Thread: Grabow sidelined with sore elbow

Bleeder of Black and Gold BnGBleeder's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Pirates Grabow sidelined with sore elbow

Pirates pitcher Grabow sidelined with sore elbow - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Pirates pitcher Grabow sidelined with sore elbow

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) -- John Grabow's elbow soreness has recurred, leaving Pittsburgh without the services of one of its most reliable relievers for the last three seasons.
    The left-hander hasn't pitched off the mound since working an inning against the Cincinnati Reds last Sunday, and the Pirates have no timetable for when he will pitch again.

"I've tried to pitch through the pain, but it got to be too much the last time out," Grabow said Saturday. "Hopefully, it will quiet down soon and I'll be back on the mound before too long."

Grabow made 203 relief appearances from 2004-06, ranking 11th among lefties in that span.

He pitched a career-high 72 games last season, six short of the Pirates' record for a left-hander set by Scott Sauerbeck in 2002. Grabow also stranded a National League-best 82.5 percent (33 of 40) of his inherited runners.
    "He is a very key piece to our pitching staff," manager Jim Tracy said.
    Grabow has not been on the disabled list in his major league career.
    "It started hurting toward the end of last season, but I was able to keep pitching," the 28-year-old said. "It calmed down during the offseason, but now it's hurting again. I've always prided myself on taking the ball anytime the manager has asked. I want my team to know they can count on me."
    Grabow had a cortisone shot earlier this week to reduce inflammation in his elbow. He hopes to throw off the bullpen mound Monday.

"We'll see how it goes," Grabow said. "I'm not alarmed at this point. I don't think it's anything more than inflammation."

The Pirates have only one other established left-hander in their bullpen, Damaso Marte. He was slowed by a strained lower back early in spring training.

The other lefty reliever is rookie Juan Perez, who made his major league debut with the Pirates last season after being claimed off waivers from the New York Mets in August. He went 0-1 with an 8.10 ERA in seven games.

Perez played winter ball in his native Dominican Republic, going 1-0 with a 1.83 ERA in 22 games. Another possible lefty for the bullpen is rookie Shane Youman, who has not allowed a run in two spring starts covering five innings.

Youman will pitch in relief for the first time this spring on Sunday, when the Pirates play the New York Yankees in Tampa.
    Notes
    Infielder Freddy Sanchez, last year's NL batting champion, continues to progress from the sprained right knee ligament he injured March 6 and should return to the lineup by the middle of next week. ... Infielder Nick Green, out since March 1 with a strained right big toe, is likely still a week away from seeing action.
    This really blows,we need him to come out of the bullpen and if his elbow keeps acting up...there goes almost any chance of getting to .500 this season.

It's nice to see that Freddy Sanchez is getting better from his knee injury,he's key to any success the Pirates have this season.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm not real worried about it. Damaso is a solid second option as the lefty setup man, so there's no reason for him to rush back. We need him 100% healthy, and not hurting himself again from coming back too fast.

As for Freddy, good to hear he's making progress and we dodged a large bullet on that one too.