Thread: Pirates acquire Yates from Braves

Pirates Pirates acquire Yates from Braves

In a move to help solidify their bullpen, the Pirates traded for right-handed pitcher Tyler Yates from the Braves on Wednesday for Minor League pitcher Todd Redmond.

Pittsburgh general manager Neal Huntington said he expects Yates to play an important part in the Pirates bullpen this year after making a career-high 75 appearances with the Braves in 2007. He went 2-3 with two saves and a 5.18 ERA in 66 innings pitched and has a fastball clocked in the mid-90s.

"He pitched in the back end of the Braves bullpen last year," Huntington said. "Tyler is a guy with some power stuff. He makes a nice complement to our bullpen."

Yates, a former teammate of Pirates first baseman Adam LaRoche in Atlanta, made his Major League debut with the New York Mets in 2004 and posted a 2-4 record in 21 appearances, including seven starts.

The 30-year-old has made 152 career big league appearances, compiling a 6-12 record and three saves.

Redmond, Pittsburgh's 39th-round selection in the 2004 Draft, went 8-13 with a 4.38 ERA in 28 combined starts for Lynchburg (A) and Altoona (AA) in 2007.

Redmond was expected to be in Altoona's starting rotation this year.
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Pirates acquire Yates from Braves

Thoughts?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Pirates acquire Yates from Braves

Former Met great Tyler Yates!

He's got decent stuff but will never be that good.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'm not a big Redmond fan, high control pitcher-not alot of stuff, so I can't be majorly angry with this deal.

Yates takes the bullpen spot that was thought to go to Byung Hung Kim.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't see how this could hurt really.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I could see Yates turning out to be as inconsistant as he was with Atlanta, getting cut, and Redmond making it as a back off the rotation starter/middle reliever.

Still, that's nothing that's going to kill us.

MLB ERA

I knew someone was going to be traded. The Braves just had too many players who were out of options.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."