Thread: Why?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Why?

This is for you Wilton since you are about the only Pirates fan. A Pittsbrugh journalist recently wrote that Bay could possibly be traded. Why? Some people have grown boners over the possibility and just wanted to get your input. The guy makes points about Bay having the most trade value but after a down year and another possible knee surgery I don't see it being as high as he thinks. You free up money to give to Morris but don't see any reason to trade your best player and only star. Thoughts?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Why?

Same reason we moved Giles, Schmidt and every other guy we've had with value. We're not going to win now, so let's delay winning with a couple guys that are ready down the road. It hasn't worked in either case, thus far. But with McCutchen and Wilson coming up, this may be the time to trade the star outfielder for a couple solid talents. I mean, that's what they're thinking anyway, will it work? Probably not. I hasn't before, it probably won't now.

As for Morris, I never really commented on the deal. I never was big on Rajai, so it really meant little to me. A veteran guy coming in to tutor Duke and Gorzelanny is hardly a bad thing, and CF was covered nicely anyway. I know that's a waste of cash, but, it's expected at this point(Jeremy Burnitz, ect.)

Letting Tracy go today was the first step, we need a young, energetic manager in here that will teach kids how to play, not worthless veterans.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Good input Wilton. The Giles, Schmidt trades were deadline deals correct? I don't know. Building a team around guys like Sanchez and LaRoche doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Building around Bay does. Just how long can you keep having rebuilding years?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

We've done it for 15 years, what's another 5 more?

And I highly doubt we're building around LaRoche and Sanchez, they're probably just complimentary talent. Our "future superstars" just aren't in the majors yet.

Remember, Bay is 29. By the time all the talent we have in the minors is ready, he'll probably be gone to free agency anyway, and such a long term committment probably wouldn't be worth it anyway(that he would deserve, and get on the open market.)