Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pirates Claim Brandon Wood

Rookie ERA

Re: Pirates Claim Brandon Wood

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Smash Mouth on your Ipod?? That has to be the worst analogy I've ever heard
    didn't find that funny?

What about this?

Sabu is also wrong in that the Pirates aren't willing to spend. They have already said they will be buyers this offseason. This wasn't a thread on what the Pirates were going to do, just what I would do for starters and that's cut the terrible players that contribute nothing to help win. The scouting department has been doing very well the past few season(s) too so that isn't accurate.
    Now THIS is funny!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, wrong again. I DID find that funny!!

The Pirates did spend, cut shitty players and the scouting department has done well. Jokes on you....again!!

Rookie ERA

and now replacing Lastings Milledge on the bench your 2011 Pittsburgh Pirates present, career .236 hitter, Xavier PAUL!

Coming off the bench on you Reefer's face, introducing career .174 hitter Brandon WOOODDDDDDD!!!!

In to platoon for a hitter that probably should be given more of a chance..... Matt Diaz! Come get a .230 average for 2 million a year!

Kevin Correia has been decent so far. Four million decent? We'll see. He has an ERA of over 8 this month and is 0-2.

So your idea of "improvement" is

Matt Diaz Platoon: 2$ .230 (.260) 0HR 5RBI
    Brandon Wood: 400K .204 (.259) 0HR 6RBI
    Xavier Paul: 400K .250 (.283) 0HR 3 RBI

Correia 4 million: 3.97 (5-4, 1.25WHIP)

Total Cost: Around 7 Million

WOW! SPENDING SPREE!

How many wins did the Pirates add?: 0? 1? 2?
    Did they overspend for the services of Correia at the time (as was pointed out to be the case for any player coming to the Pirates): YES

Finally, Are these players ANY better or even outperforming the players the Pirates previously had?
    Not really, no.

Hey...I remember when the Pirates spent 4 million for Aki last year. BIG MONEY BIG MONEY!!!

Explain to me how the scouting department has done well also?

Same old Pirates.

Child please, step down.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Xavier Paul has done well for the Pirates but of course you just want to look at career numbers of guys who get rare opportunities. Whatever floats your boat, Im not dumb enough to follow.

Reefer's face?? Again with career numbers of inconsistent playing time. So glad you're not in any front office.

Matt Diaz will do better but he should not be hitting cleanup like Hurdle has been.

Correia was overpaid and I said he was when he was signed.

The improvement is easy to see. They have been .500 later than they have since in a few years and are playing better as a team than last year.

To answer your question, Yes!

Explain to me how the scouting department hasn't done well? I look around the Pirates roster and farm and see clear answers as to how they have done well.

Banned
    Rookie ERA

The sad thing about the Pirates is they seem like a bunch that are trying to do better, but the front office keeps on screwing it up severely.

Rookie ERA

A farm system that still ranks near the bottom of the league despite consistently high draft picks.

Still waiting for you to explain to me how those players have improved the team. All you seem to be doing is defending shit and generalizing.

What do you see on the Pirates roster?
    What do you see in the Pirates farm?

Banned
    Rookie ERA

I have to agree the farm system sucks for the Pirates , but that has as much to do with the coaches that are attempting to develop the players and also the front office and GM who continually have no clue on how to scout players. The roster the team has now does have a few good players including a star in McCutcheon. Players like Walker, G. Jones, and Doumit have potential on offense. As for the pitching Joel Hanrahan has been amazing. Charlie Morton has been really good and I think the young closer for the future in Meek will be great.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

WOW! You really don't pay attention to your own farm system. Pirates farm is middle of the road and top 10 amongst pitching prospects.

The team is playing better than in years past. Look at the record so far. Look at how the players are doing better than what was there last year. You claim I am not explaining anything while I can say you are doing the same.

I see McCutchen, Walker, Alvarez and Jones on the MLB roster.
    I see Taillon, Marte, Allie, Sanchez and Heredia in the farm.

Either way you slice it, the Pirates are going in the right direction. Care to keep going?

Banned
    Rookie ERA

I agree they are going in the right direction, but what really puzzles me is when they throw in a claim on Brandon Wood who has been one of the worst hitter in recent time.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    I agree they are going in the right direction, but what really puzzles me is when they throw in a claim on Brandon Wood who has been one of the worst hitter in recent time.
    Two words, Ronny Cedeno. No harm taking a flier on Wood.

Banned
    Rookie ERA

I know he had a huge upside when he came up, but it never happened. I guess if any team could take a flier on him the Pirates can.

Rookie ERA

WOW! You really don't pay attention to your own farm system. Pirates farm is middle of the road and top 10 amongst pitching prospects.

The team is playing better than in years past. Look at the record so far. Look at how the players are doing better than what was there last year. You claim I am not explaining anything while I can say you are doing the same.

