Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pirates Trade Adam LaRoche to Boston

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Pirates Trade Adam LaRoche to Boston

Wanted to get a comment in on the Morgan trade...

As awful as Milledge was earlier this season, he did hit .299 with 9 HRs and 11 SBs in the second half last year. Nyjer's OPS of .707 in left field...obviously not what we want from a power position, and he wasn't going to play center in Pittsburgh unless McCutchen got hurt, anyway.

I was personally pretty excited about the deal. Hanrahan was a servicable closer last season with a great arm, and Burnett didn't really put anything together until this season, and who knows if that'll last(He's a pitcher we drafted, they rarely pan out.)

I'm still happy, Morgan is off to a good start in Washington, but I think Lastings will be just as good, if not better down the stretch.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    Wanted to get a comment in on the Morgan trade...

As awful as Milledge was earlier this season, he did hit .299 with 9 HRs and 11 SBs in the second half last year. Nyjer's OPS of .707 in left field...obviously not what we want from a power position, and he wasn't going to play center in Pittsburgh unless McCutchen got hurt, anyway.

I was personally pretty excited about the deal. Hanrahan was a servicable closer last season with a great arm, and Burnett didn't really put anything together until this season, and who knows if that'll last(He's a pitcher we drafted, they rarely pan out.)

I'm still happy, Morgan is off to a good start in Washington, but I think Lastings will be just as good, if not better down the stretch.
    Hanrahan had a 3.95 ERA last year, and blew 4 out of 13 save opportunities. He throws hard, but he was far from a serviceable closer, his numbers were closer to a 6th or 7th inning man. He could very well improve, but it's not like he's a sure thing, he was awful with an ERA over 6 both in 2007 and the first half of 2009, surrounding his "decent at best" season in 2008.

Milledge has been far from awful, but he's also never really shown any improvement since breaking in with the Mets. His OBP and SLG both jumped a bit from his first half season into his first full MLB season(where he still only had 180 something AB's). But, since playing full time, he's got below average HR and RBI totals for a corner OF, an alright OBP, and a decent SLG...but his OPS+ (even taking out this season) is only a 91....below average. He doesn't walk, he isn't a spectacular fielder, and he doesn't have outstanding power. He's got to show signs of improvement before I think he'll be any more than the second coming of Jay Payton.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The difference is, Nyjer Morgan will never become Rickey Henderson either, we got 5-6 years younger, getting a guy with a bunch more talent, but half the attitude and drive.

I'll take my chances that it lights a fire under him.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    The difference is, Nyjer Morgan will never become Rickey Henderson either, we got 5-6 years younger, getting a guy with a bunch more talent, but half the attitude and drive.

I'll take my chances that it lights a fire under him.
    Fair point. We'll see how it turns out. Like I said, I'm by no means saying Milledge is terrible, or that he'll never be useful....just that he needs to show some signs of attitude and drive. I haven't seen it yet, but if it develops, yes, he'll be a good player. I'm just not sure it will ever develop with him.

Adam LaRoche is the human wind mill. Good trade for the Pirates, disregard NYGF, he hasn't been taking his meds.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12