Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Matt?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates Bye Bye Matt?

Team president Frank Coonelly said Tuesday that the Pirates would consider buying out the contract of an underperforming veteran, but added that the team is not focused on potentially doing that with Matt Morris.
    Morris is making slightly over $10 million this season and will be owed a $1 million buyout if the team doesn't exercise its option on him for 2009. "He is not pitching up to his standards or our expectations, but he is still working very hard ... to regain his effectiveness," Coonelly said. "We are working equally hard to make him an effective member of our staff and have not given up on him."
    Its bad enough they traded for him while taking on his entire salary but now they are just going to pay him to leave? Its not clear if they will buyout his contract this year or just buyout the option. If its just the option, $1 mil is not that big of a deal.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Bye Bye Matt?

Morris is not making a very good case for himself. He was shelled by the Phillies again tonight. He only lasted 1.2 innings tonight.

OUCH!!!!

MLB ERA

I like Matt, but he hasn't been the same pitcher for years. I don't know why anyone would think he is worth such a big contract anyways.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Well. pitching is such a commodity these days, I guess he was worth the gamble. Maybe a trip to the 15-day DL and just rest his arm would do him some good. Then again, maybe he is just done and needs to retire.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates released RHP Matt Morris.
    Not a surprise, but still a tough blow for the Pirates who are going to have to write him an $11 million check. He was 0-4 with a 9.67 ERA in five starts this year. "Matt Morris has been a true professional," said manager John Russell. "He's had a great career. He wanted to help us win, and it just wasn't happening." Phil Dumatrait is going to take his spot in the rotation.
    Matt Morris just made an easy $11 mil. This move had to be done though as he wasn't helping this team but hurting it. I can see a couple of teams taking a chance but coud also see early retirement.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I heard that, and yes OUCH on the ol' Pirates payroll there.

MLB ERA

As far as pitching goes, I do think he is done. He has been going downhill for awhile. I think he is a great leader for a clubhouse though.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

maybe someone will hire him to be their ptching coach

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hopefully not for a while.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Someone will pick him up before season's end. At least help them out in the bullpen.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    Someone will pick him up before season's end. At least help them out in the bullpen.
    Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that the Pirates didn't keep him for the bullpen since they are paying him anyways. I hope the Cards pick him up for sentimental sake if nothing else. He was a big part of the team for many years, and is still loved by Cardinal fans. I don't mean pay him millions to start though. lol I don't know if there is room for him on the team, but it would be nice if none the less.

MLB ERA

Sometimes there is addition by subtraction. Morris isnt going to get much better at this point in the career. Its all sunk cost its more a question of whether having Morris playing at this time is better than to give that spot to someone else is better. The Pirates decided it better to just go with someone else on that roster spot.

The fact that Pittsburgh actually traded FOR him shows they wont ever get anywhere. Every measurable on Morris was going the wrong way in SF and its not like the Pirates are anywhere close to competing. Just a shame such incompetance is the norm for a good sports town.

Only saving grace is the fact Rajai Davis flopped in SF.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Davis didn't flop, Giants GM is just an idiot! Davis hit .282 with 17 steals last year for the Giants. There is no saving grace when you eat $10 mil.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

that is a lot of wasted rotten cabbage.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Matt called it a career the other day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast