Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was cutting Matt Morris loose a good decision?

MLB ERA

Was cutting Matt Morris loose a good decision?

I know Matt Morris did horrible the first month of the season, but I don't think realsing him was the best move. If he couldn't cut it in the rotation, then why not try him in the bullpen before giving up on him. Matt Morris is a competitor and a team leader. Those characteristics are valuable to a team. He could help those young pitchers, and mentor them. I think trading for him was a huge mistake, but giving up on him after a month of 2008 is antoehr bad decision. What do you guys think?

MLB ERA

Re: Was cutting Matt Morris lose a good decision?

I'm thinkin' you been drinkin'.

MLB ERA

Re: Was cutting Matt Morris lose a good decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I'm thinkin' you been drinkin'.

got me lol

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Was cutting Matt Morris loose a good decision?

Morris was horrible and not getting any better and gave them no better chance to win that the next guy.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Morris was not helping that young rotation. The Pirates really need to look to the future right now and Morris was blocking that view.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think you mean the Pirates, not Giants.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Yes I do. I was responding to your post and had Giants on my brain.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Morris was horrible and not getting any better and gave them no better chance to win that the next guy.
    Are the Pirates winning without Morris? How much are Salas with his 6.75 ere, Burnett with his 9.39 era helping the Pirates win? Morris may have not done any better in the bullpen, but he wasn't even given a shot. When you are paying a guy a guaranteed 10Mil, I think you should look at every possibility before cutting him loose, unless you are a playoff contender.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    Are the Pirates winning without Morris? How much are Salas with his 6.75 ere, Burnett with his 9.39 era helping the Pirates win? Morris may have not done any better in the bullpen, but he wasn't even given a shot. When you are paying a guy a guaranteed 10Mil, I think you should look at every possibility before cutting him loose, unless you are a playoff contender.
    You may be right about that, but the Pirates have sucked for such a long time I really think they needed to shake things up a bit and go in a different direction. As for eating the huge salary you are right about that. The Pirates seemed to be pretty damn quick to just releasing him without exhausting their other options with him. That is a lot of cash to eat.

MLB ERA

Yep, I really don't understand why they would pass on Matt Wieters in the draft last year, but then trade for Morris' $10 Mil contract. Wieters signed with Baltimore for a $6Mil bonus, and is a much better investment than the aging Morris. Morris has been on the decline ever since he left the Cardinals a few years ago, that's why they didn't try to resign him. The Pirates front office moves are so confusing. Why does a last place team trade for any player making as much as Morris, but refuse to pay a big bonus to a top prospect that could be their franchise for years to come?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I know Dumatrait(Morris' rotation replacement) has been okay/good(1-2, 4.15 ERA, 1.42 WHIP), but I would've prefered sitting on Morris for a little bit longer. With Matt's injury history, he could've just as easily tore up his arm again, and insurance could've covered his contract.

Still, acquiring Morris wasn't that bad, as Rajai Davis wasn't anywhere near our plans and having a vet in the rotation normally isn't a bad thing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, the answer to your first question is yes!!! The Pirates are only two games under .500 and Morris would have only hurt. You picking two pitcher's to help make your case doesn;t change the fact the Pirates are winning. Morris was washed up and just not effective. Sometimes you have to cut your losses which the Pirates did. This new GM was not the one that traded for Morris so why keep another person's mistake. It was a good move!

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    Still, acquiring Morris wasn't that bad, as Rajai Davis wasn't anywhere near our plans and having a vet in the rotation normally isn't a bad thing.
    Matt Morris was washed up when the trade was made, and the Pirates took on the entire $10Mil contract. That is what I think makes it bad. I have no idea how a team could sign Morris for $10Mil like the Giants did. I really don't understand how the Pirates GM could take the Giants big mistake off their hands for them. Although, I do agree that having a vet normally isn't a bad thing. That's why I think it would have made sense to keep him in the bullpen. Morris is a leader, and could have been a good influence to the younger Pirate pitchers. Afterall, they are still paying him. Why not use his experience and leadership to their advantage.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Because it is no advantage. His 87 mph fastball out of the bullpen helps no one. The Pirates did not want to use up a roster spot on an aged veteran who has nothing left to help this team win. Cut the losses from the old GM and start fresh. Get someone young who can help the future of the Pirates on the roster rather than someone dragging it down. No one wanted to trade for him so they cut him and have been winning since.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, the answer to your first question is yes!!! The Pirates are only two games under .500 and Morris would have only hurt.
    So having a losing record is considered winning? Thanks for the clarification bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast