Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If I were the Pirates GM...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: If I were the Pirates GM...

I don't recall ever calling him an idiot unless called one first. I do know how to you're and your properly. Is that all you have because your thoughts were pretty much the same as mine.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    Replacing those "horrible, god awful players" with somebody marginally less shitty and [probably] more expensive will do nothing to better this ballclub. Sure, they'll get maybe 5-10 more wins in a season, but that's a drop in the ocean for an organization that is famous for being a smoldering pile of shit.
    Its a start and in the right direction. No one ever suggested an immediate turn around to contender. Baby steps gentlemen!! Its better than paying people that costs you ballgames.

I know you're not an idiot, and I understand that you're aware of the fact that they will continue to suck ass. But my approach to the problem (and, from what I gather, Sabu's) would revolve around building a viable minor league system which can produce ML-quality starters, then once those starters can occupy at least half of the lineup and rotation/pen, building around that. Progress for progress' sake must be discouraged.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    I know you're not an idiot, and I understand that you're aware of the fact that they will continue to suck ass. But my approach to the problem (and, from what I gather, Sabu's) would revolve around building a viable minor league system which can produce ML-quality starters, then once those starters can occupy at least half of the lineup and rotation/pen, building around that. Progress for progress' sake must be discouraged.
    And have I ever said different? Of course they should build the farm and the Pirates have been doing so over the past few seasons as I pointed out. All I said was stop paying players that do nothing to help you win ballgames and those players are now gone. That's a good first step and is making progress. Progress should never be discouraged. Spending money wisely has been the underlined theme the entire time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabu88
    Show me some free agents the Pirates could sign that would add any wins to the club while still being affordable?
    Whom do you replace those "players that do nothing to help you win ballgames" with?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

As I have said repeatedly throughout this thread, when the free agent market becomes more clear I will have a better idea as will the Pirates. We still have to see who will be offered arbitration and who will not. I cannot fathom why you guys think it is going to be hard to find better players than LaRoche, Young, Duke and Karstens, let alone call it "magic".

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And one thing that pissed me off that I failed to address, don't ****ing say I don't give two shits about the Pirates. You've known me for a while and you know I care about every team in baseball. I am tired of hearing that the Pirates have the longest losing streak in all of professional sports. Its not good for baseball which is my one true passion so yes, I gave two shits or else I wouldn't have wrote the article.

Maybe me saying that I was proven right aren't exactly the right words but when I get ridiculed, mocked and told that I know nothing of what I am talking about and the Pirates do exactly what I suggested, I find peace in that. I was definitely more right than those who have opposed me.

And not once did I call Sabu an idiot. I don't recall any name calling on either end. Didn't result in calling out typos either
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 11-28-2010 at 09:26 PM.

You're ****ing clueless man!!
    OK, not idiot. This whole argument is centered around the fact that neither I nor Sabu believe that Pirates will be able to attract worthwhile players to replace the likes of Duke, Young, and LaRoche whereas you do, which is totally fine...difference of opinion, etc.

Also, don't ever forget that you are my only one, LTR <3

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Well he said basically the same thing about me so I guess we're even on that. You're right, its all a difference of opinion and I do think the Pirates can get better players than those mentioned and spend their money more wisely. They got Dotel after a good year so it is possible to lure in good players (please don't try and say I am suggesting the Pirates to sign another Dotel, simply giving an example). Never in a million years would I have thought my innocent little article about what I as GM would do after finding a manager (which I thought they hit a homerun on) would turn into this but the "unrealistic" became a reality

I love you too. You know this as you feel it everyday when you wake up.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 11-28-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Andy LaRoche goes unclaimed on waivers and becomes a free agent

If you're too shitty for even the Pirates..
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 11-30-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: removed the link

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

As GM, I definitely wouldn't have done this:
    Pirates and RHP Jeff Karstens avoided arbitration Thursday by agreeing to a one-year, $1.1 million contract.
    Karstens gets a nice little raise from the $475,000 that he hauled in during the 2010 season. He finished with a pedestrian 4.92 ERA and 1.41 WHIP over 26 appearances.
    The Pirates have also signed Cedeno to a one year deal worth $2 million with an option. Weird because they were rumored to be after Jason Bartlett but that deal could still be done. Pirates non-tendered Milledge, Burres, Donnie Veal and Argenis Diaz and signed Andy Marte, Dusty Brown and Fernando Nieve to minor league deals. They get rid of one bust (LaRoche) and get another one in Marte but at least Marte isn't guaranteed anything.

