Thread: What would be worth trading for Jason Bay?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What would be worth trading for Jason Bay?

I know Nady, Wilson, and a few others are trade bait as well as Jason Bay. So what's Bay's value? He's off to a slow start thus far and had a rough 2007 but

3 seasons before, he
    Hits between .280-.300
    Averages 31 homeruns
    Averages 97 rbis
    And that's with an iffy supporting cast. He's stole over 20 bases before, been an allstar, drew over 100 walks in one season and showed the ability to improve his plate discipline by going from 41 walks in 2004 to 95 the next season.

Unfortunately, the discipline went back to ground zero basically. I went to a pirates game last year, against the reds, and he looked pretty good but that was around the middle of the season. Right now he has 6 walks to 3 strikeouts, even though he's not hitting.

So what can the pirates expect for him, or even get for him, even though supposedly there was very little market for him in the offseason? I believe when they dealt Brian Giles, they got Bay and Ollie Perez. Which at the time, was a very nice package and both players have had their successes and failures but so has Giles, maybe fewer successes than Leo would like but.. will they drive for a similar deal? A couple of young but ready and capable major league starters or AA types to restock the farm?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: What would be worth trading for Jason Bay?

If he's traded this year, I'm guessing we'd askfor 2 strong prospects. Bay is signed cheaply(I believe around five mill) for another season, and, if he's over his knee problems which killed his stats and defense last year, he's a strong bet to return to his prev-3 averages.

Now, next year is a whole different story. Plus, with the a new GM, we'll porbably end up trading him for Kelly Stoppach, like was rumored in the offseason.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Pirates would have to be blown away by a deal because as Wilton mentioned Bay is really cheap considering the market. The Pirates are already discussing trading LaRoche so we might have to wait and see what comes of that. I think the Pirates should try and get a MLB ready position player and a stud reliever. I think the Pirates have good young starters. I could be wrong though.

edit: Nady's trade could dictate what happens too.

Rookie ERA

It will be a great day when they unload LaRoche, what a bum.