Thread: Rookie Zach Duke with strong debut at home

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Rookie Zach Duke with strong debut at home

Duke zips through Phillies for seven zeroes in home debut
    Friday, July 08, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If Pittsburghers wanted to see what makes Zach Duke special, what has compelled the Pirates' management to rave about him like no other pitching prospect in a decade, the wait was blissfully short.

First home game, first home gem.

In his PNC Park debut, Duke delivered seven scoreless innings in his team's 2-1 victory against the Philadelphia Phillies last night, striking out eight while scattering six hits and walking one.

His manager and teammates, already effusive after a solid major-league debut Saturday in Milwaukee, ratcheted up the praise in correlation with his performance.

"I'm impressed with everything about him," manager Lloyd McClendon said. "I'm a little bubbly, actually, because ... this kid has some great makeup, and he's got the stuff to go with it. That's a pretty darned good combination. That's something to be excited about."

"He's got great poise, man," catcher Humberto Cota said. "It's unbelievable to see a 22-year-old kid out there doing that."

When Duke walked off the field after escaping a jam in the seventh, the crowd of 20,942 gave him a standing ovation, many of them chanting, "Duuuuuuuuuuuuke."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05189/534898.stm

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Duke and Perez could be a good 1-2 punch. Should be interesting to see how this young stud turns out. Very nice home debute though!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad he's pitching well, like I've said many times, I never was high on him as a spect, but he's proving me wrong nicely.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    He showed trmendous poise when outdueling Brett Myers. I think he'll slow down a bit when hitters pick up on his stuff. Even though the sample is much smaller, his MLB K/9 is a considerable amount higher than the one he posted in AAA (while he had a pretty nifty 2.9 some ERA at that.) But at 22 he has shown tremendous poise and should be a quality asset to the Pirates rotation for quite some time.