I see McCutchen, Walker, Alvarez and Jones on the MLB roster.
    I see Taillon, Marte, Allie, Sanchez and Heredia in the farm.

Either way you slice it, the Pirates are going in the right direction. Care to keep going?
    Baseball America ranked the system 19th, other sites have them around 23rd. Compared to some of the other teams with similar low draft position in years past, it is ridiculously low. Especially considering how the Pirates traded 7 of 8 opening day starters for prospects a couple years ago. Included were a batting champion, all-star, and gold glover.

Tailion looks promising. If the Pirates have an elite prospect, he'd be it. Who else do they have besides their first round picks and a few guys they signed? Nothing that has yet to make an impact.

Of the players you listed..
    On the major league roster.
    Jones is 29. Although he is a decent player, he seems destined for the platoon role.
    Walker was a Dave Littlefield draft pick.
    Mccutchen was a Dave Littlefield draft pick.
    Alvarez, the only draft pick of Huntington you mentioned on the ML roster, is almost hitting below .200 (you seem fascinated by these players), has various holes in his swing, and because of the organizations willingness to bring him up too early to save jobs, they MAY have ruined him forever.

So of the players you mentioned, one is a platoon player, one is struggling majorly, and two aren't even from this regime that is "moving the bucs in the right direction." (By the way, the Bucs are what Pirates fans call the Pirates.)

Did I mention Walker felt new management was holding "Littlefield" players back? Treating them as inferior?
    Pirates' former top pick Neil Walker questioning his future

This organization sure knows what they're doing.

Luckily, Walker took it upon himself to play the game on his own accord.
    Andy Laroche the piss poor has been prospect of the Dodgers. Guess who brought him in? Huntington. You think he knows what he's doing? He traded Jose Bautista for a minor league scrub to make room for Laroche.

Bautista was producing at a level and was at an age to not consider being traded.

None of this matters anyways. The owners wont spend money on this team even if they by the grace of god build a team that can compete.

To say this management group has gotten the most out of what they've gotten is laughable. If you'd like a nice little rundown, just on the trades they made...sure.

Going forward, I don't see this team competing with this management that has left a history of blunders that smash any of the good moves they do make.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According the only real person I trust, John Sickels, has the Pirates rated as 18th with top 10 arms. Yes, as a team that gets a lot of top picks that is low but it is going in the right direction and has been trending upward over the paste couple of seasons. The Pirates got Charlie Morton, Jeff Locke, and Gorkys Hernandez for Nate McLouth, that AS/GG, which was and still is a steal. The Pirates got Tim Alderson for the batting champ Freddy Sanchez and Alderson is doing very well now after switching to reliever.

Unless the Pirates totally revamped the scouting department when changing GM's, I might see your point but I seriously doubt they did. The GM is not the entire scouting department. The Pirates have poured more money into scouting which is another example of moving in the right direction.

Tallion looks promising as does Tony Sanchez, Starling Marte and Stetson Allie. None of them have made an impact yet as they are prospects.

I seriously doubt Neil Walker will be questioning his future after he's locked up and gets paid after this season. Same goes for McCutchen.

Jose Bautista of the Pirates is not the same player he is with the Blue Jays. The Blue Jays reworked his swing and now its paying off two years after he was traded.

I like the way this team looks going forward but if you want to be a negative nancy, go right ahead. I will not be joining you and neither will a lot of Pirates fans I have talked to on other sites.

Banned
    Rookie ERA

According the only real person I trust, John Sickels, has the Pirates rated as 18th with top 10 arms. Yes, as a team that gets a lot of top picks that is low but it is going in the right direction and has been trending upward over the paste couple of seasons. The Pirates got Charlie Morton, Jeff Locke, and Gorkys Hernandez for Nate McLouth, that AS/GG, which was and still is a steal. The Pirates got Tim Alderson for the batting champ Freddy Sanchez and Alderson is doing very well now after switching to reliever.

Unless the Pirates totally revamped the scouting department when changing GM's, I might see your point but I seriously doubt they did. The GM is not the entire scouting department. The Pirates have poured more money into scouting which is another example of moving in the right direction.

Tallion looks promising as does Tony Sanchez, Starling Marte and Stetson Allie. None of them have made an impact yet as they are prospects.

I seriously doubt Neil Walker will be questioning his future after he's locked up and gets paid after this season. Same goes for McCutchen.

Jose Bautista of the Pirates is not the same player he is with the Blue Jays. The Blue Jays reworked his swing and now its paying off two years after he was traded.

I like the way this team looks going forward but if you want to be a negative nancy, go right ahead. I will not be joining you and neither will a lot of Pirates fans I have talked to on other sites.
    This is true, the Bluejays hitting coaches along with Bautista worked on his stance and he has a much more prominent leg kick which has given him much more torque through the zone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123