Rookie ERA

Pirates are blowing the doors down of free agency this year.

I can't wait until they make a late bid on someone who kind of was good but had his labrum explode. The overspending will be lovely. The results will be terrible. The PR campaign around this player hilarious.

But let's wait for the dust to settle so reefer can formulate his list from players other teams didn't want.

I expected nothing less. I'm conflicted here. I didn't want them to spend on bullshit but I'm really upset that they proved me right.

At least Littlefield occasionally brought in players who did a decent job of things for a bit. Jeff Damico. Jeff Suppan. Reggie Sanders. Kenny Lofton. Matt Stairs.

Guffaw. I'm praising Dave Littlefield. Jesus christ.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Sabu88 View Post

I expected nothing less. I'm conflicted here. I didn't want them to spend on bullshit but I'm really upset that they proved me right.
    They haven't spent any yet unless by bullshit you mean Cedeno and Karstens.

And just because someone was non-tendered doesn't necessarily mean a team didn't want someone but couldn't afford them. I'll give you someone the Pirates should consider bringing back and that's D.J. Carrasco.

Here's some encouraging news:
    The Pirates have had "ongoing discussions with multiple free-agent starters, and would be pleased to sign more than one starting pitcher to compete for a spot in the rotation," president Frank Coonelly told fans in a chat on MLB.com. The team made Jorge de la Rosa an offer and is also open to upgrading in right field, at first base or at short.
    I'm very glad the Pirates didn't win the de la Rosa sweepstakes. Here's one guy they should definitely be eying for the Rule 5 draft:
    Aneury Rodriguez has posted a 1.22 ERA and 33/9 K/BB ratio over 37 innings this offseason in the Dominican Winter League.
    Rodriguez, 22, is eligible for next week's Rule 5 Draft and is likely to be one of the first players off the board. He finished with a 3.71 ERA and 1.33 WHIP over 123 2/3 total innings in the minor leagues this past year, with 113 2/3 of those innings coming at the Triple-A level.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 12-03-2010 at 01:03 PM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Here's your list of players I would target and none will break the bank. Some have already been mentioned in Pirate rumors and these are in no particular order:
    Magglio Ordonez
    Chris Young
    Jeff Francis
    Brandon Webb
    Rich Harden
    Vincent Padilla
    Justin Duchsherer
    Brandon McCarthy
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Jack Cust
    Matt Diaz
    Kevin Correia
    Lyle Overbay
    Aaron Heilman
    Melvin Mora
    Joe Crede
    Brad Penny
    DJ Carrasco
    Taylor Buchholz
    Mike MacDougal
    Joel Peralta
    Will Ohman
    Dennys Reyes
    George Sherrill
    Chad Durbin

Trade candidates: Jason Bartlett and Josh Willingham.
    Let the ridiculing begin.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 12-07-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added mccarthy

Rookie ERA

Appreciate the list, but I stopped when I saw Magglio Ordonez. Nice try.

The Pirates signed scott olsen. Coming off shoulder surgery two years ago. A worse career ERA than Zach Duke. A man who was released by the Washington ****ing Nationals. A man who is no stranger to multiple controversies and legal problems.

The surprising part about it is they DIDNT overpay. Sounds like a quality addition... a complete prick to a losing clubhouse. I'm sure this will all work out just fine. Breaking the doors down here.

Looks like I guessed correctly in the "guess the injury" game

Let me put this another way.. of the 84 southpaws under 28 years of age who threw the ball at the major league level in 2010, only 13 players were worse than Zach Duke’s 16.20 ERA with runners in scoring position and Scott Olsen was one of those. In fact, his 19.59 ERA was third-to-last in all MLB (right or left handers) for pitchers with 15 or more innings of work with men in scoring position. Only Charlie Morton’s 19.99 ERA and John Ely’s 23.21 were worse.
    lol.

What an upgrade!

The Pirates did manage to pay 8 million over 2 years to Kevin Correia. Huge breakdown candiate and a ridiculous amount of money for someone who had one decent season. He actually lost his spot in the starting rotation at the end of the season for the Padres too. A turd has been polished. Same old Pirates.

, ZiPS projects that Correia will have an 83 ERA+ this year, which is horrible. Bringing in someone like this on a $1 million deal is fine, but I think two years and $8 million is excessive.
    Last edited by Sabu88; 12-07-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Adding more info

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast