for his strong desire to attend the University of Texas. The Pirates will have to seriously buck up to get him signed. A 6-foot-4 switch-hitter, Bell has excellent tools and projects as a quality major league corner outfielder.
    Hopefully for the Pirates's sake, he signs.

Rookie ERA

Personally, I would have went with Bundy and coughed up the dough to get it done.

I have a feeling that kid is going to do amazing things. ( I can start calling these guys kids, because they actually are younger than me now)
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941