Thread: Pedro Alvarez

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates Pedro Alvarez

2008 first-rounder Pedro Alvarez shined in his minor league debut Thursday, going 3-for-4 with a homer, a double and four RBI for Single-A Lynchburg.
    Alvarez was impressive enough this spring to justify an assignment to Double-A to begin his pro career. The Pirates held off initially, but they shouldn't leave him in the Carolina League too long if he dominates.
    Great debut for the top prospect for the Pirates With LaRoche looking like Edward Scissorhands at third, fans should be happy to know help is on the way in a year or two.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Pedro Alvarez

Pedro Alvarez is the kind of prospect that if all goes well, he should burn through the system, quick. Big potential.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Biggest problem with Pedro is that he's probably unlikely to stay at 3B in the majors. He's probably best suited for 1B or LF(...maybe).

Figure a "long term" lineup of...

CA Doumit
    1B Alvarez
    2B Ford
    SS Bixler? Prospect from trade? FA? Wouldn't surprise me if Jack is resigned at a reduced rate next year, either.
    3B LaRoche (The D problems are just early season jitters, he'll be fine there if his bat can work. Freddy would be a possibility here, as well.)
    LF McLouth
    CF McCutchen
    RF Tabata/Moss/Pearce/Morgan(LF)/Whoever pans out

Doesn't look to shabby at all too me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Now if they could get the pitchers to produce back to back seasons of good baseball, they would be set. That's what frustrates me the most about the Pirates. They have good quality arms but can't keep it up for two seasons in a row.