Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If I were the Pirates GM...

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: If I were the Pirates GM...

Solid rant, Sabu. And I'm not saying that because I find it to be a source of entertainment in the same way most members here view my cynical gameday thread commentary, but rather, if I were a Pirates fan, that's exactly how I'd feel.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 12-07-2010 at 03:13 AM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hey, when you have the chance to sign a 5.36 ERA at PetCo for 4 mill a year, you gotta do it.

I imagine pirate fans really don't want to see the continued signing of Major League crap, but now they have Olsen and Correia to look forward to. Tony Womack, anyone?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Sabu88 View Post
    Appreciate the list, but I stopped when I saw Magglio Ordonez. Nice try.
    You bust my balls forever for a list although I said I wouldn't have one done til the free agent market was clear and then you don't even read it past a RFer who is looking for a one year deal to get his career back on track? I love it!!

Sorry to see Huntington get Olsen and then give $4 million/season to Correia for no apparent reason. I had Correia on my list but couldn't even fathom him making more than $2 million TOPS! The Pirates aren't done but *******, Padilla is about to sign with the Dodgers for half of what Correia is making

The reason why they had to give Correia so much is because nobody wants to go to the Pirates, so all the guys that sign for cheap with teams like Atlanta, New York, Oakland, St. Louis, etc, would have to make 2X as much to sign with the Pirates....I think that's the point that Sabu's making, and even if it isn't, that's my point.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I know all about overpaying for players to come play for you. We did it with Zito and Rowand. I just don't see your point on Correia. What was the rush to sign him to a contract like that?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates sign Matt Diaz to a two year, $4.25 million deal and will most likely platoon with Garrett Jones in RF. Finally, a smart move by Huntington. Correia's contract looks even more baffling to me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates selected INF Josh Rodriguez with the No. 1 pick in the Rule 5 Draft.
    Rodriguez, who turns 26 later this month, batted .297/.378/.484 with 13 home runs and 57 RBI over 380 at-bats between Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus this past season. While he is primarily a shortstop, he is also capable of playing second base, third base and the outfield. He has a chance of sticking as a utilityman.
    Not a bad pickup for the top pick in the draft. Looks like he could be a solid utility man. It will be hard to do worse than Young.

In other news:
    Pirates acquired RHP Cesar Valdez from the Diamondbacks to complete the Zach Duke trade.
    Valdez, who turns 26 next March, compiled a 7.65 ERA and 13/10 K/BB ratio over 20 innings with the Diamondbacks this past season. Though seven of his nine appearances with the big club was as a reliever, he was primarily a starting pitcher in the minor leagues. He was once viewed as a top prospect in the organization, but his stock has dropped considerably.

The Pirates seem to be close to a deal for Kawakami, tweets Biertempfel. He says money is one issue, as is the possibility of the Pirates moving Paul Maholm.
    Gross! Kawakami and his horrible contract should not even be on the radar. ******* Huntington!! How do you go from doing the smart thing to doing the absolute dumbest thing possible in a matter of weeks? At least Olsen is only guaranteed $500k on his new deal.

Rookie ERA

Reefer. All of your questions can be answered with one statement.

It's the Pirates.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    The reason why they had to give Correia so much is because nobody wants to go to the Pirates, so all the guys that sign for cheap with teams like Atlanta, New York, Oakland, St. Louis, etc, would have to make 2X as much to sign with the Pirates....I think that's the point that Sabu's making, and even if it isn't, that's my point.
    Indeed it is part of it .

A) The player would provide a substantial upgrade at the position that would enable the team to win more games
    B) The player would sign a cheaper contract than that of the player receiving arbitration

C) The talented player would sign with the Pirates

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234